if you thought your connection sucks... :P

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
jack1974
Pack leader

if you thought your connection sucks... :P

Post by jack1974 »

my connection right now. This is the FAST one. I have TWO CONNECTION, I pay almost 100 eur/month, and now both work like this (before this one at least was going at 4-5mb down and 1-2 up!!!!).
I don't know how I managed to make two games this year in such conditions. Not even people in a 3rd world country in middle of nowhere have this shit connection... pardon my french :mrgreen:
grey_duck
Young scout

Re: if you thought your connection sucks... :P

Post by grey_duck »

Good thing your game files are relatively sm [...message buffering...]
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well I'm really glad I switched to itch.io for the latest two games - every new update was just 5mb to upload, so even with my terrible connection I could still do them relatively quickly. But if I had to upload a whole 180mb file... hard :lol:
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Is there something wrong with your physical connection (squirrels maybe?), or is the ISP just being cheap?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

It was working "great" until this December. Then big snow, some pole broke, no connection at all for 2 weeks. Then connection back very slow for 10 days and another snow, no connection for 1 week. Then it was always like this: either broken, or slow. A few times was back to the original speed (7mb down 2 up) for a few days.
I think it's the ISP fault since before it was working fine, and SOMETIMES it work at maximum speed again.
I'm going to try with some 4g connections while I wait for the fiber next year...
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

Hate to tell you, but is not a third world thing. I only get 50% better speeds than you are getting and I live in the US, there are some places here worse than 3rd world countries. Or maybe the US is just a 3rd world country now is just pretending.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha I know, depends on the situation. For example countries like Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary. Up to 2004-5-something they didn't even have broadband, then when they installed it, they did from scratch using the latest tech, and now have much better connection than many places in Europe. I know two people with insane speeds like 990 mb down and so on from Hungary :shock:
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Unfortunately, there is a lack of competition among the internet service providers in the US. ISPs may have a geographic monopoly in your area, thus they may be your only option. Many rural areas in particular are stuck with the slower dial-up and satellite connections. Compared to the UK and France, the US Internet speeds are slow for the price we pay for. That being said, there are parts of the world that are fare far worse.
Alex81
Woods ranger

Post by Alex81 »

Speaking of connections, Discord's been down most all day (on and off)