Roommates BETA! 0.9.6 (25.02.2014)

A dating / life sim for all tastes set in college http://www.winterwolves.com/roommates.htm
mizu_ki
Woods ranger

Re: Roommates BETA! 0.9.1 (20.02.2014)

Post by mizu_ki »

jack1974 wrote:mizu_ki: thanks, fixed everything you reported! The only thing I couldn't find is Rakesh covering Anne's sprite. When you see it on screen can you please press "i" key to display the line number in the code where it happens? so I can check better!
game/scenes2_edit.rpy 5570
game/scenes2_edit.rpy 5586

New route -
Spoiler:
V-day with Max - It looks awkward with Max's sprite in front of Anne's.
game/scenes2_edit.rpy 3270 - 3272
Oniyuri
Young scout

Post by Oniyuri »

jack1974 wrote: No it appears only when you're romancing Sally or Dominic, not Isabella.
jack1974 wrote: No you should get the choice, however it will play only in certain conditions: if you play as Anne and are romancing Dominic or Max (and have enough relationship with "the other")
I didn't start making notes about the events (the when and what) until after I did a playthrough with Dominic and Max, so I completely forgot! :oops: Sorry and thanks!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No problems, you've reported a lots of typos/bugs, I should be the one thanking you :)
MrEnvy8
Official writer

Post by MrEnvy8 »

Lonestar51 wrote:After thinking a bit about the prisoner dilemma sequence, I believe this is not what it says:
Prisoner Dilemma example:
Spoiler:
Police stops two guys carrying firearms. The seperates them, and tells them:
One rats out: He is crown witness, goes free, the other spends six years in jail.
Both keep silent: 1 year each for posession of illegal firearm.
Both rat out: both get convicted, but only for three years because of confession.
The main point of the prisoner dilemma is that the hurt to the betrayed is worse that the benifit for the betrayer. Which means, both betray means the prisoners are worse off than both are faithful. The "warden" in the typical scenario has no interest other than to punish the prisoners.
In the game
Spoiler:
both get a C if both betray - which means both pass without effort. If you play Anne you might care about grades, but usually what matters is pass/no pass. Thus there is a big temptation for the prisoners to coordinate a "break faith": If both ask for answers and the other knows/approves it, there will not be bad blood later on.
I can see how Prof. Tasque has a different motivation than the typical warden, thus setting up the scenario in a different way. It just moves the scenario outside the typical prisoner dilemma.
The same reasoning goes for the proposed rule change:
MrEnvy8 wrote:Secondly, it seems like there's not enough temptation to the PD. So tonight I'll be adding a bonus of 400 grades if you get the best outcome (you betray partner doesn't). But, you'll lose 400 if the partner betrays and you don't. (Both betray gets a 200 boost, neither betray=no effect).
Ah well, I get really nitpicky sometimes.
I'll edit this post when I get home with the longer form of my thinking (because I hate typing on my phone), but I'm thinking of it now so I'll just say:

A) I think it's 90% prisoners dilemma, but yes Tasque has different motivations.
B) What would you then call this in shorthand? It's easier to say "oh no I'm trapped in a prisoner's dilemma" than "oh no, I'm caught in a dilemma of ambiguous moral standing which bears a striking resemblance to, but is legally distinct from, the prisoner's dilemma"
;)
it's
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

MrEnvy8 wrote:dilemma of ambiguous moral standing which bears a striking resemblance to, but is legally distinct from, the prisoner's dilemma
I like it! Just perfect! :twisted:

I get the point that you need a "catchy" handle for the scenes, and I can appreciate that it's a lot of work to go through all the dialogues to check where it is referenced as "prisoner's dilemma"...

However, wrong usage of terms just annoys me (obviously a lot more than others), and I had some experiences where people started to argue about the meaning of even the most clear sentences, or what seemed to be this. And yes, I come more from a technical background.

In this case there is also one point which follows from Tasques dilemma which is not present in the classical prisoners dilemma: What keeps the prisoners from deciding "let's both go for a C"? After all, any "Pass" is a lot more worth than anything else. In real life, I might be tempted to discuss this with my partner - and in Roommates I would like to try it. (might spoil romancing Anne, but other than that?) The only thing which keeps me is that I do not get a chance early in 2nd quarter to propose this.
mizu_ki
Woods ranger

Post by mizu_ki »

I was trying to get Anne/Sally ending (using the latest version) and I got this:
Spoiler:
Because I ignored the above, I obviously got this later:
Spoiler:
I'm sure there will be more.

There was more but I didn't bother reporting them. I get the feeling that once this is fixed in one scene then the others will be fixed as well.
gamesempie
Young scout

Post by gamesempie »

Week 05 Monday Sally's event
Max and Sally are both wearing their winter outfits. It fits for Sally
Spoiler:
since she's hiding a puppy in her jacket and she switches to her regular outfit when she shows Max it
but did you mean to have Max in his winter also?
Edit: never mind posted before I finished the event but still why did Max change to his regular sprite before the "took off his winter coat" text?
gamesempie
Young scout

Post by gamesempie »

game/scenes2_edit.rpy 760 playing as Max
typo: "I think she just told the class I'm cut..."
sorry if this has already been reported I can only read so many of those typo reports before they all blur together.
Oniyuri
Young scout

Post by Oniyuri »

Version 0.9.1

Typos, etc.
Spoiler:
  1. game/scenes1_edit.rpy 1279: Dominic says "into the masters program" - to "master's" (missing apostrophe)?
  2. game/scenes1_edit.rpy 3142: Isabella says "As long as you're brown nosing" - to "brown-nosing"
  3. game/scenes1_edit.rpy 3147: Isabella says "Whatever, fine you want to gang up on me go ahead." - maybe some punctuation after "fine" and maybe a comma before "go ahead"?
  4. game/scenes1_edit.rpy 5641: It reads "being on track to his Master's degree" - lowercase "Master's"?
  5. game/scenes1_edit.rpy 8398: It reads "Max look sover his shoulder but gets bored of it" - comma before "but"?
  6. game/scenes1_edit.rpy 11495: Dominic says "No not at all!" - comma after "No"?
  7. game/scenes1_edit.rpy 11557: Anne says "Oh I think I'll be fine." - comma after "Oh"?
  8. game/scenes1_edit.rpy 11534: It reads "Finally, with a long happy breath" - comma after "long"?
  9. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 2811: It reads "only to find a small beautifully embossed scheduling book" - comma after "small"?
  10. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 2826: Dominic says "You've got a lot of potential and.." - ellipsis only has two dots
  11. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 2841: It reads "both of us smiling widly" - to "widely"?
  12. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 3835: It reads "I haven't had an honest to goodness date since I was a freshman in High School" - to "honest-to-goodness" and lowercase "High School"
  13. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 3884: It reads "If I don't I'm going to be a wreck" - comma after "don't"?
  14. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 4107: Dominic says "That would be a nice goal I think" - comma before "I think"?
  15. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 4110: It reads "Dominic and I compare Library notes" - lowercase "Library"?
  16. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 4110: It reads "Natural History isn't my strongest suit" - lowercase "History"
  17. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 4174: It reads "He looks at me down at me and smiles" - remove first "at me"
  18. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 5544: Sally says "Oh that just means it's going to be" - comma after "Oh"?
  19. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 5547: It reads "to give him a big long kiss" - comma after "big"?
  20. game/cg.rpy 335: It reads "watch each other like moon eyed lovers" - to "moon-eyed"
  21. game/cg.rpy 336: It reads "looks at me questioningly but I wave a dismissive hand" - comma before "but"?
  22. game/cg.rpy 347: Dominic says "I mean... wait.. you mean me?" - ellipsis only has 2 dots
  23. game/cg.rpy 372: Anne says "you've been watching out for me eh?" - comma before "eh"?
  24. game/cg.rpy 374: Anne says "Well then thank you, Dominic." - comma before "thank"?
  25. game/cg.rpy 388: It reads "my arms pinned to my side" - to "sides"?
  26. game/scenes3_edit.rpy 1218: It reads "I think about maybe stopping in to Dominic's room" - to "stopping at" or "stepping into"?
  27. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 6310: It reads "a small bespectacled face appears" - comma after "small"?
  28. game/scenes3_edit.rpy 4105: It reads "my mouth is usually full" - missing full stop
  29. game/scenes3_edit.rpy 4106: It reads "and sit back in our chairs resting" - comma before "resting"?
  30. game/cg.rpy 462: Anne says "... thanks honey." - capitalise "thanks" and maybe add a comma after it?
  31. game/endings_edit.rpy 513: It reads "to get her Masters in teaching" - to "master's" (lowercase and missing apostrophe)?
  32. game/endings_edit.rpy 682: It reads "finally getting his Master's degree" - lowercase "Master's"
  33. game/scenes1_edit.rpy 11584: Max says "My one weakness, downy soft pillows!" - comma after "downy"?
  34. game/scenes1_edit.rpy 11636: It reads"Max takes in a deep breath, letting it out slowly almost satisfied." - comma before "almost"?
  35. game/scenes1_edit.rpy 11643: It reads "when I smile it's a slow natural smile" - comma after slow?
  36. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 3261: Anne says "since the trip to my parent's place" - to "parents'" (move apostrophe)
  37. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 3272: It reads "that night at my parent's house" - to "parents'" (move apostrophe)
  38. game/oneliners.rpy 1078: Anne says "That did sound a little rude, didn't it." - end with exclamation mark?
  39. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 6908: It reads "Finally, professor Tasque looks at me." - capitalise "professor"
  40. game/cg.rpy 21: It reads "ogling my swimsuit covered body" - to "swimsuit-covered"?
  41. game/cg.rpy 77: It reads "down to his well toned ass" - to "well-toned"?
  42. The choice displayed after game/oneliners.rpy 1115: "This is stupid, I'll just pretend not to speak english" - capitalise "english"
  43. game/oneliners.rpy 1121: "pass up a tiny intimate show with a little unknown band" - comma after "tiny" and "little"?
  44. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 1438: It reads "I laugh as I playful push at his shoulder." - to "playfully"?
  45. game/scenes3_edit.rpy 3051: Anne says "I wanted to do my best for you professor." - capitalise "professor" and maybe put a comma before it?
  46. game/scenes3_edit.rpy 3117: Roxanne says "All is not lost professor!" - capitalise "professor"?
  47. game/endings_edit.rpy 753: It reads "He doesn't do as much touring these days obviously." - comma before "obviously"?
  48. game/endings_edit.rpy 203: I can't believe we finally made it through Freshman year." - lowercase "Freshman"?
  49. game/endings_edit.rpy 217: It reads "ready to face the whole big bad world" - comma after "big"?
  50. game/endings_edit.rpy 460: It reads "Luckily my scholarships held out just enough with my job." - something missing from sentence?
  51. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 6899: Prof. Tasque says "Looks like Jared doesn't share your interest in study." - to "studying"
  52. game/scenes1_edit.rpy 1239: It reads "for a moment- he's got such a pretty smile- but still seems" - spaces before dashes?
Activity descriptions:
  1. Bookstore: Carmen says "I don't think I could handle tiara throw, but I could totally rock a cure beam." - to "a tiara throw"?
  2. Wall Climbing: "About half-way up the wall today. Not bad. I think this is working" - missing full stop
  3. Cafe: "No I don't have a hearing deficiency, we're out of cakes" - comma after "No"?
  4. Tabletop RPG: "Just try not to get hit by my attacks. ... okay, that's a 20." - capitalise "okay"?
  5. Park: "another one of Alpha Beta Omega's initaition sessions" - to "initiation"
  6. Park: "I mean, I got no work done but it was incredible to watch." - comma before "but"?
Other stuff:
Spoiler:
  1. game/scenes1_edit.rpy 5674: It reads "I've got a ton of new books to go through when I get back and I didn't break the bank" - considering the conversation up to this point and that the background is changed to Latin House's common room, is this part of the sentence still relevant?
  2. At game/scenes1_edit.rpy 8919 Sally says "Oh yeah! Anne, this is Memphis, he's one of Max's bandmates." and goes to game/scenes1_edit.rpy 8923 which reads "I met him when I went with Max to band practice that one time.", but I assume this line should be said by Sally (but it reads as if it is Anne's monologue), since this sequence happens when you let Sally attend Max's band practice. Also at that line Sally's sprite disappears (which might be strange if she is in fact saying that line.)
  3. At game/scenes2_edit.rpy 724 (event on Week 10 - Monday), it reads "I think I recognize this guy... maybe from Halloween?" (referring to Butch/Butler), however I skipped the Halloween event, so this line shouldn't be shown?
  4. At the event on Week 15 - Tuesday, if after skipping the Halloween and first Merriweather events, Butler/Butch is unknown, but his name is displayed as "Butler" when he speaks from game/scenes2_edit.rpy 6313 and game/scenes2_edit.rpy 6472 for the two choices you can make (but as I mentioned in a previous post, for both choices in the event, Sally calls Butch on his name, just before he starts to speak, so technically you definitely know his name is "Butch" regardless of the events you played - as far as I can tell).
  5. During Week 12 and the Library advanced job (the first week I unlocked it), I saw the sequence where Roxanne says "Greetings, terrible villain. I require a tome from the top shelf! No, that one! The heavier one! YES! FEEL MY TERRIBLE VENGEANCE!" - I am guessing this is one of the job interrupt sequences that happens when you betray her, however this is well before the prisoner's dilemma has been resolved and I currently have Max as my partner for it. (As a side note, immediately after this Anne says SHH - maybe add an exclamation mark?)
  6. game/scenes2_edit.rpy 3270: More intimate scene between Anne and Max, but Max is mostly covering Anne, so that you cannot see her well - maybe swap them around?
I started a playthrough where I basically skip all the events (don't know who would actually play like that, but yeah) and ended up with some bugs:
  1. If you don't have enough points with anyone to invite them to your parents' house during Winter Break, when Winter Break is finished: from game/scenes1_edit.rpy 11963 it goes to 11974 and then 11976, then loops back to 11974 and goes to 11976, and then it goes to the scheduler where Week 09 starts on Wednesday and not Monday.
  2. After game/scenes2_edit.rpy 1432, the following traceback appears (and basically the same error repeats, but at different parts of the code whenever it has something to do with your study partner for the prisoner's dilemma - I didn't post all the tracebacks, since there were a lot and I assumed it might be fixed after the first one is):

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
      File "game/scheduler.rpy", line 417, in script call
      File "game/scenes2_edit.rpy", line 1433, in script
      File "game/scenes2_edit.rpy", line 1433, in python
    NameError: name 'studypartner' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
      File "C:\Users\J\Downloads\Roommates-0.9.1-all\renpy\execution.py", line 294, in run
        node.execute()
      File "C:\Users\J\Downloads\Roommates-0.9.1-all\renpy\ast.py", line 1547, in execute
        if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
      File "C:\Users\J\Downloads\Roommates-0.9.1-all\renpy\python.py", line 1392, in py_eval
        return eval(py_compile(source, 'eval'), globals, locals)
      File "game/scenes2_edit.rpy", line 1433, in <module>
    NameError: name 'studypartner' is not defined

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
    Ren'Py 6.17.0.279

I realised later that likely because of the bug in point 1 resulting in the scheduler starting on Wednesday in Week 09, you are never presented with the first prisoner's dilemma event (which happens on Week 09 - Monday), which probably causes the other bugs?
Oniyuri wrote: Other stuff:
Spoiler:
  • If you skip the event on Week 11 - Monday and thus not choose a Valentine's gift, when the event on Week 12 - Thursday comes around you can still decide to play or skip it. If you decide to play it, you will be presented with the choices of who you want to give your gift to, and the conversation will make it seem as if Anne is giving them something (but she doesn't have anything) and then she leaves.
  • If you skipped the event on Week 10 - Monday (with Merriweather, where you learn about Butch) then for the event on Week 15 - Tuesday, Butch's name will be displayed as "Butler", however for both choices you can make during the event, Butch's name is revealed right before he speaks (places where his name first appears in the dialogue before he speaks: game/scenes2_edit.rpy 6465 and 6309 - for the two choices).
  • Volley ball: At game/scenes3_edit.rpy 660 it reads "Sally's team has scored 13 to Dominic's 13." (the score obviously depends on the choices you made) and in the next line (game/scenes3_edit.rpy 661) it reads "I have a chance to maybe end the game right here, since we're only playing to 15." - can this still be said if the score is tied?
Just wondering whether you decided to keep or change the above points mentioned in a previous version 0.9.0 post?
nightshadengale wrote:What determines whether Roxanne's partner betrays her if you do the prisoner's dilemma but partner with Anne? I remember I replayed that section a couple times trying to get my stats sorted out, picking almost the same choices, and it appeared to hinge either on whether you picked Truth or Dare on St. Patrick's day, or whether you got the best gift or the second best gift on Valentine's.
Spoiler:
Don't know if anyone answered this, but I think it happens if you decide to speak to Prof. Tasque during the event on Week 15 - Monday (I don't know whether it matters if you choose to betray your partner or not). And mind you I was playing as Anne with Max as my partner. Naturally, I can't be 100% sure.
I can't think of any other combinations to try while playing as Anne, so I think this is pretty much it for me. (I might still do a quick test run for the next version.)

I have to admit that I was initially not very interested in playing as Max, so I only bought Anne's Story. By now I'm really curious about Max, but it isn't really in my budget for the near future and I just know if I start playing the demo I'll be extremely tempted to buy his story. So I'm going to skip out on testing the demo with his story.

Just want to say thanks for another enjoyable game! :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

mizu_ki wrote:I was trying to get Anne/Sally ending (using the latest version) and I got this:
There was more but I didn't bother reporting them. I get the feeling that once this is fixed in one scene then the others will be fixed as well.
Ah yes, probably nobody ever tried that friendship ending, is an easy fix. Good that you tried it :)
gamesempie wrote: Edit: never mind posted before I finished the event but still why did Max change to his regular sprite before the "took off his winter coat" text?
Will check it :)
Oniyuri: the studypartner bug is the same mizu_ki is having, will fix it. Yes playing skipping all the scenes is not normal but still will look at the issues with Winter Break! It should simply skip the week completely.
About previous points:
- I totally missed the "no valentine gift" thing! Will check it, there were so many things reported that probably forgot to look at it :lol:
- Butch/Butler name's: will check it, however I'd consider this a minor bug :wink:
- The volleyball scores, I thought was fixed, will look at it again!
Oniyuri wrote:
nightshadengale wrote:What determines whether Roxanne's partner betrays her if you do the prisoner's dilemma but partner with Anne? I remember I replayed that section a couple times trying to get my stats sorted out, picking almost the same choices, and it appeared to hinge either on whether you picked Truth or Dare on St. Patrick's day, or whether you got the best gift or the second best gift on Valentine's.
Spoiler:
Don't know if anyone answered this, but I think it happens if you decide to speak to Prof. Tasque during the event on Week 15 - Monday (I don't know whether it matters if you choose to betray your partner or not). And mind you I was playing as Anne with Max as my partner. Naturally, I can't be 100% sure.
If I understood the question correctly, there's a choice indeed in week15 Monday, where you can go to the professor and pick the option "Betray studypartner" (will show the name).
Then in week15 Friday, if your partner was Roxanne and you betrayed her, will set the flag "roxhatred" and this will trigger all the various scenes while doing the jobs. So to answer Oniyuri's question the Roxanne lines in jobs will appear only after week15 Friday and only IF you betray her (some lines would appear sooner like the Library's one, fixed it now).

I'm going to upload 0.9.2 today with another bunch of fixes, Mr E. didn't had time to rewrite the "happy endings" yet, but is planned so don't worry :)