spam me with your favorite artists/art styles

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

spam me with your favorite artists/art styles

Post by jack1974 »

I thought: instead of making a poll, why not ask my fans (or even not fans but just potentially interested people in buying my games) to show me exactly what they like? :)
Because it's easy to say "stylized manga" or "more realistic manga" or "painted style" and so on, but there's a lot of difference in the same style between the various artists.

So I would like you to post links/images to artist that you adore, I mean that just the art alone would make you considering getting the game (if that is a thing, I know for some people the main thing is the story).

I think this would help me understand a bit better the tastes. Even in my own games I was surprised by how some performed and by the reception of the fans towards certain artists (and it's really impossible for me to understand since depends on personal tastes). Thanks

p.s. of coure you can also just pick from my games and tell me this artist XYZ is my favorite and so on!
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: spam me with your favorite artists/art styles

Post by Franka »

My favorite animé style and "must buy" artist is Kopi Anget (HuniePop, a lot of Dharker Studios games):
NSFW https://www.deviantart.com/kopianget/gallery
https://www.patreon.com/kopiangetcup/posts

Also very fond of Japanese artist Yaegashi Nan (Senran Kagura games):
https://www.zerochan.net/Yaegashi+Nan

Western style, I can't really think of anyone specific other than the big D&D artists, Larry Elmore (http://www.larryelmore.com/store/) and Clyde Caldwell (https://clydecaldwell.com/). I've got a some of their art books on my shelf. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I see, it's hard to find manga artists of that style (at least I couldn't find any). But I agree is cute, maybe a bit too much on the "everyone is 20 years old" style for me but I see why it might be appealing :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

...I probably just really like exaggerated curves. :lol:

I've seen some imitations of Kopi Anget's style, but it's not just the style itself, but also the incredible quality in detail and shading that makes him my favorite.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well if you're after curves you might like the character art of the secret yuri game then (not the CG probably since I had to use a different artists for that). Hope to be able to post art of that game publicly soon :)
ElfenLied
Young scout

Post by ElfenLied »

I play mainly for the story, but if you can give me a game with the same art as Claymore I'll be happy for life :P

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

ElfenLied wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:39 pm I play mainly for the story, but if you can give me a game with the same art as Claymore I'll be happy for life :P
You mean with all tall, slender and blonde people? :lol: :lol:
Jokes apart cool style, I don't like much the faces but are just personal tastes.
ElfenLied
Young scout

Post by ElfenLied »

jack1974 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:13 pm You mean with all tall, slender and blonde people? :lol: :lol:
Jokes apart cool style, I don't like much the faces but are just personal tastes.
There's an explanation for that. :mrgreen:
They all have the same hair/eyes colour as a result of a genetic mutation. The author of this manga was clearly inspired by The Witcher because the incipit is quite similar. They are a group of women whose pyisical abilities were enhanced by a mysterious organization in order to make them fight monsters. And like Witchers they don't have emotions, they have supernatural health regeneration, they don't meddle with human's matters, and they are often feared by other humans, who consider them monsters as well.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah OK makes more sense now!
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Generally speaking, I appreciate some variety, as long as the art fundamentals are there. I prefer a lot of colors over heavily tinting a single color, though the latter can work depending on the context.

Shigenori Soejima: mostly known as the character designer for the Persona series.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Jeff Meghart: an animator who worked in a variety of projects and studios, including Disney. Worked on an early Playstation 2 game called The Mark of Kri and its sequel, Rise of the Kasai. Also worked on Wildstar Online.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Bengus: currently a freelancer, but was a prominent artist for Capcom in 90s. Over the years, he has shown his ability to change his art style.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Jason Chan: worked on some marketing illustrations for Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 3. Currently a senior concept artist for Riot Games.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
These are a few artists I can name at the top of my head and I limited it to the concept art and illustration side of video games. In practice, there are usually multiple artists working on a single game and with an art director ensures the art has a unified look. Sometimes, I like the early concept art more than the final designs.
Last edited by Jaeger on Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.