The romance graph!

Discuss the sequel to Planet Stronghold here
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: The romance graph!

Post by jack1974 »

For sure it's a complex character and I think I'll ask the help of some trans people I know to write her (even if she isn't a trans, actually is an alien, but still :lol:).
SimonStardust
Woods ranger

Post by SimonStardust »

Wouldn't it actually make more sense for an alien of an overall hermaphrodite species to react a bit confused regarding gender terms set by humanity? Or at least be indifferent about it? Maybe Lakadema's species doesn't care about pronouns, gender, etc. at all. Because they usually don't get in touch with those things.
Well, of course those are just some speculations. ^^
Beware! Peerons ahead! xD
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, I think that would be the case. Anyway, it's still really too early to worry about such things now :) Once we get to write it, I'll think about it carefully!
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Sylrissa wrote:
ValHallen wrote:
SirSlothMan wrote:Hmm, not sure then, I just want to make yuri romance to a pretty alien girl, is that so much to ask? :lol:
You can romance Lakadema, just remember Lakadema isn't a girl and has both genitalia.
Who says she is not a girl?, It's actually far more nauanced than that. It's gender *identity* not something as simple as "what's in your pants". and boiling it down to anatomy is a gross oversimplification of the issue. It has nothing to do with what is between her legs whether she is a girl or not
Well said, I completely agree with you.
SimonStardust wrote:Wouldn't it actually make more sense for an alien of an overall hermaphrodite species to react a bit confused regarding gender terms set by humanity? Or at least be indifferent about it? Maybe Lakadema's species doesn't care about pronouns, gender, etc. at all. Because they usually don't get in touch with those things.
Well, of course those are just some speculations. ^^
That was my line of thought when I assumed she will be gender fluid.
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

When I read about Lakadema the first time, the book that came to mind was Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness. If my recollection is correct, the 'aliens' in the novel do not have any specific gender characteristic outside of when they mate. When the time comes the pair morphs into a 'male' and 'female' counterparts that are not preset. A "permanent" human male was considered pervert in the eyes of the aliens as he's basically always looking to reproduce. Correct me if I recall this awfully wrong, I'd hate to do injustice to Le Guin. :)

Awesome book, by the way.
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

Sylrissa wrote: Who says she is not a girl?, It's actually far more nauanced than that. It's gender *identity* not something as simple as "what's in your pants". and boiling it down to anatomy is a gross oversimplification of the issue. It has nothing to do with what is between her legs whether she is a girl or not
Lakadema species has only one sex, you are trying to apply human values to an alien species.
How an alien species with only one sex will have gender dysphoria? Do you think their culture would evolve to have male and female views?
jack1974 wrote:For sure it's a complex character and I think I'll ask the help of some trans people I know to write her (even if she isn't a trans, actually is an alien, but still :lol:).
But why a trans people would help with her?
Lakadema doesn't have gender dysphoria, all of Lakadema's species are Hermaphrodite.

Lakadema is an alien, the worst thing that could happen is to try to humanize Lakadema's gender. If you try to put trans' views on it, then the gender will no longer be alien.
DarkWolf wrote: That was my line of thought when I assumed she will be gender fluid.
And that was my line to say Lakadema is not gender fluid, Lakadema's species might have gender fluid person, but not as we, humans, understand. Remember they are alien with different views on gender, I doubt they have cis, trans, non-binary views, because they have only one species.
Calling Lakadema a girl is wrong to me because of it, how a alien species with only one sex will adopt male or female views? They are both, and trying to impose a human view on them is wrong to me, we should accept as they are.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Anyway you (not just ValHallen but everyone) assume things about a game that is not even out, nor written. That's the problem :) So probably a LOT of things will change regarding the plot and story, since nothing it's set in stone yet. Once we get to do this for sure any feedback is welcome. I mean, you can give feedback even now, but we don't know yet how things will play out, if that alien race has one sex, if can be any sex, if can change sex, if ... (you get the idea! :lol:). She's a powerful creature, so really we could decide to go any way possible with her :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

ValHallen wrote: And that was my line to say Lakadema is not gender fluid, Lakadema's species might have gender fluid person, but not as we, humans, understand. Remember they are alien with different views on gender, I doubt they have cis, trans, non-binary views, because they have only one species.
Calling Lakadema a girl is wrong to me because of it, how a alien species with only one sex will adopt male or female views? They are both, and trying to impose a human view on them is wrong to me, we should accept as they are.
And what is a closer a humans have to being both genders? Sure if you want to put it down in biology there are some humans that are Hermaphrodite but those people usually see them self's as only one gender, the closer humans have to being both genders are gender fluid people. I am not sure if you understand what gender fluid means but basically it means that you are both a boy and a girl at a same time and at a same time are neater, sure there would be some difference as human gender fluid people grow up in society where genders exist therefore they often struggle to understand themself while in an alien species like Lakadema's it would be something for granted and yea because of it they probably wouldn't even have a term for gender fluid but that is what they would be. So yea She is and isn't a girl at a same time, that is what gender fluid means.
jack1974 wrote:Anyway you (not just ValHallen but everyone) assume things about a game that is not even out, nor written. That's the problem :) So probably a LOT of things will change regarding the plot and story, since nothing it's set in stone yet. Once we get to do this for sure any feedback is welcome. I mean, you can give feedback even now, but we don't know yet how things will play out, if that alien race has one sex, if can be any sex, if can change sex, if ... (you get the idea! :lol:). She's a powerful creature, so really we could decide to go any way possible with her :)
I think we all here know that we are discussing the idea that might change by the time the game is out, and on that matter I would like to say that I personalty wish that it doesn't as I like current idea very much but I would understand if you do decide to change it as I understand how hard it will be to write Lakadema's characters if things are left as they are. (Just please don't change how cute she is "insert puppy eyes here")
Ryocchi
Woods ranger

Post by Ryocchi »

I know this is a constant source of headache for you Jack but is it really really too late to ask for another guy for the yaoi side? XD

I envion Cliff as the tender super romantic option, Milo is funny and cute, but I think we lack the super sexy factor and any of the three straight only dudes can fill the quota nicely *wink wink* thank you XD
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

It was already a LOT of effort to get the artist to finish the current sprites (took 3 years!), that I'm afraid won't be possible to add more characters :(