ultimate story setting poll!

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

what is your favorite setting for a story?

You may select up to 3 options

View results

DarkWolf
Druid

Re: ultimate story setting poll!

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:Damn, I forgot the:
[ ] as long as it has yuri, I'm in
option!!! :lol: :lol:
Ultimately I am voting for that one :) .
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

jack1974 wrote:Hmm sci-fi is quite low, though to be honest we could consider cyberpunk PART of sci-fi... it's hard to make those distinctions! :oops:
Yeah, you broke "science-fiction" into three arguable subcategories, but left "fantasy" as one giant one and gave us three votes, so... :P
Franka wrote:I did vote, but honestly, I don't think I really care that much? I'm a little bit tired of vanilla fantasy, and I think comedy is very hard to do right, but the setting is way less important than the romance options. :mrgreen:
Agree.
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

Why only 3, Jack? Makes this damn near impossible to decide! :P

As I've been sayin for...I don't even know--feels like YEARS--we GOTTA have more pure comedy games like Roommates!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Question: What's meant by "cyberpunk"? Would that be like the BH games, w/ robots and such?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yeah probably I should have posted a list first, and then choose from it. But I can't change the polls otherwise this forum software resets everything :mrgreen:
I guess if someone votes sci-fi, could include both cyberpunk and steampunk :)
But fantasy? I don't think you can split that one?
Anyway, still quite surprised about the supernatural amount of votes. Good that I started Love Bites then 8)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

The escapist in me leans towards sci-fi and fantasy, though I can appreciate other genres when done well.

As much as I enjoyed Loren and SOTW, I prefer fantasy that veers away from the Tolkien mold. Jade Empire combined wuxia with steampunk. The Mark of Kri was noteable for its Polynesian influence. While it features the familar high fantasy races, Dark Sun forgoes the well-worn medivial setting in favor of a harsh post-apocalyptic world. There potential for more but people seem to love their elves and dwarves.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah yes, I completely forgot that I love "post-apocalyptic" stuff :) Like Fallout 4, etc. Or the Dark Sun series you mention, I really loved those RPGs when I played them... years ago :oops:
Rinvee
Young scout

Post by Rinvee »

jack1974 wrote: Anyway, still quite surprised about the supernatural amount of votes. Good that I started Love Bites then 8)
I may or may not have that one particularly in mind when asked for "supernatural" choice added ;)
And btw thanks for that and sorry for the reset :oops:

I went with fantasy. Tolkien or not I like all! I'm not picky about it. Detective/Crime is my not so secret love and honestly if I can't decide my 3rd pick it my as well be that one.

But as others already said I'm good with nearly anything as long it has great story, intresting characters etc.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote: But fantasy? I don't think you can split that one?
Actually I think Fantasy is one of genres you can split the most.
First some people consider supernatural to be a modern time fantasy, then there is a high fantasy and "casual" fantasy (witch is more like a historical but witch some fantasy elements).
Then there are splits based on mythology such as Norse mythology, classical medevil Europe mythology, Japanese mythology, Greek mythology, Egyptian mythology.... then there are Dark Fantasy, Goth type Fantasy and even Pirate stories with fantasy.
Then you could also split it on Adventure Fantasy and non-adventure fantasy .
And then there are also hybrids like SCI-FI Fantasy like some of FF series.
And if I ware to go deeper into smaller sub-genres there is much more splits I could think of.

That said while I might prefer some sub-genres of Fantasy over the other, Fantasy as a whole is still my favorite genre (After Shoujo-AI(Yuri) but that is not in a question here. And then there is also Chuuni but that is genre that can't be written by someone who isn't very familiar with it) fallowed by Supernatural.

PS: Not saying you should change a pool, just saying.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No worries I won't change the pool anymore :lol:
Yes if by fantasy you include the mythology, then there's a lot of stuff indeed :)
Astrala
Young scout

Post by Astrala »

Fantasy and supernatural were an easy choice for my top two, but I was a little iffy about whether I should go for steam or cyber punk, so I flipped a coin, and it voted for steam.

Though to be honest I love the vast majority of your games -I haven't gotten to play all of them, and I'd probably play anything with an otome option :oops: , but I'm not all that fond of the horror and crime genres. I always end up hating the characters in those types of games, because there's always moment where the main character does something horribly stupid and you can't stop them. I know it's a necessary plot device, but seriously, what level of brain damage must a person have to willingly walk down a decrepit hallway toward the blood-curdling screams of agony in an attempt to ESCAPE when they can just break a window, bail, and call the police :x .

I know most characters in supernatural games have sort of an affinity for the stupid as well, but in those types of games the characters are usually aware that what they are doing is going to be risking death. It feels more like those characters are choosing to fight whatever comes there way, rather than trying, and miserably failing, to run away.

Actually, I'd really like to see what you could do with a supernatural themed RPG, though I know that's way to much to ask for. It's just fun to think about. Something like Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor meets Harvest Moon :) .