Do you think this would be OK?

A dating / life sim for all tastes set in college http://www.winterwolves.com/roommates.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Do you think this would be OK?

Post by jack1974 »

I was talking with the writer about the gameplay of the game that must be reflected in writing. In summary: Anne has very good grades, while Max isn't really a great student. I was thinking, for gameplay reasons only, to have each character have some kind of bonus:
- Anne would be able to study faster or get higher grades without much rest, but would get tired quicker than Max while doing the jobs (there will be several part time jobs)
- Max would be the opposite: have more resistance while doing the jobs, but get tired much faster while studying

I was wondering if that could raise complaints from players (because makes a difference based on gender) or it would be fine? I think it would be fine since it's not something due to the gender but of the character personalities, but you never know :mrgreen:
Lilly hime
Young scout

Re: Do you think this would be OK?

Post by Lilly hime »

I think it would be fine. Like as you said, its a personality thing.
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Sounds fine to me, I'm in support of it since the characters personality has it make sense like this.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool, then I think will really do that. Also add more variety if you replay with a different character (not sure how many will do that, but still...)
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

JAck,
I don't see aproblem with it wither. I know people of both genders that exhibit those characteristics.
thesleepykitten
Official writer

Post by thesleepykitten »

jack1974 wrote:Cool, then I think will really do that. Also add more variety if you replay with a different character (not sure how many will do that, but still...)
I will for sure. >.>b

And yea, I agree with everyone else. It's a personality thing, not gender. :D If you're worried, you can always have the character clarify juuust in case. I don't know much about the characters, but it seems accurate for Anne and Max (Anne is a shy bookworm and Max is into music/in a band...? ^^; )
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes exactly, Anne is shy bookworm type and Max is lazy student with rockstar aspiration :mrgreen:
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

They're different personalities, yes, but since I know there's two different personalities, my choice is going to be unfortunately influenced by which personality I want rather than what gender I want to play as. And frankly, I have zero interest in choosing a shy bookworm character as my avatar, because that's so cliche. Makes me a bit sad that only the dudes get the interesting personality and can't be shy bookworms. I guess because that's who I really was in school and it's not an escapist fantasy to play a video game doing the exact same thing.

In a perfect world, you'd do it like Spirited Heart and not force genders to have certain personalities (and ultimately: certain types of romances, because the rocker vs the bookworm are going to approach dating much differently, probably).
Last edited by Aleema on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well, for sure can't change Anne personality now. However in all my previous games so far (and also many future ones) with females protagonists, they all had strong personalities and definitely not shy... so well, I guess can have 1 game with that kind of character. But Anne is not really boring ! I was shy when I was young too, but definitely I wasn't boring once people got to know me better :)

In my very first dating sim, Summer Session, the role was reversed, you played as a shy (not bookworm though) boy, very clumsy with women. Just to say that I already did a game with a similar character but boy (in that game you had only that character though).
Still I understand what you mean - it wouldn't be a game you'd like to play because of the main character personality. That's OK - I'm not thinking that everyone should always like all my games! :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Also forgot an important thing: the writer mentioned that is not like Anne will always be shy the whole game until the end, but there will be character development. Similarly, Max won't be a total slacker the whole game too! I guess is better to wait and play the game because once again maybe I'm giving the wrong impression with my posts. I should ask writers to even write my blog/forums posts so I don't screw up :lol: