Types of characters you like or want to see?

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
thesleepykitten
Official writer

Types of characters you like or want to see?

Post by thesleepykitten »

Everyone loves a good romance when the character is interesting and likeable. :D (I hope ^^; )

(Sorry, bad at making topics. ^^; But maybe it'll encourage people to post here etc, since I'm interested...)

In various otome/dating sims etc there's archetypes - the jock, the bookworm, the nerd, the nice guy, the bad boy, playboy, the tsundere, (yandere!) etc, or similar personalty molds that have become a staple.

So I was wondering... is there a character type you wished to see more of? Or a character with a certain trait that you would like to see explored? Whether it's an obstacle the character has to overcome, a quirk, a physical appearance (human or not), or is into a hobby that isn't really common.

And for fun, what are your favourite types of characters?

I confess I love megane characters (characters that wear glasses.) Like Ryan from Winter in Fairbrook, Lawrence from Always Remember Me, Travis from Alistair, and I'll probably go for Darren from Nicole first. I don't think it's really the glasses themselves, but the traits that come along with it. (i.e. logical, rational, seemingly cold and rude but warms up to you, or very shy/awkward socializing around people, may or may not love studying/books/video games/computers.) I don't think I've seen many jocks that also happen to wear glasses? :lol:

As for more characters I want to see... Still thinking. ^^;
MarSel
Druid

Re: Types of characters you like or want to see?

Post by MarSel »

I like the joker, always love a laugh plus I married mine <3
Zelos was my fav joker because when you got his pairing you found out way he is the way he is and flaming red hair win/win
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

As male player I like strong/determined women :mrgreen: As game author I honestly like most of the personalities you mentioned, but if I have to pick one I like the "crazy" personality like Frebo of Spirited Heart. I mean the genius type, maybe somewhat arrogant, but also unpredictable. Is very fun to write and to play 8)
Lady Dee
Young scout

Post by Lady Dee »

I have a soft spot for characters that fall in love at first sight or are quick to develop a crush on the MC, I like to have at least one of those characters in games that involve a relationship system. I also like characters that are socially awkward but when you get to know them better they are quite adorable. And I like the characters that are really friendly without being the pushover nerd or a flirt that is overly friendly. And last but not least I like the spoiled rich kids who are nice in their own way but are still pretty bratty. Basically I like every character type except for pushover nerd or megane. I'm not very picky but at the same time I am XD
thesleepykitten
Official writer

Post by thesleepykitten »

I adore the socially awkward characters as well, especially when they have a sweet side to them that they had trouble expressing before.

And I also like strong/determined women as well, especially in an otome game. I don't mind RPing a variety of personalities, but I love it when the main character has a bit of spunk to her (Re: Alistair, etc.).

Loved Zelos in Tales of Symphonia. I'm usually not a fan of playboy types, but Zelos was hilarious and super fun.

Glad to read all of the suggestions/likes so far.

Are there also types of characters you *don't* like seeing in otome/dating sims...?
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

Character that are full of themselves but don't seem to have a reason for it i.e tragic past.

I love Alistair+++
jtitor
Young scout

Post by jtitor »

I guess I like cute and adorable, then snarky and cool and then tragic bad-idea trainwrecks. Don't know which I'm drawn the most, I would say trainwreck and cute stuff, so I prefer them combined :)
Also Sauzer is Varric level of cool so naturally I want more characters like this. Every game needs Varric.
And I'm with Lady Dee on crush stuff ^^
biscuit
Woods ranger

Post by biscuit »

I generally like the characters that are a bit more of a challenge-- glasses aren't necessarily required, but it seems that most of the ones I like do! (like Re:Alistair, Rhett from Lucky Rabbit Reflex, Ryan from Winter in Fairbrook) They need a bit of time to penetrate the cool/prickly shell, but are nicer once you get to know them.

I also like characters that have a sense of humor, since it makes me (as a player) like them more, and I find it endearing. The humor and the challenge aren't mutually exclusive either! It makes it feel more special for me that I managed to 'win' their heart.
thezooqueen
Young scout

Post by thezooqueen »

These kind of stories are always fun

A expunk or badguy/criminal meets a lady *just barely at age* in distreess. She need help. At first he wants nothing to do with her and shrugs her off. But as she hears the voices of her pursurers coming closer she begs/bribes him. ((He is not a bad guy anymore but hard to shake the years of experiaance)) He gives in to her relentles begging if just to get her to quit crying..... Take it from there
daikiraikimi
Woods ranger

Post by daikiraikimi »

I really like strong female characters as well-- I am also a huge fan of gender non-conforming characters. You barely ever see them, though.

One thing I really, really like is bifauxnen and cross dressing female characters/reverse traps. Explanation: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Bifauxnen

Also rough and masculine female characters (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheLadette)

I would also be interested in seeing a trans character. I think that there could be a really interesting story built up around them!

It's nice to have this kind of thing once in a while-- a heterosexual couple with reversed gender roles. Another thing of note is the difference between "beauty" and "cuteness" in male and female characters. Like, a beautiful and elegant male character or a really adorable male character. I would say in general I prefer "beautiful" characters to cute ones, but lots of people like both male and female cuteness. Anywho, those are the types of characters that I like to see! I think that Winter Wolves does an excellent job of this already-- lots of variety in love interests across different games. :)