itch.io FAQ

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

itch.io FAQ

Post by jack1974 »

The itch.io main store page is here: https://winter-wolves.itch.io/

Thought to put this together because of the transition to itch.io for my direct sales.For reasons and advantages, you can read this blog post:
http://www.winterwolves.net/blog/2017/1 ... amenities/

Q: Wahhhh I don't want to install a client app!
A: It's optional. You can go to the game page on itch.io, and you'll find a standard .zip download like before. However it's strongly recommended to install the client, due to anviriuses, Windows smartscreen and other things, you're likely to have many problems trying to run a game without a client

Q: What if I bought the game from your site before? How do I redownload it?
A: For existing users, that don't want to use Steam (because you should have been able to get a Steam key anyway) you can simply download the game demo on itch.io, and use your old serial code to activate the demo in a full game, like you were doing when downloading from my own site. Future games won't work like this anymore, but old ones yes.

Q: What about Steam keys?
A: For games already out, when you buy it from itch.io you get a Steam key. For the beta versions, they'll be added to each order once the game is officiall out on Steam. So you won't need to redeem them anymore in another site like before, but you'll find it directly in your itch.io order page, much easier :)

For now that's all, but I'll keep updating it in case new frequent questions arise :)
Rebly82
Woods ranger

Re: itch.io FAQ

Post by Rebly82 »

You said "future games won't work like this anymore". So how would it work? Do you mean that it will be a whole different system from the usual, where normally you would input your serial/email into the game to unlock the full version? :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I'll just use demo/fullversion, since with itch.io works better that way :) also updating the files won't be an issue anymore.
Rebly82
Woods ranger

Post by Rebly82 »

Hey Jack! I was wondering if you can add a link to your itch.io store page here? Since this is the FAQ, it's the perfect place to do so. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Good point, I updated the first post :)
All my games are there except SOTW since I was waiting to see if they manage to implement DLC in an easy way.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

I think you should do the opposite too and link to the FAQ from your store page.

Also, why is the "browse all games" limited to a tiny panel on the right? :/ Feels weird to have all this blank space and a tiny "actual content" section. And is there any way to categorize or sort the games like you can on your site? Seems to be listed in a random order (maybe the order you uploaded them in).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I can do that, yes. As for the order / layout, I just found out that I can choose the order myself so I'll update it. But I don't know if I can change the layout. Anyway, they've been very helpful in general, so there are good chances that if I ask they'll find a way to change it :)

edit: lol actually was just a button to display them as grid! So I'll update the page shortly :lol:
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Wow, that looks a lot better.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Just had to click "edit theme" and check a few checkboxes :lol: I could even use a custom CSS to customize further, but I think looks OK already!
erdbeere
Young scout

Post by erdbeere »

Are paypal, credit card and bitcoin the only available payment options?
I tried looking it up on itch.io, but like most online stores they don't seem to make information about payment methods easily available.