ultimate story setting poll!

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

what is your favorite setting for a story?

You may select up to 3 options

View results

jack1974
Pack leader

Re: ultimate story setting poll!

Post by jack1974 »

A supernatural themed RPG sounds fun indeed :) Once I finish all the projects in the works, maybe...
Lady Dee
Young scout

Post by Lady Dee »

Fantasy, supernatural, historical; both altogether and separately. I would totally be down to see those three mixed together. Especially in an alternate Victrorian era setting. That would be sweet.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm so my Victorian zombies idea wasn't too bad :lol:
(I'm just teasing, not starting any new games this year!!! haha)
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

jack1974 wrote:Hmm so my Victorian zombies idea wasn't too bad :lol:
(I'm just teasing, not starting any new games this year!!! haha)
Jack I been here for a long time, and I know you....LOL you always see something and get a brilliant idea and whammo! Another game gets put into the development queue.

Remember never say never....I will always come back and haunt yahs! :o :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well, as always doesn't depends only on me, but also on writers/artists.
I want to keep the "max running projects at once" at an acceptable amount, since I am crazy but up to a certain point :lol:
Right now there's one writer (can't say who because is working on a "secret game") who is working at lighting speed. But this because he/she got the right inspiration :)
So if this game gets finished, I might start working on this victorian zombie idea... :mrgreen:
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

Should such a game be done, Jack, can we see futuristic themes as well?

A steampunk-supernatural thing w/ zombies would OWN!!!!! :o :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I like the post-apocaliptic setting :)
Madance
Druid

Post by Madance »

Fantasy, Sci-fi and Supernatural are the favorites, it seems. It makes sense, after all, games set in Aravorn, Planet Stronghold(using the anime style, unfortunately) and Nicole are good examples. I really think that "Supernatural", "Sci-fi" and "Fantasy is far reaching, like, could go from a vampire game to a horror one; or have date sim's in Aravorn, not just RPG's(like Heir's and Grace) or different kinds of Sci-fi(Planet Stronghold and Bionic Heart), so it's quite possible to have some differences in the same genre.

To me, what really matters is the story. I prefer those settings for having stories full of potential, like, anything could happen in them. A setting in the modern world is a bit "boring";- it doesn't mean the game isn't good, just that I won't be impressed by it since I already know what to expect, like the game Roommates were in a simple slice of life setting, and even so, I had fun; but games like Nicole had me on my toes and really got my attention, even if they took place in modern times.

The characters are very important and sort of give color to the setting that you're playing, like, Loren got a lot of praise for not making your character the "chosen one" hero for saving the world, but more like a side-kick for the main character, that is, Loren herself, but even so, it was about the journey, the growing as a team and as a powerful working force to save more than the typical "the world", but the very society that oppressed you. So, characters like Loren and a fantasy setting like Aravorn really makes a difference in whether the game will be appreciated by the fans of good writing and good games in general, although, it's a shame that the majority of the date sim's/visual novel players are so attached to the anime style kind of art. Planet Stronghold was one of the best games I ever played from Winter Wolves and one of my favorites from all time, even if didn't received the love it deserved, and one of the reasons for not selling as much was the card battle game play and the more realist art style, like the American comics style used in super heroes stories.

So, it's safe to assume that stories a good anime style(please, choose an anime artist that doesn't make the characters look the same or strange) like Queen of Thieves or Loren, with a good story and characters that keeps the player interested in it would be the best way to go and the genre used for the setting(based on this pool) would be fantasy, sci-fi or supernatural.

I would suggest that like this pool were made to choose the favorite genre, there was a pool to choose the artist for it(like, putting some examples of each one available to make the game art and only commission after getting the results) and the kind of romanceable character each option(GxG,BxB,GxB,BxG) would like to have in the game. Like, a bad boy or a goody-two shoes for BxB, a shy or temptress for BxG and so on.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Madance wrote:So, it's safe to assume that stories a good anime style(please, choose an anime artist that doesn't make the characters look the same or strange) like Queen of Thieves or Loren, with a good story and characters that keeps the player interested in it would be the best way to go and the genre used for the setting(based on this pool) would be fantasy, sci-fi or supernatural.
Yes pretty much that was my conclusion :) Of course, I still like to experiment, so could try other settings. But on art-style probably I'm going to stick to manga in the future :)

BTW what you mean characters look the same, you think in some of my games it's like that? just curious.
Madance wrote:I would suggest that like this pool were made to choose the favorite genre, there was a pool to choose the artist for it(like, putting some examples of each one available to make the game art and only commission after getting the results) and the kind of romanceable character each option(GxG,BxB,GxB,BxG) would like to have in the game. Like, a bad boy or a goody-two shoes for BxB, a shy or temptress for BxG and so on.
I did a poll a while ago for art style! here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2841
It's ancient though, 2013... :shock:
I think doing as you said would be nuts, I mean art style for each combo...:lol: In general I think people like a specific art-style, independently from what kind of romance they like?
Madance
Druid

Post by Madance »

No, Jack, that's not what I meant by it(not a different art style for each romance combo). What I suggest was to make a pool based on the kind of character each option rather have. Like, those who like BxB romances, what kind of male character would they rather romance, if they have suggestions of characters like that and so. This would make the romance ideas easier to know based on the setting and the story planned for the game. It's a little similar like you did when you let us decide who would be the GxG romance option for PSCD, Charllotte or Mizuki, but you wouldn't need to put the sprites for us to choose, just the ideas for the new character, and only when they were settled, the characters would be able to be shown to the public.

I hope I explained everything well...