Dysfunctional System ep2 and 3.

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
Aralee
Young scout

Dysfunctional System ep2 and 3.

Post by Aralee »

First of all, hi everyone!

It's the first time I'm posting on the forum, and I know it may seem rude to begin my arrival by a new topic about something else than Winter Wolves's games, but in my defence I can say that it's been quite a while since I've started skimming through the forum, it's just that I didn't have much to say, until well, today, it seems. So, please, forgive my rudeness? *puppy's eyes* (I swear, if my offence is too great, I'll make myself hara-kiri for forgiveness.)
Oh, and sorry for my english if there's anything wrong, I'm not really comfortable with it, but I'm doing my best to be understandable (when I understand myself, of course...Yeah, my mind can be a bit intricate for me too.).

So, what was it that was SO important that it made me muster all my strength to sign up and tap on my keyboard? (I'm not lazy...not at all...not even a tinsy bit, I swear.)
Well, I'm a VN fan, and I'm always willing to do what I can to support indie team working on good VN's. (Buying their games, speaking about them is another, and of course, when comes the opportunity, pledging on Kickstarter projects)
So here I am to speak about Dysfunctional System from Dischan. Maybe everyone played it or heard of it, but well, if only one person can learn about this game with this post, it's still good to me.

So, Dysfunctional System is a short VN, but in the short time it took me to play it, I was enthralled by the ambiance of the game, art, sound and story were really good for the small game it was. I strongly recommend it, not only because it's good, but it's quite cheap too (I think?). For more information about it, I guess I'll have to link the official site: http://dysfunctionalsystems.com/ (if it's a problem to put a link, I can still remove it, of course.)
(As you may have noticed if you skimmed through the link, Dischan also made Juniper's Knot, another lovely short VN, for free this time,you can give it a try, you won't be displeased.http://junipersknot.dischan.org/)

Back to the subject: Dysfunctional System was supposed to be an episodic VN, up to 5 games. But that's where the sad part of the story is! The game sold quite well and was one of the first VN on steam, and it was well received by most, unfortunately, priced too low and because of many discounts to make it even more popular, it wasn't enough for Dischan to keep working on it, and they had to put a halt to the project, unable to continue the serie. (I must say, I was disheartened to read their news about it...)
They intended to wait until they had more money to start back the project on their own, but the fanbase proposed the idea of a Kickstarter project to finish the serie....And here we are nowaday! O joy, 5 or 6 days ago, something like that, the kickstarter project was started. There is a bit of change concerning the project (the previous art lead is not in charge anymore, and it's not 5 episode that are scheduled but 3 (well, the 2nd and 3rd, that is.)) but it's still here, the end of Dysfunctional System, awaiting to be funded!

So, well, I just thought I could at least spread the word to other VN fans, in case you missed the news or didn't know about Dysfunctional System at all.
Here's the kickstarter for those interested, or if you want more accurate informations: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/di ... al-systems
There's quite a panel of pledge tier, from the "every dollar counts" to the "Become a Sponsor and show off your company name!" type of pledge.
Anyway, I don't have much else to say, or at least I can't remember what else I could have wanted to write, but, huh, yup, that's all...I guess...need a nap...now...too much writing...brain is dead. (I'm not serious! I'm not that lazy! Don't get the wrong impression of me! Nooo, don't categorize me as a lazy person, waaah!!! *cough* Sorry, I got caught up in my own craziness.)

I hope I'm not being troublesome making this post, if it's a problem, I don't mind if it's deleted...(I'll turn into Hulk, but I won't mind, honest...no, really, not a problem at all. My skin is not turning green at all at the only thought of it, it's only because of the light.)
Oh, and if anyone knows about any other good VN project on Kickstarter, I'm all ears, so don't hesitate to write about it here, any time!
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Dysfunctional System ep2 and 3.

Post by jack1974 »

I approved your post, but it would be better if people like Dischan, very talented and capable of making better games than mine, but STILL NEWBIES to the business side, would listen to advice from "old/veteran" indies like me. I was the first to tell them on twitter that they priced the game too low but they didn't listen and now they're in this situation :)
Aralee
Young scout

Post by Aralee »

I can't agree more with you on this(I mean, listening to advices from those with more experience, huh), it's a hard world out here, especially when it comes to money management, hopefully they won't make the same mistake again if they get through this difficult situation. (Especially since the community of VN readers in the west is generaly willing to pay a bit more when the product is good(well at least I am...I mean, getting japanese VN can be expensive, so I won't say no to a good one at 20$, even if there are other greater games in other genre for the same price...Well, that's impossible since VN's are the best kind of games but...wait, where was I going with this parenthesis anyway?))
Still, thanks for the approval!
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

I'm not privy to WW sales numbers, but I'm more then happy to pay 20-30 bucks on games here so jack and his collaborators can keep bringing us wonderful games, then to throw them to the masses for 5 bucks to try to draw in more people.

It's a very niche audience so it's smart to cater to it, and get by on a small-medium loyal community.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

I certainly wish them the best.
jack1974 wrote: I was the first to tell them on twitter that they priced the game too low but they didn't listen and now they're in this situation :)
And this is also a good example that just because something is on a Steam sale, it certainly don't guarantee success either.

Don't get me wrong, I can't fault someone waiting for a sale either. However, I also worry that with the relatively common Steam sales (and this isn't including their big ones), if it doesn't hurt indies because people just won't pay until later. I mean, it is nice if they do well a few months down the road, but that may not be enough to put food on the table, or pay for the lights for today.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Personally I think pricing the game low from start hurts much more than time-limited sales. I want to do sales since I know that not everyone can afford to buy the games fullprice, but when I see some indies that have their brand new game on Steam and the next month are in a bundle with 8 games for $3, it seems just crazy to me :lol:
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Thanks for bringing this project to attention! I'm backing it. However, it's true that even if Dischan are not motivated by profit, they still need to recuperate their costs if they ever want to continue making more games...which means marking up the price.

On the the hand, there are a lot of games out there that are extremely low prices, usually from hobbyist developers or those with a huge following....it makes it difficult to reach the masses who only see VNs as walls of text with static pictures.
candesco
Young scout

Post by candesco »

In the first place what a game makes or break is it's quality. What does it have to offer? Is it worth it's money? Is it interesting? And is it also replayable?
Games come and games go every day. There are some good games coming out, but even so there is also alot of bad ones. And nowadays alot of shovelware is released.
If i look to myself when buying a new game i first look if it's interesting and worth it's money. Also, i have to admit that i also look if a game is cheaper priced elsewhere, cause sometimes the price is a bit too high.
I make use from the steam sales as well as the special actions on Good Old Games. Last christmas GoG came with special prized bundles, like a D&D bundle. I got also the first 2 fallout games for free. I also have to look what i could spent or not, as i only can spent my money once. It's easy to blame the buyers, but if a game doesn't sell then the dev has done something wrong. By the way; you can even make free games and still earn profit. Grinding Gear Games shows this with their online rpg Path of Exile. I play this game myself. Path of Exile does have a shop, but it's optional, as it's in general cosmetic things. It ain't a so called pay 2 win game. You can play it solo, which i do. One of the better parts of PoE is it's difficulty and also the several locations and the huge skilltree. And it's replayable. Lot's of people play it.
As with VN's and their price: it does matter if it's interesting or not. Also, a VN doesn't have an engine. Can't deny that it's quite static. And in that case you can't ask too much.
One VN ain't the other however. If i look to this dysfunctional system then i can't say it interests me. It's quite a heavy story and i also read there are just 2 endings. Oh sure, it does look good. But if i have to choose between this one or the first heileen, then i go for the latter. Because although heileen's graphics are lower it looks more inviting.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

It's unfortunate that the project has failed to come to fruition. I can see why Jack doesn't feel comfortable with crowdfunding.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yeah I have already enough pressure on my own, I can't imagine if I raised $50-60k and then somehow had trouble finishing the game... :shock: