To Jack-Vamp Rpgs

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

To Jack-Vamp Rpgs

Post by deathknight1728 »

I was going to say that you are unique, but I bet you already know that :) I was thinking that I know you are busy but since you always like to brainstorm, I had an idea since your pretty open-minded.

Since you made a fantasy/rpg of epic proportions with Loren, A Sci-Fi Rpg of awesomeness with PStronghold, Roger Steel is Post-apocalyptical rpg. Hm...what about if I want to howl like a wolf and cry to the moon ;)

But seriously, I think that a vampire rpg (way in the future) would be just flat out awesome. And seeing as nobody makes vampire rpgs anymore, this one would be sick. Your open to new ideas and I think that a vampire rpg with alot of the things that work for Loren/things that work for PS-would give everything I could want for an rpg. Also, in case im wrong, last time I checked there were a lot of people that love stuff in that category. Sinister, different classes/races, bloodlines feel. Just pure awesome!

You dont have to do any of this, I just thought it would be epic.
?
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: To Jack-Vamp Rpgs

Post by jack1974 »

Yes it is a good idea indeed. It's surely one of those settings I would like to explore more. I loved Vampire: Bloodline game, and the vampire lore is very interesting (but not just that, even the werewolves/witches/zombie stuff is cool).
By the way Roger Steel is Steampunk, not post apocalyptic. Post apocalyptic is like Fallout series, another setting that I like too. Ahhh too many RPGs to make! :lol:
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

jack1974 wrote:Yes it is a good idea indeed. It's surely one of those settings I would like to explore more. I loved Vampire: Bloodline game, and the vampire lore is very interesting (but not just that, even the werewolves/witches/zombie stuff is cool).
By the way Roger Steel is Steampunk, not post apocalyptic. Post apocalyptic is like Fallout series, another setting that I like too. Ahhh too many RPGs to make! :lol:
I loved the brilliantly crafted meta-plot White Wolf developed for their original Vampire, Werewolf and Mage games. While I haven't looked particularly closely at their new Werewolf game, the new Vampire and Mage games are dull in comparison to the originals. Given that Bloodlines was based on the original, they kind of screwed themselves over on the computer game front too, making it impossible to create a proper sequel since they had blown up the world in which it took place and replaced it with something very different.
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

P_Tigras wrote:
jack1974 wrote:Yes it is a good idea indeed. It's surely one of those settings I would like to explore more. I loved Vampire: Bloodline game, and the vampire lore is very interesting (but not just that, even the werewolves/witches/zombie stuff is cool).
I loved the brilliantly crafted meta-plot White Wolf developed for their original Vampire, Werewolf and Mage games. While I haven't looked particularly closely at their new Werewolf game, the new Vampire and Mage games are dull in comparison to the originals. Given that Bloodlines was based on the original, they kind of screwed themselves over on the computer game front too, making it impossible to create a proper sequel since they had blown up the world in which it took place and replaced it with something very different.
Yeah Vampire TM-Bloodlines was such a good premise and had such a cool class/race system. I loved being able to have differences between races in the game. It made the game much more replayable. Things I always like about games are races and classes and how each race can do certain things different. Like in Avernum, you can play as a nephil or human as an archer character and do the game just fine. However, if you want to role-play a little, you can play as a slithzerikai (big tough spear user) and still use bows and in a unique way. The cool thing about that little way of playing is that you actually are playing the game a completely different way, which makes it more cool. You are able to take more hits which normally cripple an archer character of a different race. As a slith, you can naturally take more punishment which means they are like secondary fighters that can slay enemies at point blank range.

An excellent class/lvling system can make games that are good 5 times better. Take a look at Planet Stronghold. I can start up a character and make them in a certain way with different selected skills that are unique, only to finish the game and play it completely different. That is what other game developers need to teach new and aspiring developers of rpg games. Story and gameplay are important, but replay ability and an almost immaculate lvling up system like the ones mentioned makes the game epic.

If anyone doesn't believe me, go and check out the Avernum/Geneforge games. Even when they are all remade, they will still have the unique facet of playing the game however you choose.
?
adelrex
Young scout

Post by adelrex »

I LOVE Old Word of Darkness Vampires (and owod in general) but I hate pretty much everything else vampire related. Most of them are either Twilight-like crap (that means they are terrible), or wod rip-offs (which can be good I admit) anyway. Pulling off a good vampire story is pretty hard.
Most of winter wolves games are either dating sims or romance is a large part of them. I still like them, but I don't think I would like a vampire game to be like that :D Well, I guess I won't mind it if it's well written...and uh, not the main focus. (I am now imagining what bloodlines would be like with romances. That's so...wrong xD )

Speaking of Avernum while I liked the combat I really couldn't get into the story. I eventually dropped it. Still don't know why people like it so much.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I've maximum respect for Jeff Vogel, and when I was younger I loved his kind of games, however now (15 years passed from his first game!) I prefer games with bigger sprites, more art... I know that even in mine there isn't much animation, but only having huge wall of texts and a small portrait like in Avadon doesn't motivate me to play it :oops:
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

jack1974 wrote:I've maximum respect for Jeff Vogel, and when I was younger I loved his kind of games, however now (15 years passed from his first game!) I prefer games with bigger sprites, more art... I know that even in mine there isn't much animation, but only having huge wall of texts and a small portrait like in Avadon doesn't motivate me to play it :oops:
I have to agree with you about the wall of text. Although I don't mind the look from Avadon on, the walls of text from time to time can be very annoying. Sometimes I would just shout at the computer-"Enough already, someone shoot/poke something!"

I could honestly careless about animation. As long as there is my character in the game, I can visualize a battle going on and with my stats, create more roleplaying than in real time. I have all their tactics down right when I am first starting the game. What weapons they use, what preference of fighting, etc.
?
candesco
Young scout

Post by candesco »

adelrex wrote:I LOVE Old Word of Darkness Vampires (and owod in general) but I hate pretty much everything else vampire related. Most of them are either Twilight-like crap (that means they are terrible), or wod rip-offs (which can be good I admit) anyway. Pulling off a good vampire story is pretty hard.
Most of winter wolves games are either dating sims or romance is a large part of them. I still like them, but I don't think I would like a vampire game to be like that :D Well, I guess I won't mind it if it's well written...and uh, not the main focus. (I am now imagining what bloodlines would be like with romances. That's so...wrong xD )

Speaking of Avernum while I liked the combat I really couldn't get into the story. I eventually dropped it. Still don't know why people like it so much.
In VtM:B you do have sortkind of romances though. If you play the cards well you end up with jeanette voerman in bed.
And in The Witcher, the first one, Geralt does it with a bruxa (in act III if i'm not mistaken).
I think it could be interesting by the way, dating vampires. And thinking of it, boy do i want to date that red haired vampire woman in the castle of n'mar expansion of loren. Hmm, is this a wrong idea now?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

candesco wrote: boy do i want to date that red haired vampire woman in the castle of n'mar expansion of loren. Hmm, is this a wrong idea now?
You're not the only one :lol:
One day might make something about that character's story :)
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

jack1974 wrote:ve maximum respect for Jeff Vogel, and when I was younger I loved his kind of games, however now (15 years passed from his first game!) I prefer games with bigger sprites, more art... I know that even in mine there isn't much animation, but only having huge wall of texts and a small portrait like in Avadon doesn't motivate me to play it :oops:
Oh, I did not mind the wall of text in Avadon. Often better than todays so-called RPGs of AAA fame.
Where Avadon lost me was the mission where you needed to kill the foreign Lord (and the whole family, castle and city...) I mean it is clear that when playing a "Hand" of Avadon I get to be the neighborhood bully; but this mission was too much for me. There was not even a possibility to reject the mission. Thats where I stopped playing.
candesco wrote:boy do i want to date that red haired vampire woman in the castle of n'mar expansion of loren. Hmm, is this a wrong idea now?
I just killed her, and good riddance.