future games poll thread

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

what you'd prefer to see in future games

You may select 1 option

View results

jack1974
Pack leader

future games poll thread

Post by jack1974 »

Since my latest blog post I think there has been some confusion on what I can still make and what I won't dare anymore to do :lol:

I didn't say that "I won't make any more RPGs ever" but I won't make BIG HUGE STORY (10 love interests) AND BIG COMPLEX GAMEPLAY (like PS2 in practice). There are several factors like gameplay complexity and of course amount of love interests.

For example I wouldn't want to make anymore:
- a game like PS2 obviously not since it's the perfect example of big gameplay+big story :)
- a game like SOTW with 4 love interests = no, since gameplay/length was still too big/complex
- a game like Loren 1 no, since while gameplay wasn't super complex there were still too many love interests

I would make instead:
- a game like Loren1 WITHOUT any RPG gameplay = yes, very long but possible assuming a successful KS
- a simple gameplay focused game without or with a shorter story (for example: adventure game. they have MUCH shorter story compared to VNs) = yes possible like above, assuming a successful KS
- a 4 love interests game with some new light gameplay (RPG, card game similar to Slay the Spire, simulation, etc) = yes even without a successful KS
- a 5-6 love interests game with zero gameplay (or something super simple like Roommates scheduler) = yes even without a successful KS

In summary I need to make sure I don't work anymore for 1 full year and end up earning less than if I was working at a fast food chain :lol:
myoksy
Druid

Re: future games poll thread

Post by myoksy »

you should stop to invent a new engine for every RPG : P

use the core mechanics of SOTW (or QoT, or PS2) with only cosmetic changes to tell a new story. the core gameplay loop is fine with your engine, just stop to fiddle and ignore obnoxious feature requesters like me
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well even if I stopped fiddling I would still need to code new enemies, skills, etc. I'm not sure how much time I'd save in the end... but of course that's a possibility.
Choklad
Young scout

Post by Choklad »

I definitely prefer games that are just story, choices and roleplaying. The game mechanics can detract from roleplaying since you have to choose activities to maximize your stats in order to get the ending you want. In games with romance it can also create the effect of the main character having to base their entire personality on who they want to romance and spend all their time on becoming good at things to impress their significant other, which wouldn't be very healthy in real life. :P It also makes your first playthrough easier, since you don't have to decide who to romance immediately and can take your time getting to know all the characters and the setting.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, when I mentioned Roommates I actually didn't refer to that kind of gameplay type (since I am done with stat-raising just as a barrier to get a love interest) I was referring to it only as kind of complexity. I mean some more casual gameplay rather than complex stuff like PS2.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I think that what I want from a WW games is the best story (also considering I really loved BH). On the other hand, over the last 9 days, I have spent 80-90 hours in Persona 5 Royal, so clearly I like some gameplay too...

It's hard to know what you really want.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha you tell me! Hard to know what people want. With PS2 I was almost sure I did everything as right as much as I could do, and then... big disappointment, even if so far 80% of people who played it loved it. Sometimes I have no clue anymore what I'm doing either :lol:
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

Choklad and I are probably the two extremes of your customer base. For them the branching and complex story is the heart of your games, for me it's the mechanics. The story is important, but I wouldn't mind a linear one if the CRPG* part is convincing. But such a game wouldn't work for Choklad who sees the gameplay as distraction.

You'll have to walk a fine line. Tricky : )

*) let's use the CRPG Addict's definition to give a baseline: 1) character leveling and development, 2) combats based at least partly on attribute-derived statistics, 3) inventories consisting of something other than just puzzle items
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha yes true. I guess for a RPG I could do either:
- reuse the existing framework for ONCE WITH NO CHANGES (lol! incredible) since it's already quite complex. I would still need to do some work, but surely easier than rewriting 50% of it like I did for PS2
- make a new one very simple like you described, fun but without excessive complexity

The card game is a good example: it's fun, but at same time not too complex both to code and to learn for players. I suspect most of my casual players liked the card game system. The main problem of a game like CoM is the 10 love interests :lol: but otherwise such a game would be fine. Probably still 6-8 months of work but I wouldn't go INSANE like happened with PS2 becoming completely burned out :mrgreen: