what I'm working on next

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

what I'm working on next

Post by jack1974 »

Last Update: 1 NOVEMBER

This is the replacement thread for the "estimate release dates" one I was talking about. Since it's IMPOSSIBLE to know when a game is out, it's better if I just keep a sort of log of what I'm working on and the current progress, no?

Remember: sometimes to do the last 10% of development can take MONTHS. Take for example Volleyball Heaven: the story is all done, it was all done already a couple of months ago, but there's still a lot of art to be finished and need to script/playtest and code some other parts. It might not even be out this year. Also because I don't want to rush any game anymore, so if to do that last 10% which can improve the game greatly we need months, we're going to take months :)

You understand why "estimate release date" it's totally a useless concept now? :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: what I'm working on next

Post by jack1974 »

Current working on:
Love Bites - writer is finishing some routes, and "the scripter" is sending me the stuff to playtest. They're both doing a very good job, when I get the scripted files I add a bit of stuff here and there, but overall I'd say it's 60-70% good. Main plot and Viktor are done, 3 romances left to do :)
Cursed Lands - even if writer needs to do the main quest scenes, I'm using placeholders and I keep coding the other sidequests (there are many) so I don't lose time
Volleyball Heaven - just managing the art production for now (a few secondary characters and all the romance CGs to be done), and waiting for the writer to send me the final script (with some basic scripting added).
Rebly82
Woods ranger

Post by Rebly82 »

Of course! But I still hope you can put back a general list of the rest of the games, so we can see the overall games you had. Just a very simple text list will do (No need for an update on those). Asking for the future, that is (the current list batch can be referred to in the old thread). :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

You mean a list of the games currently in progress? yes that is not a problem, though in future I'll limit what I post in public greatly, I'm aiming to become a "normal indie dev" who has max 2-3 projects at once (lol, actually normal indie devs just have ONE they're working on at any given time!).
Listing everything I am planning to make in the long run has become too much stressing, when people (rightfully) ask stuff like "is game XYZ abandoned?". Etc. If it's not listed anywhere in public, people can't ask and I don't get bad reputation (I still remember when I finished 5 games last year some people whining that I never finish games... :o :mrgreen: )
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

I understand you can't really give any specific periods, but can't you still at least put like year you expect game not to be in.

Like for example Loren 2 - probably not before 2019. Cursed Lands - probably not before end of 2017 etc...
You might actually get less "is it abounded? when will it be?" questions that way and it's not something you need to update all the time.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well in that case I should still update it every year and it would be a bit pointless anyway. For example I expected PS2 to be out max in 2013... we're in 2017... lol :mrgreen:

The games I'm working on now, are games very advanced and where the writer assured me would get the writing done quickly (of course, unexpected problems can still happen, but in general writers I trust and expect to do what they said).

Anyways once I get back writing most games myself, deadlines will be meet much more regularly 8)

I will update that other thread as you suggested so at least people won't be waiting a game expecting it to be out soon!
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

jack1974 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:17 pm Anyways once I get back writing most games myself, deadlines will be meet much more regularly 8)
Sweet! More like BH (always will be my big thing, in case ya don't know by now, lol) and PS1, then? :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Not just sci-fi, even if I really like it. But for example I'm going to write some story parts of PS2 (already spoke with Miakoda) so the missions are better integrated with the gameplay I have in mind to do. For the romances instead I'll leave them to her since she'll do a much better job than me for sure :lol:
As said already this was also a main issue in Amber, for certain kind of games (but all games with a gameplay in general) you really need to write it yourself (at least the main story) because you're the only one that knows how the gameplay is. Writers can try to guess, but it's really hard.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:17 pm I will update that other thread as you suggested so at least people won't be waiting a game expecting it to be out soon!
Yea that's what I was thinking about when I made a suggestion, this way at least people won't jump on hype train before rails are even made :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes but for that the best solution in future games will be to not announce anything until things are almost done :)