Violence and Video Games

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Violence and Video Games

Post by deathknight1728 »

Im sure by now that everyone in this forum has heard of what happened at Sandy Hook elementary. I want this forum's idea on what is causing some of this bizarre stuff. Is it video games and not having much contact with the outside world or something else? I know that some people just can't be dealt with but there's got to be some solution to why this happens.

I myself find that when it comes to games, I usually avoid really sadistic and violent as it just doesn't appeal to me and I usually cannot enjoy the experience. Ive read studies that say that the people that play those video games aren't necessarily violent at all. I find that the games I play are usually fairly easy to watch as though they are mature in nature, they are still not what I would call extremely violent.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this happens? I don't think that guns are mostly to blame although having them didn't help.
fleetp
Druid

Re: Violence and Video Games

Post by fleetp »

Mental illness.
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Mental illness, as well as needing better diagnosis and treatment in the US for people.

Video games shouldn't even be a part of the discussion, and while I do think they need better gun control, Mental illness should be the focus of improvement in the US
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

Sylrissa wrote:Mental illness, as well as needing better diagnosis and treatment in the US for people.

Video games shouldn't even be a part of the discussion, and while I do think they need better gun control, Mental illness should be the focus of improvement in the US

Not just in the US.
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

Im of the belief that firearms only complicate things. When kids/young adults have access mixed with mental health like many have said its a recipe for disaster. Usually if a child has access to them but has all of their health up there, problems dont arise. When mental health isnt there, its usually bad on all aspects as they will search for ways to get guns like in columbine. Its sad that the world we live in is so mixed up.

My grandmother who has dementia used to say something funny about all this that I still laugh as it makes sense-"Whenever I get angry or upset I just drink a chocolate milkshake and feel better right away." Its laughable what she is saying but in a way its not a bad mentality compared to others. Alot of it is also coping with things as some cope better than others.

This is one of the reasons why I think most people are aided when playing positive video games like these. Its a release that has helped people like me with stress and not worrying about stuff.
ReadyOrNot
Young scout

Post by ReadyOrNot »

I don't think mental illness is the only problem since you'd have people with mental disorders in every society and not only in the US. But this does not only come from video games - I think a major factor is how "outsiders" are treated in America and therefore somehow automatically end as mentally ill. As someone who spent some time over in the US, I was really shocked how people who are not keen on being everybody's darling are absolutely ignored or even worse: dissed. And in bad ways. I am German and we have outsiders as well, but extreme mobbing is really an exception round here - plus: it is not that easy to get weapons round here so that gun rampages are not that simple to happen around here...maybe
this will be interesting for some of you
I play games.
Shaun White