Sakura Dungeon

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
Franka
Elder Druid

Sakura Dungeon

Post by Franka »

Ok, so I have 0 taste, but I've been playing Sakura Dungeon lately, and wow, the things you can with Ren'py. First person dungeon crawler? Didn't expect to see that. Nor did I expect to see a Sakura game with actual gameplay in it. Pretty long too. The story is pretty much ass, but hey, I didn't expect more.

If you got a dungeon crawl code down, this would be something you could do in your spare time too. :P
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Sakura Dungeon

Post by jack1974 »

They probably reused a fee/opensource dungeon crawler that has been available on Ren'Py forums since a while.
I actually wanted to do a dungeon crawler already several years ago, called "Tower Of Destiny" (now on hiatus). The prototype I had was more advanced (not "blocky" movement):

However was obviously not done in Ren'Py :) So if I make a new one, I'll use Ren'py, but I'll code my own stuff since the free one while it's "OK", can be improved. For example if I remember correctly you can't even seen the enemies, you just "stumble" into them without warning? :o
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

jack1974 wrote:They probably reused a fee/opensource dungeon crawler that has been available on Ren'Py forums since a while.
Ah, that was probably the base for what they did.
For example if I remember correctly you can't even seen the enemies, you just "stumble" into them without warning? :o
Well, a bit of both actually. Random encounters that you can't see, and fixed encounters with a big, floating "Battle" icon.

In any case, I enjoy dungeon crawlers, and it doesn't hurt that it's sexy fun time too. I'm sure you could do an enjoyable one, with less sexy fun time, I suppose. :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha who knows. I might do something really hot (with a "censoring" option of course) one day :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I didn't know such a thing was possible with Ren'py. I'm a latecomer when it comes to 1st-person dungeon crawlers, having finished Soul Hackers a few of years ago. I would need an automap or at least an in-game map drawing tool (like Etrian Odyssey), otherwise I would get hopelessly lost.
Last edited by Jaeger on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha yes, an automap nowadays is a must. I remember when in the first games there wasn't. I think in Dungeon Master and maybe even Eye Of The Beholder? lol has been so far ago that I don't remember anymore myself, even if I played them all! :oops:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Luckily, Sakura Dungeon has an auto mapper. :) And holy smoke, I have 33 hours logged in the game!

Back when I started studying at the university, my friend and I were playing Eye of the Beholder, and one of us was controlling the characters, the other one was drawing the map. It was like a social event. :lol: Of course, we had already been doing that years ago with the Gold Box D&D games, so it was like a ritual.

The best part? I still have some of those maps in a drawer somewhere.