future games and Roger Steel cancellation

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

future games and Roger Steel cancellation

Post by jack1974 »

I had already talked with writer about this long time ago so it's not an impulse decision, but Roger Steel is canceled. Anyway for more info you can read the blog post:
https://www.winterwolves.net/blog/2020/ ... ture-rpgs/

I really need to take a break from those big games! CoM will be the last one (big=featuring 10 love interests). I'm looking forward at not spending anymore 1 year of my life working like crazy for an impossible market! :lol:
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: future games and Roger Steel cancellation

Post by Franka »

Funny, I was just looking at Roger Steel a few weeks ago and wondering whatever happened to that one.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha indeed I have some plans to at least reuse the assets :)
To be clear the writer finished the story (at least good part of it) but just I cannot commit to such big games anymore.
mastro
Young scout

Post by mastro »

Long time fan here. I read the post and your recent tweets.
"A simplified RPG/card game/sim/whatever simpler gameplay with 4-6 love interests max would be totally fine.
(which I think is already a big game by most standards lol)"
Yes. It is. I play other indie VNs, and NONE has ever had such a big cast as PS2 PLUS the crazy complex gameplay. I think it was a crazy move honestly and even if I know that you put your fans first, you should also think about the business side. It's no wonder the game is underperforming!
No matter current situation, to recover the cost when you spend so much time you need a massive dose of luck/exposure and such.
I'm looking forward to your "simpler" games that would be considered huge by most other indie developers (at least the ones working alone as you do).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha indeed it was like:
Loren 1 - I did coding/design/brainstorming BUT had Aleema to write / script and Anima to code
SOTW - this one was tough too, however it had "only" 4 love interests and had help for writing anyway. Was still a pain to code, but managed to
QoT - this was very simple compared to others, and had help for writing
Cursed Lands - about 2/3 of it was written, so I finished it myself. Was hard but had fun and in the end wasn't too exhausting

PS2... :lol: fully coded/written/scripted/storyboarded by me. Added lots of new features to the gameplay part. 10 love interests, longest script ever etc. BAM! Totally burned out :mrgreen: