The Cast

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: The Cast

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, in previous version she looked even younger :oops: I think probably the problem is in the lineart more than in the coloring. Will ask the lineart artist to try making her look older adding wrinkles :)
at-a-glance
Young scout

Post by at-a-glance »

jack1974 wrote:Just spoke with Aleema that warned me about the "redskin" thing:
"In American, redskins are a slang/slur for Native Americans (or "indians") and it is considered a racist term. Pairing the name Redskins with "they are considered an offshoot of the human race" might be a bad idea. "
She suggested other names like redhairs or bloodskins. If you have any suggestions they're welcome :)

(I know that maybe for some of you might be exaggerated but she's good at spotting such problematics and I want to play safe :wink:)
As someone who is Native American, I think this whole issue is blown out of proportion. Your redskins don't look like any Native American tribe I've ever seen, so I think you're good.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah thanks. Well I'll see then, might use redskin or bloodskin, I like both names. The race name is not something essential to the story, so not a big deal to change it, but thanks for the info!
Maelora
Woods ranger

Post by Maelora »

Rowinda kind of feels like a mix between Soul Calibur's Tira and Flemeth from Dragon Age...

Very cool, I'm really psyched for this game!
at-a-glance
Young scout

Post by at-a-glance »

jack1974 wrote:[img]this is Rowinda, the famous "crazy character" I was talking about some months ago. She has also other clothes beside that one, but that's her official fighting outfit :lol:
She is NOT a romance option!!
What?! For shame! Who wouldn't be into the crazy old woman? (Please, nobody answer that.)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

:lol:
I can't wait to read the "camp dialogues" with her. They MUST be awesome :mrgreen:
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

at-a-glance wrote:As someone who is Native American, I think this whole issue is blown out of proportion. Your redskins don't look like any Native American tribe I've ever seen, so I think you're good.
It's being respectful to those who have, in the past, really liked people to not have used the term "redskins" to describe a race of people. The fact that the art doesn't look Native American per se, could be considered the same insult as Johnny Depp (white man) playing a Native American in the new Lone Range movie. It's called white-washing (that movie role could have gone to someone who is actually Native American), or in some cases, playing "red-face" (similar to black-face, which is hugely insulting to black people). Not only could someone see that you're using a disparaging slang for a race (on top of the unfortunate wording of calling them sub-human), but not even depicting them as a people of color as the slur implies? It could be like two slaps to the face.

If you really are Native American, then I apologize for explaining myself to you. But to some Native Americans, this is an actual issue with the media appropriating/bastardizing their culture. Do I think Jack was doing this? No. It was an accident but problematic all the same. I don't care if it stays the same and nothing changes, just letting him know that there are those who could find this insensitive.
DunKalar
Woods ranger

Post by DunKalar »

I think bloodskin is a bit too cliche ;-)

Wouldn't it be more fitting to give them a synonym? They are assassins and as an assassin I would not want someone to know many informations about me or my tribe. This includes the name of my tribe, since it could lead to conclusions how to find it. Real assassins work through middle men in my opinion, so no one can locate them for acts of vegenance.

I would call them neutrally "the dune people" or something like that. Some mysterious folk of humans who live and wander around the endless deserts who are said to be the assassins in the night ... but no one knows for sure.
Or if they are only a part of those peolple, you can set them up as a cult ;-) "Sisters of the sands" or something like that.
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

DunKalar wrote:Or if they are only a part of those peolple, you can set them up as a cult ;-) "Sisters of the sands" or something like that.
That's a really cool name. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK I'll ask the writer how he wanted to develop that character (if he has already thought how, since he just started writing the story). If is a sort of cult made only by assassins, I like the Sisters of the sands name (assuming they're all females!) otherwise even the dune people could work. Personally I didn't mind bloodskins. Another suggestion Aleema made was redhairs. In effect she has red hairs :lol: