games using FMV?

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
jack1974
Pack leader

games using FMV?

Post by jack1974 »

Recently I stumbled into a sort of ... "visual novel / CYOA made with FMV" (full motion video):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/584980/Late_Shift/
I played it and the story was nice, even if the impossibility to skip already seen dialogues is a pain so I never played it again (seriously even telltale games have this problem).
Was wondering what people think. It's not art, but it's not manga :lol: so not sure. Personally I like it (of course I'm not planning to make one since would be impossible for me).
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: games using FMV?

Post by Franka »

Back when I was active in the freeware community, I played some FMV games, and what I remember most clearly was the lack of professional actors. This is generally what's kept me from playing FMV games, though I had a good time with Her Story a couple of years ago, and I'm eyeing #WarGames (both on Steam).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I suppose when there's animation/acting involved, if something it's done on amateur level it would stand out very clearly.
With static 2d hand-drawn art is easier :lol:
Though I really miss the possibility to do some animated stuff, but sadly either FMV or 3d characters it's outside my skills/budget :(
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

The only FMV games i've played were old Ted Murphy or wing commander style games.
It's neat to see the style coming back at least
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I tried replaying Under a Killing Moon last year.... time has not been kind to that game!
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

When it comes to interactive movies, I'm not against them, just I never got around to playing them.

However, I do like FMV sequences sprinkled into games. At the time, FMVs allowed developers to create scenes that wouldn't be possible with in-game graphics. I'm not a fan of the game's mechanics, but did like Final Fantasy 8's presentation, especially the use of FMVs.
Spoiler:
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Personally..... just no. No, just please no.