the gameplay poll!

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

how essential is the RPG part in branching, multi-romances epic games (Loren, PS2, etc) ?

I only play in RPG mode!
41%
important
31%
not important
15%
I only play in VN Mode!
13%

Total votes: 68

jack1974
Pack leader

the gameplay poll!

Post by jack1974 »

Based on some feedback I got from PS2, but also my past RPGs where I put the "Visual Novel Mode", I am wondering exactly how many players like the RPG part. Note that by RPG I mean the combat and everything related (skills, items, inventory, etc).
This is only to help me better understand what the majority of people want. I know that like in all things, there are groups of people wanting different things. For me as creator is important to match most people's tastes, but many times I did things just because I liked doing them or even to please various niches (like card games! :mrgreen:).

Anyway the thing is: PS2 is A BIG game, however without the RPG part, I could have cut the development time by 5 months minimum. Note that I could still have branching plots, "tough choices", and so on, just not combat, map exploration, etc.

I think in any case I might try (with a shorter cast though!) making a fantasy game in which you don't fight, or better you fight but not like a RPG, only through choices and skill checks maybe to see what people think (because polls are useful but as always the real test is when people are ready to spend money to buy something)!

Any comments/feedback is welcome :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: the gameplay poll!

Post by Franka »

I'm not difficult. I just want the RPG system completely redesigned for every game, new and innovative, like nothing I've ever tried before, but easy to learn and exciting to play. :lol:

Seriously, the RPG parts are important for your games, but I feel Loren combat system fatigue by now.

On the other hand, if you made card combat for every game going forward, I wouldn't get tired of it. :wink:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Franka wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:23 pm I'm not difficult. I just want the RPG system completely redesigned for every game, new and innovative, like nothing I've ever tried before, but easy to learn and exciting to play. :lol:
As Michelle would say "easy peasy"! :mrgreen:
Nah, I agree but making a new RPG system from scratch is really tough. However might do some more experiments in future! I have the "puzzlequest RPG system" that I could try for example.
Franka wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:23 pm On the other hand, if you made card combat for every game going forward, I wouldn't get tired of it. :wink:
Haha I know and believe me, I'm eager for PS2 beta to be over to resume working on CoM (the new acronym for Curse Of Mantras) at full speed.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm locking this thread since based on my recent decision to not make anymore a big combo of huge story + complex RPG, doesn't make much sense anymore :lol: