What are you playing?

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: What are you playing?

Post by jack1974 »

Today finished The Last Of Us 2 and I really enjoyed it, however a couple of things I didn't like:
- the length (I think it was a bit too long, but maybe because I was eager to see what happened next in the story)
- I played in the level next to the easiest and it was fair, but some scenes like some big boss battles were a bit too much "guess what you need to do next" and sometimes it wasn't obvious
- no map/indications, that was the worst thing. A lot of times I was wandering around unsure where to go next. I think that was unnecessary, a simple indicator to at least the direction to go to proceed would have been better
- the ending left me with mixed feelings :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
in the end I cannot say that I liked or not liked it. I wondered if Ellie or Abby would have died in the end, and none did. I was OK with sparing Abby's life in the end, but it felt a bit empty as it was. I'd have preferred some speech about something instead. The final ending scene was left open with the clear intention of a 3rd chapter, however I wonder if was necessary. I would have preferred an happy ending maybe, for once. There could have been still some scene hinting another game but at least ending the game with a happy Dina/Ellie scene would have been nice.
Anyway, overall liked it even if I agree that the first game story was better, but this is still a good game with many great moments.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I played the first Last of Us because a code for the digital version was included with my PS4 console. The story was better than I expected, but honestly, I didn't enjoy the game itself that much. There is something about modern AAA games where control is taken away from the player in favor of more realistic presentation. I like the Left Behind DLC more than the main game since it maintained story elements, while the combat scenarios was alleviated.

I recently finished KOTOR 2. I usually don't use mods that might greatly impact the game experience, but I made an exception ( used TSLRCM mod) due to the vanilla game being unfinished and buggy. Also, the screen would start tearing on a widescreen monitor so had to use Flawless Widescreen to make it playable. Oddly I enough, I didn't need to take such measures with KOTOR1, which I finished a month or two earlier.

I'm currently playing CrossCode. Personally, I find it quite challenging in terms of both puzzles and combat. Thankfully, the game has difficulty sliders (enemy damage, attack frequency, and puzzle timers) to make it more accessible to lesser skilled players.
Last edited by Jaeger on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha yes the gameplay of both games is not the best. This last one is improved, especially if you do melee combat, there's a lot of variations and it feels cool to kick ass that way:
https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/ ... 6131521537

There are also some crazy "boss fights" like the rat king who left me a feeling of dark souls or something. But the best of all is the story.
Since I finished it I kept thinking about it (something that rarely happened) and I now consider it the game with the best story of all I've ever played :)

After that I got Jedi fallen order but... I am not liking it much at all.

KOTOR2 was great, I remember playing it :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

So recently I bought another game from same company who did Until Dwan and the first unfortunate game of the "dark pictures". This one was about Little Hope (Salem, witches, etc) so I thought to give a try.

Well sadly, while it's better than previous one (less way to get stuck with their absurd control/camera scheme) I still didn't like it that much. The characters aren't attractive at all for example :lol now I understand why my players says certain thing. I mean not everyone must look like a top model, but at least a couple attractive characters there should be.

Instead I'm enjoying AC:Valhalla even if I think it's inferior to Odyssey which remains my favorite AC of all times. Still, it's a good title in the end.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Honestly, I don't even feel like trying Little Hope, it looks dreary.

Instead, I've thrown myself into Yakuza: Like a Dragon, a fresh take on the Yakuza series with RPG combat. I love this series for its complete absurdity as well as its sudden high strung drama, and this still delivers. Throwing crumbs at body builders to make a flock of pigeons attack them never gets old...
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Heh I never tried a Yakuza game but since this one has RPG-elements I might try it too!
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I am somewhat interested in Yakuza: Like a Dragon. I have been in a mood for a JRPG. I'm currently deciding between Trials of Mana, Dragon Quest XI, Nier Automata, Trails in the Sky SC, or Trails of Cold Steel.

I'm trying to play some games in my backlog. Recently finished Full Throttle Remastered and Lost Horizon 2, Oxenfree, and Deus EX: Mankind Divided. Currently, I'm playing Geneforge 4.
Last edited by Jaeger on Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winkie22
Young scout

Post by Winkie22 »

If you want good story and good char development choose trails. But if you haven't played the first in the series most of the story doesn't make sense. I recommend play trails first chapter first then sc then the third. trails of cold steel takes place after sky it's not necessary to play them after you finish those but you will get major spoilers if you do. I hope that helps with which your gonna play next
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I tried playing Trails once, but all I can say is, it was not for me. DQXI is fine, if you know what kind of game Dragon Quest is, plenty to do, pretty character designs but not exactly the height of originality - Unlike Nier: Automata, but that's not really an RPG, J or otherwise. It's also a game you have to complete 3-4 times, or you'll be missing out on most of the game, but at least each playthrough is fairly different.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Sadly I don't play anymore games with a lot of texts. I think when you make those kind of games yourself, after a day of work you want to relax and not READ EVEN MORE TEXTS :lol:
(also in a foreign language that doesn't help for sure lol)