Blackguards

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Blackguards

Post by jack1974 »

Yeah my brother for example (who plays a lot of RPGs) loved it, so maybe it was just me :)
abnaxus
Woods ranger

Post by abnaxus »

In a game like Blackguards, though, hit chance and dodge make a lot of sense considering enemies generally don't have a lot of HP (e.g. 50 HP is considered an awful lot in that system). What they changed from P&P though is giving enemies more than one dodge per turn.

Besides IIRC there were ways to increase hit chance. I.e. powerful moves had a lower base hit chance but you could increase hit chance on a next attack if you used a low damage but very accurate move first.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, but instead of a hit/miss I think that even with low HP would make more sense to at least inflict "some" damage.
Normal hit with axe bla bla : 5-10 dmg Miss: 1-2 dmg or even just 1, but at least is less frustrating when you have 65% to hit and miss 6 times in a row with different characters like happened to me! :lol:
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

rooke30 wrote:I'd be INCREDIBLY annoyed if Blackguards took out dodging. It's a different sort of game for different sort of folk and eliminating dodging because it's not fun will dilute the tactical nature of the combat.
I get really confused when people say that % chance things make something tactical or skill based. If your tactics require the aid of RNGsus then how is it truly tactical or skill based? When you randomly get a critical hit or your enemy hits that 5% chance of missing, isn't that luck, not tactics? I get that you play the odds, but I think the luck aspect is much more prominent from the tactics, and removes the tactical elements.
If you have a 70% chance to hit, a 30% chance to crit, and a 50% chance to apply a status effect, and all 3 happen, that is a 10.5% chance. If your opponent misses their next attack with a 95% to hit, that is a .525% chance to happen. Now, the probabilities are a bit better for something similar happening, but it doesn't change that it's still a pretty small chance. It's hard to say that that's tactics, a less than 1% chance of things going their best, since aren't tactics supposed to be about planning how to do your best. Tactics would be positioning units in places to flank the enemies, not them having a 5% better chance to hit than the other guy.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

A method similar to the one I described is used in Endless Legends, a x4 game which has a sort of minigame for battles (I didn't like much the game overall even if is well done).
In practice when you attack you have groups of % based probability to deal X damage, for example:
20% = 10-15 dmg (sort of critical hit)
30% = 6-10 dmg
45% = 2-4 dmg
5% = 0 dmg (the complete miss)

which is IMMENSELY better than situations like: 50% chances to hit, 50% to miss completely doing 0 dmg :lol:
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

That's a much better system, and it manages to move past the tactics point I made somewhat, even if I still take issue with calling getting a lucky roll as tactics :lol: .