crafting and stuff

Discuss the sequel to Planet Stronghold here
jack1974
Pack leader

crafting and stuff

Post by jack1974 »

So I almost finished the crafting screen, but I am a bit stuck on this gameplay/rules thing.
Currently it works like this: you can obviously get items when you loot enemies after a battle. Depending on the battle you can get powerful items (like a boss enemy dropping a Rare or Legendary item). And this is fine, it's how it works in my other RPGs too.

Now, crafting, it works like: you find datapads during your travels, each datapad contains a blueprint for an item (Masterwork, Rare). You can't know what this item is until you decrypt the datapad and decide to craft it. It's a bit like the loot boxes :lol: You spend resources to craft it and see the resulting item (you get a sort of "preview" but it's very obfuscated).

My doubt is: does it make sense? or it would be just pointless? I mean you get randomized items drop even in the fights after all, this would just be "get randomized item but you need to go in the crafting screen and spend resources". I will balance it somehow, but still seems to repeat the same process.
Is there any way I could improve this? any feedback is welcome :)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: crafting and stuff

Post by Troyen »

So you can't actually see what you're crafting until you do it? And you don't even know what type of gun or item you're crafting until you spend resources on it? That sounds more of a hassle than it's worth.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

You know the rarity/level, if it's a light/medium/heavy armor or helmet, and if it's a weapon (but not which type of weapon, might change this).
I could remove the need of spend resources to decrypt and only have players pay if they actually craft it :)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

At the very least I don't know if it'd ever be useful if you couldn't know you were crafting a sniper rifle or an assault rifle. If the stats are random, that's one thing, but weapon type? Especially since in this setting you would assume there'd be less randomness from all the advanced technology.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes makes sense to show the weapon type as well :)
Also, stats are "random"; however the main stat (damage for weapons and defense for armors) it's always scaled to the level and with the quality in mind.
I mean, if you craft a rare level 10 item, it will ALWAYS be better than common level 9-10-11 item for example.