Amber romances preview

A fantasy crafting/dating sim https://www.winterwolves.com/ambersmagicshop.htm
BobTheMob
Druid

Re: Amber romances preview

Post by BobTheMob »

jack1974 wrote:Also probably will do an otome/yuri filter like I did for Queen Of Thieves since seems it was appreciated by people :)
W/ QoT there was that thing where various bonuses--discounts and such--would become available through romances.

Any chance we could see something like that here as well? Ex.: If w/ Daniel being able to get easier access to various magical items (such as rare stones/metals/books) or w/ Lynn being able to be more knowledgeable about various properties of herbs?

Could be a cool thing to see. :)

(I get if it's too late to add such, but felt it was worth a shot. :) )
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No the stories are already written and cannot do that now, also because I still have no clue how much in depth the gameplay part will be yet :)
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

jack1974 wrote:Yes the easiest option is to use an odd number for the range, like 1 to 10. Currently is 1 to 9 and 5 is neutral, and that's where Amber and the other characters start. Then it's like:
1= true dark ending
2,3,4 = dark
5 = neutral
6,7,8 = light
9 = true light
but it would be enough to add +1 and would be impossible to reach a neutral ending.
There probably should have been a neutral option, but at this late stage it's probably best to simply pick the particular RO's most likely response to a neutral approach from the light and dark options. One RO may lean towards the light while another may well lean toward the dark. It really should depend on the RO's personality.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well a possibility is that if the romance is neutral, there's no ending triggered, but I think might piss player off :)
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

Well a possibility is that if the romance is neutral, there's no ending triggered, but I think might piss player off :)
might? :o
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hehe, that's comparable to the "alone ending" of many other dating sims though!
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

jack1974 wrote:Well a possibility is that if the romance is neutral, there's no ending triggered, but I think might piss player off :)
It certainly would w/ me, Jack, and I doubt I'm alone. Just sayin. :P
jack1974 wrote:Hehe, that's comparable to the "alone ending" of many other dating sims though!
And indeed, you've never been one to follow the crowd, Jack...why start now? :)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

jack1974 wrote:Hehe, that's comparable to the "alone ending" of many other dating sims though!
I don't think so. "Alone" usually means you didn't get your reputation high enough with a particular character. Here, you could presumably have high reputation but a neutral alignment. To me, that doesn't intuitively lead to "your relationship won't work out".

I think you should treat neutral as mild "light", whether it's by adding another number to your scale (so there is no "neutral") or just treating neutral as if it was on the "light" side.
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

Troyen wrote:
I don't think so. "Alone" usually means you didn't get your reputation high enough with a particular character. Here, you could presumably have high reputation but a neutral alignment. To me, that doesn't intuitively lead to "your relationship won't work out".
There is no "reputation" I believe - just how far along in their story you are. They're for sure your friends first and they may turn into lovers later. The personality difference in Amber between Light and Dark is clear, so if you never define yourself in their eyes, you won't have a future with them. (like real life!)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes was joking :)
Aleema wrote:There is no "reputation" I believe - just how far along in their story you are. They're for sure your friends first and they may turn into lovers later.
Actually in the status screen there's a relationship value. I am not sure yet if I'll implement it or not. Originally the game was planned to have the events with characters triggering with the passage of time (ie like Heirs & Graces and many other dating sims). But there was the need at some point to decide who is the route you're pursuing, so we thought to add the possibility to have dates with characters (not real scenes, just a gameplay thing to increse the hearts).
This is one thing I need to decide next week after I have the full simulation game coded to see what works better :)
In any case regarding the alignment, I will just do this:
Troyen wrote:I think you should treat neutral as mild "light", whether it's by adding another number to your scale (so there is no "neutral") or just treating neutral as if it was on the "light" side.