Amber development

A fantasy crafting/dating sim https://www.winterwolves.com/ambersmagicshop.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Amber development

Post by jack1974 »

Well as you probably saw I ported all the games to mobile :)
Back to topic, I'm reading Bernard's route right now (about halfway). Very good job. I like how the topic of racism (agains the poor Dark Elf Amber ;_;) and compromise are written.
With this route finished, all the otome romances are ready. There's only Lynn and Cosmina left!
Definitely will be working on this game next (if before I had any doubt, now I haven't).
Rebly82
Woods ranger

Post by Rebly82 »

jack1974 wrote:Yes, I think I posted them both already in forums, but maybe the images expired (some site after a while delete the images). I am going to make a blog post probably at end of month about it, with updated "romance chart" and everything :)
Please do an updated romance chart sometime! I would love to check out more of the game's details. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes will do it when have a moment of time :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

voilà, the crafting system is working already! :o 8)
Anima sent me a prototype with obvious placeholder art/GUI, but I tested and seems to work. I'm sure once I'll add 100 recipes and 5000 ingredients will be the real test though :wink:
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

Hm, I kinda like how my check marks turned out.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Updating the main development thread: as you might have noticed from screenshots in other threads, the crafting system is up and working. Some features are still missing like the one requested by players "recipe discovery". The poor Anima was a bit shocked when I added it to the TODO list :mrgreen:
Anyway current dev plan is:
1) design a lot of recipes/ingredients/final items.
2) finish the main "gameplay loop", adding stuff like the vendors, places to gather items and to buy recipes
3) code the shop and requests/commissions
4) add seasonal / random events which will change item costs (to make the game more fun and less predictable)
5) start beta :)

Between those 5 stages, in the "free time" finish coding/scripting the scenes, endings, CGs making sure all works properly, and do the VN mode. That's easy stuff but still takes long time.
If all goes well I can see the game being out Q1 next year for sure, or at least the beta.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha looks like I spoke too early :lol: Go to bottom for the short version!

Today made a big decision, after trying to use the framework for a while. Asked Anima to revert back to using python classes instead of XML, for various technical reasons.
I won't go in details since most of you won't understand, but basically need to think about the future games and possibility for myself to do changes independently (often last minute changes like ALWAYS happens in game development! ask Sid Meier :wink:) and/or be able to edit the items/skills/whatever quickly and easily (nothing faster and easier than the integrated Renpy editor).
The current system was overkill (and also the reason why PSCD is not yet out on iOS! XML library problems) and was taking me ages to make just a few recipes. I definitely can't imagine myself using it to do an insanely big game like Loren 2 or Roger Steel or others. Would take me 2 years just for the design :lol:

Anyway the short version is: asked the coder a big change to the framework, and I'm not sure how long this will take. I will finish Amber VN part while I wait, and depending how long it takes, I might work on Love Bites and release that one first. But definitely I think I made the right decision, to avoid having serious problems in future RPG games.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

So basically you decided to change a programing language you program the game in half the way in making a game :shock: never heard of that happening before.

Well I can't say I really understand what you gain by doing that but you seem confidant in your decision so...... Good luck :?:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No not the language, the "system". Language is still renpy, but instead of reading the "data" from XML files (like happened in PSCD) the data is in the python code itself. But I wasn't half way, I was let's say at 1/4 of crafting stuff.
The change was also needed because this system was integrated with the new RPG framework, so it could have an impact also on the future RPG. So better fix this sooner than later :)
Anyway, maybe Anima will be finished before I have finished doing the VN part, so no time will be lost !
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

Already changed the item definitions, the recipe definitions will be changed in a few days. Shouldn't take long. The tricky part was getting the classes loaded into the framework.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI