the cat of Tom Shatz :D

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
P_Tigras
Druid

Re: the cat of Tom Shatz :D

Post by P_Tigras »

Miakoda wrote:
Love em and leave em type are you?
Changeling was my favorite line after Werewolf.
I really liked the concept behind Changeling: the Dreaming, and it made for some great free-form RP, but the rules were broken, and the game didn't quite fit the World of Darkness theme of the other games in the line. It was more of a World of Melancholy, than a World of Darkness.

As much as there were some things I really liked and miss about the original Changeling, I like the new version, Changeling: the Lost, a lot more. It's a pity they had to rush the resolution of High King David's kidnapping when the original line got axed, and if I recall correctly, one of the Kith books, and all but one of the Kingdom books, never got published. Pity that.
Now it makes me want to dig up my Rokea supermodel ;)
:o

That's certainly.....original... :?
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

P_Tigras wrote:I really liked the concept behind Changeling: the Dreaming, and it made for some great free-form RP, but the rules were broken, and the game didn't quite fit the World of Darkness theme of the other games in the line. It was more of a World of Melancholy, than a World of Darkness.
Oh, I certainly agree with it being broken. Heck, to even interact with the rest of the supernaturals, they had to create the 'Call on the Wyrd'...otherwise your troll warrior, or sidhe noble might look like a high school student or smelly hobo.
As much as there were some things I really liked and miss about the original Changeling, I like the new version, Changeling: the Lost, a lot more. It's a pity they had to rush the resolution of High King David's kidnapping when the original line got axed, and if I recall correctly, one of the Kith books, and all but one of the Kingdom books, never got published. Pity that.
They did have some good metaplot going. What is a shame is they didn't even allow those things to go out as a pdf.

However, I did like Changeling: the Lost a lot. It did what the Dreaming should have done. It kept the world of glamour, but turned it on its side, befitting the fae. Sometimes dark, sometimes light. Of course, when they had Justin Achilli head it up, that was a plus. It did well enough they actually made a few more books than initially planned.

One of the conceits I really disliked with the old World of Darkness was the approach 'This game line should be kept separate...you allow cross-over, it becomes a gothic Superfriends." Mind you, I agree there is truth to that approach, but most people do gravitate to a certain sort of 'supernatural' character. Myself, I was always partial to the weres ;)

However, I was one of those who could find something to appreciate in all the games, even Demon and Hunter.

Sadly, I pretty much just deal with White Wolf for Exalted (whenever they finally get out with third edition).

Well, different if nothing else :D If you had a chance to look at the breed book, there was a civil war of sorts among the Rokea...those who found life among the shore-based rather interesting, and wanted to stay there, while the others wanted to keep the Rokea pure as much as possible, and stay away from the land dwellers.

Heh, my character was one who liked life on the land. Of course, I paid through the teeth for a high Appearance, but it was rather amusing when the local Toreador, who thought he was going to munch on a model that night, got an entirely different encounter.

I admit, I also liked the Mokole. Who wouldn't like building their Archid form?
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

Miakoda wrote:
P_Tigras wrote:I really liked the concept behind Changeling: the Dreaming, and it made for some great free-form RP, but the rules were broken, and the game didn't quite fit the World of Darkness theme of the other games in the line. It was more of a World of Melancholy, than a World of Darkness.
Oh, I certainly agree with it being broken. Heck, to even interact with the rest of the supernaturals, they had to create the 'Call on the Wyrd'...otherwise your troll warrior, or sidhe noble might look like a high school student or smelly hobo.
Yep, and don't get me started on the bunks...
They did have some good metaplot going. What is a shame is they didn't even allow those things to go out as a pdf.

However, I did like Changeling: the Lost a lot. It did what the Dreaming should have done. It kept the world of glamour, but turned it on its side, befitting the fae. Sometimes dark, sometimes light. Of course, when they had Justin Achilli head it up, that was a plus. It did well enough they actually made a few more books than initially planned.
It did extremely well. To this day I'm surprised that they stopped at just a few additional books. They could have taken the Lost a lot farther then they did, but I suppose they just didn't have the resources any more. White Wolf is a lot smaller than it used to be. The new World of Darkness hasn't worked out well for them. That's why they've brought back much of the old metaplot with the 20th anniversary editions.
One of the conceits I really disliked with the old World of Darkness was the approach 'This game line should be kept separate...you allow cross-over, it becomes a gothic Superfriends." Mind you, I agree there is truth to that approach, but most people do gravitate to a certain sort of 'supernatural' character. Myself, I was always partial to the weres ;)
I gravitated to mages, but I spent more time playing weres for that very reason. Mage games were hard to find unless I GM'd them myself. I ended up joining a were game since there were no open mage or vamp games at the time in my area, and because the games didn't mix well, I couldn't just add a mage (or gaia forbid, a vampire), to a pack of weres. I had fun though, and that campaign lasted the longest of all the WoD campaigns I joined. Heck, my gaming group eventually made my silent strider philodox pack leader. Although personally, If I had my choice among all the were's, I'd go with the Khan for obvious reasons. (points at screen name). The Ahadi mixed "packs" of were's they introduced in Africa at the tail end of the line's existence made for an intriguing option however, but then they axed the line. :(
However, I was one of those who could find something to appreciate in all the games, even Demon and Hunter.
I never really was able to get into Demon in the old WoD. The concept was interesting, but the books that were written for it didn't really pull me in. Hunter was enjoyable, and I had a lot of fun playing an Inquisitor for a bit, but I preferred the main lines. I wasn't thrilled with how overpowered hunters became in the new WoD however. They weren't the underdogs any more, and that was much of their original charm. Instead they became almost super-hero like, and if I wanted to play superheroes, I'd play a different game. Then again there wasn't much I liked about the new WoD aside from Lost and the the improved rules mechanics that allowed for better crossover games. I never played White Wolf's games for their rules however, their rules system was always among the worst. I played their games because of their incredibly vivid metaplots that made their world come alive in my imagination. When they took the criticisms of a small minority of gamers that the world was too complicated, too seriously, they destroyed the very thing that kept most of their fans with them, the incredibly rich world that everyone was so heavily invested in.
Sadly, I pretty much just deal with White Wolf for Exalted (whenever they finally get out with third edition).
I don't play any WW games at all any more. They pretty much lost me in the transition from oWoD to nWoD, but I have many fond memories of the good days. I detest both the new vampire and the new mage games. I never really had the opportunity to try out the new were game, and after seeing what they did to the other two, I didn't really have the heart to look. I hear Exalted has become fairly popular however. Hopefully they'll never blow up that world the way they did the old WoD.

Well, different if nothing else :D If you had a chance to look at the breed book, there was a civil war of sorts among the Rokea...those who found life among the shore-based rather interesting, and wanted to stay there, while the others wanted to keep the Rokea pure as much as possible, and stay away from the land dwellers.

Heh, my character was one who liked life on the land. Of course, I paid through the teeth for a high Appearance, but it was rather amusing when the local Toreador, who thought he was going to munch on a model that night, got an entirely different encounter.
Wow! I'm sold. You can play that character at my table any day. :mrgreen:
I admit, I also liked the Mokole. Who wouldn't like building their Archid form?
It's great fun to be able to turn into godzilla! They should have written an adventure for Mokole that involved the destruction of Tokyo! Imagine stomping on cars and buildings, pulverizing the Japanese military, and being able to regain rage by chomping down on power lines, and then spending that rage to produce huge gouts of fire. Ok, maybe that would have been a big Veil breach, but what a way to see out the Apocalypse!!! Ooooh....a monstrous free for all like in some of the later godzilla movies, where godzilla the mokole and his friends are actually the "good guys" trying to save the world from one of the Wyrm's Talon's which has come down to destroy the world, starting with Tokyo.... 8)
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

P_Tigras wrote:Yep, and don't get me started on the bunks...
I am with you there :) That was one rule we ditched after the first day of gameplay. Then again, I haven't run across anyone who played the Storyteller system that didn't have to come up with hacks/fixes/etc. for it.
White Wolf is a lot smaller than it used to be. The new World of Darkness hasn't worked out well for them. That's why they've brought back much of the old metaplot with the 20th anniversary editions.
Yeah, CCP's purchase may have kept it going a little while longer, but in the end didn't help much. I mean, the RPG side of things is pretty much done through Onyx Path.
I gravitated to mages, but I spent more time playing weres for that very reason. Mage games were hard to find unless I GM'd them myself.
Mages were great, but for an inexperienced ST, could be a pain. Their abilities were just too open-ended. Of course, that is what I loved about them.
I ended up joining a were game since there were no open mage or vamp games at the time in my area, and because the games didn't mix well, I couldn't just add a mage (or gaia forbid, a vampire), to a pack of weres.
It can work, though it does take some effort.

What I found best was to take the rules, and essentially make my own world, tossing out the politics, etc. This way, one could create an alliance among the Silver Fangs and Khan, keeping the Simba and Shadow Lords at bay ;)
Although personally, If I had my choice among all the were's, I'd go with the Khan for obvious reasons. (points at screen name). The Ahadi mixed "packs" of were's they introduced in Africa at the tail end of the line's existence made for an intriguing option however, but then they axed the line. :(
The Hengeyokai also showed an interesting take on it, one certainly influenced by thousands of years of human culture.

Khan are an excellent choice. Ceilican were my go-to of the Bastet.
I never played White Wolf's games for their rules however, their rules system was always among the worst. I played their games because of their incredibly vivid metaplots that made their world come alive in my imagination. When they took the criticisms of a small minority of gamers that the world was too complicated, too seriously, they destroyed the very thing that kept most of their fans with them, the incredibly rich world that everyone was so heavily invested in.
Agreed on the rules :) Of course, they gave other reasons to close the line (such as saying they were hemmed in, etc.) but I tend to be a little more cynical. They saw how many iterations other companies did with games (whether AD&D or video games) and figured their fans would just buy it all again.
I hear Exalted has become fairly popular however. Hopefully they'll never blow up that world the way they did the old WoD.
They came damn close. CCP was all set to close the line, and then the Alchemical and Infernal Exalted books sold really well. This was at the time when they decided to stop doing any actual printing, and released one more hardback: Return of the Scarlett Empress. Within revealed the servants of the Yozis going into high gear, trying to destroy/corrupt the world sufficiently for the Yozis to escape from Malfeas itself.

*shakes head* It took a lot of effort (and more books) to keep the game line alive, and even up to third edition. Sadly, the only way to get anything is to buy the pdfs through DriveThru RPG (which does have an option for Print on Demand if you want a book as well. Needless to say, that can be expensive)
but it was rather amusing when the local Toreador, who thought he was going to munch on a model that night, got an entirely different encounter.
Wow! I'm sold. You can play that character at my table any day. :mrgreen:
Heh, I always liked taking a certain occupation and thought, "What would happen if they suddenly changed?"

Imagine someone who worked at the Department of Motor Vehicles, handing out driver's licenses, suddenly Awakened as a mage.

And in some ways, this is why I do like a lot of Winter Wolves games. There are a lot of rich storylines, even if it is done as fanfiction. I mean, Elenor being the object of affection between Loren and Karen was great. Even now, I have a hard time playing their confrontation scene ;)
It's great fun to be able to turn into godzilla! They should have written an adventure for Mokole that involved the destruction of Tokyo! Imagine stomping on cars and buildings, pulverizing the Japanese military, and being able to regain rage by chomping down on power lines, and then spending that rage to produce huge gouts of fire. Ok, maybe that would have been a big Veil breach, but what a way to see out the Apocalypse!!! Ooooh....a monstrous free for all like in some of the later godzilla movies, where godzilla the mokole and his friends are actually the "good guys" trying to save the world from one of the Wyrm's Talon's which has come down to destroy the world, starting with Tokyo.... 8)
That was actually one of the scenarios they did in their Time of Judgment book for Werewolf :D

Of course, one reason to tear apart the Veil is to also shatter humans' disbelief...which would allow the werewolves to call upon their spiritual allies. Much easier said than done with a lower Gauntlet.