If you have trouble starting my games (Win/Mac)

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

If you have trouble starting my games (Win/Mac)

Post by jack1974 »

Check if you have a recent enough OS (Windows XP+ and Mac OS 10.4+) but in 99% of cases is going to be a "codesign issue".

I made a long blog post about this MADNESS a while ago: blog/2017/10/status-update-codesign-and ... amenities/

So what is the solution? If you use another app to launch your app, it works! Even if your app isn't codesigned. This is the case of client apps like Steam or Itch.io client. If you install them, you'll be always able * to run my games just fine.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: If you have trouble starting my games (Win/Mac)

Post by Troyen »

If you're on a newer Mac OS and you see "Error -60005 creating authorization" in the crash log after a failed launch, this is likely the reason.

To find the crash logs:
1. Navigate to the Utilities folder (Shift-Apple-U when on the Finder).
2. Open up the Console application.
3. Look in the displayed log file for an error related to the game, or errors logged right around the time you tried to open the game. Sometimes these will be hidden under the User Diagnostic Reports folder or the System Diagnostic Reports. But if it's recent enough, you can also find it under the "All Messages" section.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

This also seems to apply to error -67062. The symptoms here are you go to double-click on the application and it doesn't launch, or you see the icon appear and immediately disappear in the dock. This can happen even if you have gatekeeper on High Sierra set to "Allow apps downloaded from Anywhere".

The itch.io client is the recommended workaround.

If you don't like the client, there's a much riskier workaround that involves temporarily disabling Gatekeeper and launching from the console. In this particular case, it seems there might be a game or renpy dependency accessing something in a way Apple doesn't like.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for you help Troyen - basically 100% of support requests I get now are on Macs. So this will be useful :)