Reset your Life?

Forum for the Loren Amazon Princess spin-off games
Anima_
Druid

Reset your Life?

Post by Anima_ »

As already noted in the skill thread we'll definitely have a reset option that will unlearn everything and give you back your points. A true reset.
The question that remains is of course how to do it. What are the requirements and limitations?
Can you simply do it any time like changing clothes? Or only at the start of every chapter? Does it cost anything? Gold, XP, fame, or something else?

For once I really have no preference at all. So what do you want/need?
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
Harbinger1975
Young scout

Re: Reset your Life?

Post by Harbinger1975 »

I think it should cost something. Gold would be the best. And maybe done in a main city only. So you have to actually think about what would be best in the next battle.
"Direct intervention is necessary. Assuming direct control."
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I should ask the writer about this, maybe it could be tied to a specific location/character. Anyway personally I think should have some cost, maybe varying based on the difficulty level ?
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Some games use a rare and/or expensive item to reset your skills. If the game has a flow like your past RPGs, having the option at end of a chapter could work as well. Having unlimited resets dilutes commitment and thought put into character/party builds, but providing a limited use or a cost will allow players a second chance if they gimp themselves too much.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Jaeger wrote:Some games use a rare and/or expensive item to reset your skills. If the game has a flow like your past RPGs, having the option at end of a chapter could work as well. Having unlimited resets dilutes commitment and thought put into character/party builds, but providing a limited use or a cost will allow players a second chance if they gimp themselves too much.
It sort of depends on how the bosses are planned. If you have something like Deceit at the end of a chapter which requires a totally different build than the rest of the chapter, the reset is not all that helpful. Would be nicer to have unlimited resets, but make them expensive to discourage frequent use. That way if you really get stuck, there's an alternative without restarting the game.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

They can also change based on difficulty, like in Easy mode no penalty, on normal some penalty, etc until Nightmare... where maybe reset isn't even allowed :mrgreen: The problem is if I'll allow player to change difficulty anytime in options like in the past or not.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Can you simply do it any time like changing clothes?
You make it sound like putting on your pants by yourself is easy.
Or only at the start of every chapter?
Nay. Imagine if you want to respec for the chapter end boss. Sure it'll work when following a guide, but for exploring the game and adapting on the fly it sounds awful.

I'm thinking you could acquire some respec-items for completing certain quests or so, with additional ones available for gold... oh, and then we totally need achievements for not using them.

How old is that signature by the way? Just noticed it ;)
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

Personally, I think the number of stat resets a player has done should be tracked and listed at the end of the game, with some sort of acknowledgement given for winning without any resets. Congratulations should definitely be in order if someone plays through the game from start to finish without any resets, especially at the Nightmare difficulty level.
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

It's kinda amazing that no one so far asked for free resets. Amazing, but honestly not unexpected. :mrgreen:
jack1974 wrote:They can also change based on difficulty, like in Easy mode no penalty, on normal some penalty, etc until Nightmare... where maybe reset isn't even allowed :mrgreen: The problem is if I'll allow player to change difficulty anytime in options like in the past or not.
Only over my burned out mainframe. All difficulty adjustments should be on the enemy and encounter end of the equation. Difficulty should not change what you can do, only what you can survive doing.
Troyen wrote:It sort of depends on how the bosses are planned. If you have something like Deceit at the end of a chapter which requires a totally different build than the rest of the chapter, the reset is not all that helpful.
That's definitely a good point.
yayswords wrote:
Can you simply do it any time like changing clothes?
You make it sound like putting on your pants by yourself is easy.
If you find pants to challenging I'd recommend switching to skirts. Less openings and often neither buttons nor zippers.
yayswords wrote: How old is that signature by the way? Just noticed it ;)
A month or two I think. Haven't been posting much, too busy with the card framework.
P_Tigras wrote:Personally, I think the number of stat resets a player has done should be tracked and listed at the end of the game, with some sort of acknowledgement given for winning without any resets. Congratulations should definitely be in order if someone plays through the game from start to finish without any resets, especially at the Nightmare difficulty level.
That wouldn't be hard at all. Are statistics in general something you all are interested in?
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
Grodul
Young scout

Post by Grodul »

Anima_ wrote:That wouldn't be hard at all. Are statistics in general something you all are interested in?
I'm torn on this topic. On one hand that could be a fresh thing in the game. A new feature that wasn't present before. And a success if done well. The number of stats reset is good and all but why stop there? In this case I'd request adding in the end stats notices about player's choices in main plot, romances, side quests and party member interactions such as:

(Played as Eleanor)
-Preferred to use wits and subtlety instead of brute force.
-Lived happily with Karen.
-Single-handledly saved a lizarman-colony.
-Promised Mesphit to aid in the rebuilding of dark elf community.

Or

(Played as Saren)
-Preferred to use negotiation skills and conversation instead of nefarious means.
-Married Myrth.
-Became figure of unmeasured importance to elfs of all kind.
-Decided to support Ramas and Dora in their top-secret project.

Or

(Played as Saren)
-Preferred to use intimidation and strength instead of subtle means.
-Had a relationship with Nook.
-Rallied an army for the aid of Nomand community.
-Asked Nook to change himself with magic to look more feminine.

On the other, statistics at the end of the game could potentially break the immersion from the tale. The story in games such as first Loren and Roommates is written and done so well, that at a very early phase of the game I stop thinking about it as a game and more of a story with interactive elements. And I thrist for more of that. If after all that immersion there will be a screen if front of me that states how did I do in that particular story, I would most likely be like: "What! It was just a game!?"
Last edited by Grodul on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Now, hold on a minute. I'm currently speculating."