Planet Stronghold: Warzone dev thread

Discuss the sequel to Planet Stronghold here
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Re: Planet Stronghold: Warzone dev thread

Post by Lonestar51 »

Jack1974 wrote:Yes exactly. So right now if there's an enemy hidden behind a door, you can't avoid the combat. But maybe will change the behavior based on some non-combat skills like Survival and similar.
I think this would be a good idea, would add some replayability. Do I train the meanest bashers, or do I train a team which moves like a ghost through the levels?
at-a-glance wrote:If the second game is anything like the first I don't think I'll be doing much fight dodging. Grinding was too important in PS1 to skirt combat.
Maybe the gal/guy who detects first the enemy would get some XP for finding the enemies - whether it is by running into them or by finding them in time for avoiding them.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well last time I spoke with Anima, the plan was to have grinding but really required only at max difficulty level. Some important skill upgrade would be tied to specific plot scenes, to avoid problem of balancing... see Loren where some (crazy haha) people reached level 25 before chapter 3 :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

an example of an event happening in the isometric map. Certain tiles can trigger events, and party character can interact. Here you see Philipp in his usual relaxing and friendly mood :wink:
Elmsdor
Young scout

Post by Elmsdor »

Ah exploration sounds cool, so similar to the hovercraft one then, works :) Haha, nasty joke there :P

But there be random battles too? Or will see.

Have you considered how you encounter an enemy? Perhaps if you approach a bad angle, you get last strike, or first strike from a good angle? Perhaps an angle to denote the way they are facing. Run into head on, equal last strike or normal, side way = advantage, behind them = first strike?

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxx O xxxxx
xxxxx V xxxxx

etc

Cheers
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well so far it works that in some cases you "stumble" into an enemy just hidden behind a corner, so you get a sort of surprise attack by enemies. I haven't spoken with Aleema but I think should be possible to check if you saw the enemy before or if it was a sort of ambush and change the battle accordingly.
As for "behind them" is really not possible to do that since the enemies are represented with plain 2d icons, so there isn't really a "behind" :lol:
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Will there be some stat which improves the chances of getting "first strike"? Either directly or be "seeing" what is behind the corner?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes some skills should have impact on that, but before making any decision the new battle system needs to be finished to see it in action. But shouldn't be too hard, since the game battle uses a timer system like Final Fantasy early titles, so to simulate any bonus or ambush would be enough to start the battle with one of the two sides with a time penalty/bonus.
Note that the timer can be both turn based or semi-real time, so is not like you won't be able to plan your moves like before :wink:
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Sounds interesting. With getting some pressure through the "semi-real-time" it will make it even more fun. (And with turn based for the first time, so I can learn the new system at my pace.)

Though, on second thought, I would just lob a granate behind the corner if I suspect something... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

That strategy always works! ...until you run out of grenades :mrgreen:
Elmsdor
Young scout

Post by Elmsdor »

Granted, the enemy icons may be represented in a 2D manner, but you can always use colour, or arrow indicators to highlight their facing perhaps?

Like O>

Or <O,

It could be even a mini puzzle in a way too.

Such as, if you approach the boss from the long typical front, the boss may get a Preliminary round of Alpha Fire, for the heroic approach. Or if you found that secret door, or used another walk way and approach it upfront or another direction, the boss may have no time for an alpha strike.

Just ideas. I replayed PS1 and found the environmental skills unlocked pathways which may give a minor tactical advantage perhaps. Or Disadvantage.

Approach a boss from behind? The Reinforcements will arrive even faster! :P

Food for thought, etc.

Just thinking what was the point of the Isometric maze, unless it was a automapper/satellite/visual diagram of the dungeon crawl. In which case, that works fine too

Cheers