Amber Full Beta 1.0.1

A fantasy crafting/dating sim https://www.winterwolves.com/ambersmagicshop.htm
myoksy
Druid

Re: Amber Full Beta 0.9.2

Post by myoksy »

jack1974 wrote:nfortunately "I generate them on the fly". So having predefined jobs wouldn't be easy as it seems
it was worth a try ; )

different idea: later in game the reward type becomes less important, mostly when the player is informed that all skills need to be 300.

currently a player has 2 ways to train a specific skill:
- studying (for players like me more often than not impossible, too high skill levels compared to the char level)
- crafting without task (maybe it's just me, but I was never comfortable with this - the shop interface makes it not easy to find worthwhile combinations of raw materials and sales price of final products)
so my 3rd way is playing the RNG game: sooner or later I fulfilled enough jobs to train all skills to 300+. somehow unsatisfying.

I think I would often use a job screen with an upside-down logic: instead of choosing a reward (XP, gold, items, ...) one with the skill disclosed (potionmaking, woodworking, ....). not _all_ offering screens, naturally. early in game the type of reward is much more important ; )

Fitting would be the mage's guild, I imagine it as a kind of university with different schools. So the "job search" could offer buttons like: "Job for the School of Metalworking", "Job for the School of Enchanting", ... The recipe class would be set by the selected button, the reward randomized.
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

found a transition error, starting around the text "Ah, I suppose the palace wants me to return."*

in the next screen my char blinks shortly out of existence in the middle of the animation, the text box at the end says "He pulls me close and kisses my cheek."

* I forgot the key for displaying script file and line, sorry
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

myoksy wrote: currently a player has 2 ways to train a specific skill:
- studying (for players like me more often than not impossible, too high skill levels compared to the char level)
- crafting without task (maybe it's just me, but I was never comfortable with this - the shop interface makes it not easy to find worthwhile combinations of raw materials and sales price of final products)
Nope, you can go in the adventurer's guild and "spend Reputation points to train skills" :) There's still the studying cap though.
When I test myself instead of doing crafting for Gold/Reputation I always craft for XP, so I increase level faster and then study or go train at adventurer's.
myoksy wrote: Fitting would be the mage's guild, I imagine it as a kind of university with different schools. So the "job search" could offer buttons like: "Job for the School of Metalworking", "Job for the School of Enchanting", ... The recipe class would be set by the selected button, the reward randomized.
I could do that, though maybe I'll reserve it for an update. I mean it's not difficult to add but at this point I'd prefer to release the game and maybe (well, it ALWAYS happen! :lol:) when I need to do an update, I'll add this new feature.
(Or I could just remove all the cap in the adventurer's guild trainer :lol:)
myoksy wrote:found a transition error
Yes found the point you mention, thanks!
Eric13721
Young scout

Post by Eric13721 »

Seems like the camera zooms to Howlgrove Forest instead of the Frontier Woods at the beginning of the game, also is it just me or does Amber pull out a second healing potion instead of a second invisibility potion just before she meets Thomas
Spoiler:
and asks the vampires for help when she goes into the forest to investigate the Blight?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha you're right, I switched the two forest names! Will change the zoom.
Same thing for the potion, should be invisibility indeed, thanks :)
(I have edited your post adding a spoiler tag)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Later today I'm going to build installers and make this version 1.0, since even all the bugs found in last week were minor stuff like typos or wrong words/animations :)
winter32
Young scout

Post by winter32 »

A bit late as far as bug reports go, but... library upgrades in the shop management seem to draw the 'reward' recipes you get from the set, without updating the set between the draws. So you can get the same recipe in the draw more than once, reducing overall amount of unlocks. In drastic cases where you already have a good amount of recipes unlocked and the set to draw from is small, you can wind up with something like only getting 1 or 2 unlocks from the tier 3 upgrade, which is pretty poor as far as bang for buck goes ;/
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah I thought it was happening but I assumed I was having visions because of too much heavy testing :lol:
It should happen only if you upgrade more than once before exiting the shop builder, right?
winter32
Young scout

Post by winter32 »

No, this occurred also after upgrading the library from level 2 to level 3 and nothing else touched, and with the previous upgrades done weeks ago (and also separely from each other) I might've upgraded some other things together earlier, I can't remember.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK will look into that, thanks :)