Planet Stronghold 2 beta begins!

Discuss the sequel to Planet Stronghold here
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Planet Stronghold 2 beta begins!

Post by jack1974 »

It's the private messages system though so in theory not essential and you could skip it, but I thought it was working, did you start a game from scratch or continued a save? Strange, but I think I could update the beta with a fix if needed.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

It works as soon as you actually get a message on day 4, but on day 3 when there are no messages yet, I get the error.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah good to know, thanks. I won't update for this since you was able to go on. I'd like to resume updating when I finish coding the game, likely end of next month.
But of course keep sending bugs. For balancing, I made already many tweaks to battles so the experience might be different in the final beta :oops:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Quick update: I have finished the main plot quest, now working on the various branching paths and endings. This last chapter is short but has a lot variants so will need to test it carefully (luckily the main choice is at beginning of chapter so it doesn't take much to re-test it).
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

For future balancing, Matrick Breeders are crazy. I am overleveled, playing on easy, decent equipment, yet those things hit super fast, super hard with Stun Punch, which also delays, and Heavy Punch that's free to use?

In my next game, I'm definitely going back to pistol dancing, it's much more efficient than using slow weapons.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks, I think they're a bit too powerful indeed, but basically is the heavy punch that is overpowered, if I nerf that down they should be easier.
I have made so many changes, that I think slow AOE weapons like bazooka are essential towards the end because enemies have high armors and you need a mix of fast-armor degrading weapons and heavy hitters (sniper rifles or heavy weapons).
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I tried raising Aim and that does help with damage on the slower weapons, but I'm playing on easy, so nothing should be too hard.

Anyway, I notice that the Epic helmet Gaia's Crown cannot be equipped by anybody. Looks like it's a non-usable equipment type, PsionicHelmet, and should be PsionicArmor?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah could be - in any case I have it equipped in my party by Rumi so probably was a bug fixed in this version already :)
With the new lowering HP/PP regen I think battles are much better, at least in the last chapter when I tested them, fighting against enemies with high PP and healing was a pain, and even if Rumi and her healing / PP Regen is what was keeping alive my party members I also did some other tweaks like Harm now adds a damage over time debuff, so I think is more balanced now - you can choose if to stay on the defensive or offensive.
Compared to the old build I also increased the healing of the Scouts (Cure, which also clears debuff) so it's not just a matter of using the psionics only to heal.

I think I'll update the game again shortly after I finish the main story (while editor is fixing texts), so at least people play the version with the new rules even if will still end at chapter 2.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I have no doubt it will make end game simpler, I'm just worried about effects on early game.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Early game are minimal: at beginning you don't have high HP/PP regen anyway :) I mean, I have 21 PPRegen right now with Rumi but at the end of the game. In the beginning even picking the right skill lines with Rumi, it will be difficult to reach 10PPRegen.
There are also the items you can use (Aquapura) to restore PP, which before this change they were rarely used, and now instead I reduced dramatically the wait time, so you can drink one and your character can move immediately after.
As posted on twitter, this change will impact more enemies than party - when facing enemies with multiple healers, they were the toughest battles (enemies could keep resurrecting/healing allies). So those battles aren't really easier but they're shorter since enemies can keep their spam-heal strategy for the whole battle.

So I think is better - of course, some tweaks could still be needed and that's fine :)