Sneak Preview #21 - Roger Steel: Missing in Action

A steampunk RPG
FenCayne
Young scout

Re: Sneak Preview #21 - Roger Steel: Missing in Action

Post by FenCayne »

daikiraikimi wrote: You also have games like Mass Effect where you can date aliens which I doubt most people find attractive, but their personalities are great so looks don't really figure in.

Well, as far as Liara went, she had quite a figure. For us guys and our little friends, the blue skin and tentacled head was just detail ... Not so sure the appeal of the lizard guy (Thane Krios) though (By all means, enlighten me, ladies, because it can only make me a better writer for you! :lol: )
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

jack1974 wrote:
FenCayne wrote:... and here. As I mentioned before, being unconventionally attractive is a difficult trick for an artist to pull off, but I'm sure Jack knows just the one for the job :)
I think Loren's artist can draw that kind of female looking boyish rather well. Imagine Elenor (who has short hair) with smaller breast size and dressed with more male clothing and I think is already good :)
Yeah, I'm a guy who appreciates a more modest bust and girls with pixie cuts. :lol:
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

jack1974 wrote:Hmm I think I need to go in the dungeon and grab my motivational spiked mace... :mrgreen:
Arrgghhh ... Rolled a Critical! :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The spiked mace never fails! 8)
SpectralTime
Woods ranger

Post by SpectralTime »

FenCayne wrote:
daikiraikimi wrote: You also have games like Mass Effect where you can date aliens which I doubt most people find attractive, but their personalities are great so looks don't really figure in.

Well, as far as Liara went, she had quite a figure. For us guys and our little friends, the blue skin and tentacled head was just detail ... Not so sure the appeal of the lizard guy (Thane Krios) though (By all means, enlighten me, ladies, because it can only make me a better writer for you! :lol: )
Much as I'd prefer to wax poetic on the virtues of a profoundly non-humanoid figure...

Liara, and the asari race in general, were never really... well, attractive. Samara maybe. Mostly, it's the fact that they're obviously just humans with blue skin and goofy hair-equivalent. Makes me feel pandered to. I mean, Tali has face-tentacles, right? And that photo was just a joke between the two of them... right?! Right?!!

And Liara was just... well, I've said I didn't really and truly dislike any companion in any Mass Effect game, and I'll stand by that, but Liara's easily the one I like the least. She's just... well, flat and bland, and the fact that the game keeps assuming I feel one way or another about her is just offputting.

I can actually help you with Thane the best way an internet nerd knows how: obsessive website linking. The devs published a diary of their experiences trying to engineer Thane to have the reaction you describe, with much frustration and turmoil along the way. Here ya go.
The spiked mace never fails!
Tell that to my D&D character.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think an important aspect in determining the "sexyness/sex appeal of a character" is also the voice, something that sadly I wasn't able to include in my games. I mean, Tali was wearing that mask all the time but I really liked her voice in the game. Maybe one day when time/budget will permit, will have all the game dialogues voiced...
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

jack1974 wrote:I think an important aspect in determining the "sexyness/sex appeal of a character" is also the voice, something that sadly I wasn't able to include in my games. I mean, Tali was wearing that mask all the time but I really liked her voice in the game. Maybe one day when time/budget will permit, will have all the game dialogues voiced...
That's a good point. I didn't find Liara particularly attractive physically, but I loved her voice, as I did Tali's.
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

Yes voice acting was a great selling point for me for all of BW games <3 Femme shep. But if you do decide to go that route for future game be wary, for I rather have just text than poor voice actor(ess) playing a role. You can write the perfect game but cheesy and poor VOs can kill the a game. As your company grows so will the budgets, so one day we will see epic games with complete VOs from here. *nods sagely*

And back on topic, you need any chains to keep Fen at his desk, tends to go well with the motivational spiked mace.
SpectralTime
Woods ranger

Post by SpectralTime »

The thing about voice acting is... there's no way to be delicate about this, so I'll be blunt. Yes, good voice acting enhances the qualities of a text, but that goes both ways. If the writing it good, voice acting makes it better. If it's a little awkward, a little under par, then voice acting will only underscore that, or even make a line that otherwise wouldn't raise eyebrows stick out like a sore thumb. Especially if they make me think about line delivery rather than a character's speech.

The little sound-bites you already have are fine by me. They're like cooking with just the right amount of salt, and manage to enhance without overpowering.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Indeed for the reasons you two mentioned, I never went to add voice acting to them. Also, I notice that even when there are pro voice actors/actresses involved, I still see people moaning in forums "was better without voices" even when you can actually simply turn them off. So in summary from my point of view, it was never worth the effort... I think battle voices will be enough for now.