Nicole tips/tricks

A mystery life sim set in college http://www.winterwolves.com/nicole.htm
ankewl
Young scout

Re: Nicole tips/tricks

Post by ankewl »

Oh man can't believe the game is out! Congrats on the great sales! Btw, I remember a blog post where you said that Nicole could still get a good ending by solving the mystery by herself. Is that still the case or did you change stuff? Haven't been tracking the changes too often lately...

Can't wait to buy it soon!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah no sorry, that case/option was removed, since you need the help of one of the boys to solve it :oops:
ankewl
Young scout

Post by ankewl »

jack1974 wrote:Ah no sorry, that case/option was removed, since you need the help of one of the boys to solve it :oops:
That's a bit strange though because it means you need to romance someone to understand and solve the mystery. :(

That sucks a little for people like me who play all your games without romancing anyone and just for the story (jack please don't kill me now) :lol:

Btw, I still don't see Nicole on Desura :?:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm not planning to put the dating sim anymore on Desura since they sell very poorly (much worse than on my own site) so is not worth it for me and for them.
And what you don't play the games for the romance!? :lol:
OtterFace
Young scout

Post by OtterFace »

jack1974 wrote:Ah no sorry, that case/option was removed, since you need the help of one of the boys to solve it :oops:
Aww! That's a bit of a disappointment, really. Considering how intelligent she is, it would be nice if she could solve the mystery by herself. I understand the underlying inner conflict of her needing help and feeling unable to ask for it, which creates an interesting dynamic with her partners, but it's not exactly...empowering for her as a woman to need a man to save her in the end.

Still, I like how she had to physically jump in and
Spoiler:
save Darren. Male damsel in distress! :wink:
After replaying the game a few times, though, I'm still wondering why
Spoiler:
she would go and confront her stalker alone in the end. Especially after being so terrified.

She was shown to be sensible and smart earlier in the game. It would make sense for her to at least call the police before going into that building alone, even if she was reluctant to get in touch with the authorities to begin with. She seems to understand the danger ("for all I know, I could be walking into my death"), but then goes and does it anyway. It's a bit confusing. :?
Any thoughts from the writer?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

As often happens with game dev, we had several issues during the development. The plot was written by a previous writer, but the result was not the best. Unfortunately I had already the images done, in which there were all the boys fighting with the culprit so we couldn't change that. For the next games I'm trying to have the plot done FIRST and the art later, so the writer don't have restrictions and have more freedom.
So all the things you mention were a bit forced on the writer from previous situation... :oops:
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote: For the next games I'm trying to have the plot done FIRST and the art later, so the writer don't have restrictions and have more freedom.
So all the things you mention were a bit forced on the writer from previous situation... :oops:
It is to your credit to admit when such things happen. However, I definitely find it laudable that you are also trying to avoid such situations in the future.

And I also look at it as a learning experience. As the writer for Loren admitted, she wished she had made Elenor a bit 'stronger' than how it came about...which bodes well for Loren 2.

but it's not exactly...empowering for her as a woman to need a man to save her in the end.
And this could have been mitigated a little if the GxG version had been ready on release day as well.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes exactly, when the GxG is out you'll need the help of another woman :) But also in one of them, Nicole will save one of the girl. The GxG was planned later so I could do things better!
suburbantimewaster
Young scout

Post by suburbantimewaster »

Like I said in my review,
Spoiler:
I hope that your intended message was that there's safety in numbers and not that a woman can't survive without a man.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Heh well if you know me a bit / played a few of my games, you know well how I consider women (definitely not weak!).