Searching for a Gun/Aggro Rpg like PS

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Searching for a Gun/Aggro Rpg like PS

Post by deathknight1728 »

I want to get a good party focused game with ranged combat being strong like Planet Stronghold. Its got to be turnbased and for game boy advance or pc. If anyone knows of any I'd be glad to find some. I like these games.
?
fleetp
Druid

Re: Searching for a Gun/Aggro Rpg like PS

Post by fleetp »

I can think of a couple of PC games with turn based combat, "Neverend" and "Gods: Lands of Infinity"

These are older games that critics didn't like, but I enjoyed playing.

Additional information is at the linked sites.

http://www.gamespot.com/neverend/

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/gods- ... f-infinity

Free demo for Gods:Lands of Infinity
http://www.gamershell.com/download_20322.shtml
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Fallout Tactics
Silent Storm
XCOM Enemy Unknown

Unfortunately, all of the others have I can think of at the moment are made for platforms other than the PC and Gameboy advance.
Last edited by Jaeger on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

There is a remake of UFO Enemy unknown available from desura: Xenonauts. I gave it a one-star-review, one or two years back. Meanwhile the stability is better, but the design flaws are still there. If you find the original somewhere, buy it rather than the cheap remake.

I would recommend Fallout tactics, already mentioned by Jaeger. Or possibly Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. Fallout Tactics is less an RPG, but it has more focus on squad tactics. Just remember to set the options to "turn-based" right on the start, the real-time mode is no fun. However, I do not know if the early Fallout titles are available anywhere. (Last year GOG gave them away for free, as end of 2013 they lost the distribution rights, and I don't know if anyone else has them...)
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

Another XCOM-inspired game is UFO:AI, free (as in freedom), round-based and imho fun to play. Though not really a RPG, the soldiers gain experience but this happen automatically in the background.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

If it's squad based combat that interests you, go Jagged Alliance. The first two, JA and JA: Deadly Games, are old now, but still great gameplay. JA2 is so great the rights for it have been passed around more times than... *ahem* ...maybe I shouldn't finish that sentence.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I played the first two a lot, were great games (even if quite unforgiving!). I think their spiritual successor is Silent Storm though more than the (poor) various sequels they have done :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

After Sirtech that made JA passed away, nothing good has been done with the license, or the imitations of it. So stick to the Sirtech games.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

AFAIK there were no "official" JA-games since Sirtech passed away. There are JA and JA2, and an extension each for the games. Last year I started replaying both JA and JA2, and I found JA2 is still really fun, but JA has not really withstood the time passed. Back in the days both JA and JA2 were major timesinks for months.

Eidt: I forgot the real-time games. :-( Only saw some trailers, which were enough to insta-forget.

There is now a sucessor in development called "Jagged Alliance Flashback" made by Full Control (danish guys with experience). I backed when they were on kickstarter, but if the result is any good remains to be seen. The first alpha is out these days, but only for people who pledged 250USD or more (quite insane amount, IMO).