Planet Stronghold 2 - the journey begins!

Discuss the sequel to Planet Stronghold here
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Planet Stronghold 2 - the journey begins!

Post by jack1974 »

Today got the first prototype of the new RPG framework by the coder Anima! I think that today can officially mark as the beginning of the RPG gameplay development, that will surely take a good amount of time to finish (have still to define the skills and design the battle GUI). But is a very important step, for the first time I can feel the project is going to become a reality next year :wink:
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

I almost didn't believe it myself, finishing the first milestone this year that is.
Most people seeing the prototype would be probably disappointed, but for me finishing the mainloop has always been something pretty great.
Seriously I could spend hours watching the vicious battle of the two virtual warriors, a drama only told trough text messages. ;-)
Of course, those hours can be better spend. There is still a lot to do, but we are finally on track again.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hehe, well this time with this game want to try something different, before designing 1500 skills I want first to get the BASICS working, simulating lots of battles with AI to determine the best attack/defense values and then gradually add skills or special attack step by step to balance everything more carefully, since what seems to work "on paper" very often doesn't on the actual game! :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Today did a "stress test" of 1000 battles AI vs AI. It was fun to watch, and I even played a bit with the attributes even if everything is a bit temporary now:

Code: Select all

All team the same  TeamA win: 577 TeamB win: 423

TeamA has 120hp  TeamA win: 899 TeamB win: 101

TeamA has 15 accuracy  TeamA win: 950 TeamB win: 50

TeamA has 15 evasion  TeamA win: 990 TeamB win: 10
as you can see the evasion attribute is the one with the highest impact for now :mrgreen:
This is good since in the final game I will have an idea of how each attribute has an impact - of course the human player should be smarter, but at least now I have some unquestionable stats on which I can base the item creation, enemy, etc 8)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

After some weeks of "pause" to release Heileen 3, I went back to working on the colony building simulation metagame. So far I have this:
not much, but once I get the artist to do the assets will look much better, I promise :lol:
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Great, I really love the kind of games where you build up a city/fortress/whatever almost more than RPGs. Having a mix of the genres is like heaven. :-D

My only question is: I would not have thought that RenPy supports this, may I assume you needed to add quite a bit to make such a metagame possible?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes is a lot of complex coding. Well, easier than in other languages IMHO, but still definitely not simple. Not like "New Game->Create Building Sim->New" :lol:
ill_intent
Young scout

Post by ill_intent »

Without giving away anything spoilerish or specific, how is the story in #2?

At the risk of sounding like a douche, I found the first game's story to be, er, um, weak. (I'll leave the critique at that out of politeness :oops: )

It doesn't take away from the fact that it was an enjoyable rpg as far as difficulty, and tactics went. That was a fun thing to encounter especially now-a-days where so many game developers (main stream and indie) are afraid to make things actually challenging. I am just curious as to whether more effort has been put into the story this time around, or if it's more of an expansion of the playability that worked so well last time.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

I know Jack1974 tapped Aleema to write Planet Stronghold too (she wrote Loren), so I do think the story will be better.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No worries, the story of the first was poorly written by myself :lol: so I can understand the critics.
PS2 was initially written by Aleema but now a new writer, Shaun, is taking care of it, so Aleema can focus on Loren sequel (since I think what everyone is more interested into!).