One thing I'd like to see in a future Aravorn game...

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
vultureblade
Young scout

One thing I'd like to see in a future Aravorn game...

Post by vultureblade »

... is a playable reoccurring character. I don't mean just cameos and casual mentions like Amukiki in SotW or Apolimeisho in AMS, but someone who had at least a small role in a previous game. For instance, maybe Manuel or Bernard could show up as a playable character in a new game.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: One thing I'd like to see in a future Aravorn game...

Post by jack1974 »

Yes that's a nice idea, I wanted to do something like this. Once I finish my current long queue of games, that is ! :lol:
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

From a story perspective, it's pretty cool to be able to take a character through a series of multiple games. You have more opportunities to grow that character and become attached to them. The Mass Effect trilogy is a good example.

From a gameplay perspective, it's kinda hard to save progress between games. If the character is only playable in one game, like the amazon guard in Loren 2, then it's not so bad. But trying to keep a reoccurring character through multiple games is often unsatisfying, since you usually have to reset all their progress at the start of each game. I don't know how Loren 2 will handle it, but pretty much every RPG sequel you start back at level 1 because you have to account for the wide variety of playstyles from players of the first game (grinders vs casual) and also players that didn't play the first game. A few games let you carry over some progress: I believe Baldur's Gate 2 let you carry on with your first game character (then again, character progression was much slower than your typical modern RPG) and ME3 let you carry over level and stats from ME2, but those seem fairly rare.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes indeed after Loren 2 and PS 2, for sure I won't make anymore games in which the main character carries on. Especally RPGs, for the reasons above.
But in my case even for the story is a mess for the romances (as already explained in another thread). Seems one of those situations where no matter how I handle it, people will be unhappy.
The famous lose-lose situation :lol:
vultureblade
Young scout

Post by vultureblade »

I wasn't really thinking about main characters.... but I have to admit it would be cool if Shea and Althea showed up in Loren 2 :)