dark themes in games/stories

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
Svanhildr
Young scout

Re: dark themes in games/stories

Post by Svanhildr »

I love dark themes, as long as there is also light as in good and happy moments as well.
Meep :3
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

As long as the story is good (and yuri content) I will buy.

With that said for me to say retweet it(lol my social network is so small it ain't funny) it; it takes a COMPELLING story and strong characters to fall in love with a game.

So far all the games I have purchased; Loren, SOTW, PSCD, and a few others had great stories and character to bring the world to life. As long as the status quo is is used (with yuri mind you : P ) you will get my money tossed at you in a very expeditious manner XD
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha I laughed at this sentence:
Pace675 wrote: you will get my money tossed at you in a very expeditious manner XD
yes I plan to take great care about the story anyway, no matter if it's dark or not. I'm curious what people will think about SOME QoT scenes, since that game has both funny moments but also some very dark ones. We'll see :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:Haha I laughed at this sentence:
Pace675 wrote: you will get my money tossed at you in a very expeditious manner XD
yes I plan to take great care about the story anyway, no matter if it's dark or not. I'm curious what people will think about SOME QoT scenes, since that game has both funny moments but also some very dark ones. We'll see :)
I think that mixing dark moments and funny/cute ones is a best way to go as it makes a story more realistic and deepens a characters by giving them a chance to be shown in both lights.
CruelLove
Young scout

Post by CruelLove »

Maybe. Mixing the two might also lead to either one feeling shallow or out of place, which can be detrimental to the story.

Anyway, I enjoyed the mood in SotW, but I felt the one in Loren iacking sometimes because it often felt too "heroic", if that is the right word. There are some darker moments here and there, but often feel left to the wayside in the grand scheme of things.

Still excited to what you will put out though.
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

CruelLove wrote:Maybe. Mixing the two might also lead to either one feeling shallow or out of place, which can be detrimental to the story.
Got to agree with you there. And for the love of everything that is good (or evil,lol) in Aravorn, please no fake deaths!! *I'm looking at you, The Walking Dead and The Game of Thrones*
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Lol you know that you're talking about a fantasy world where resurrect is the name of a spell? :lol:
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

In fights, they are always just 'knocked-out' anyway, not dead. :P
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yeah haha. Back to the previous question, I agree that mixing "comedy" stuff with serious is risky, but if it's done well, is cool. I mean even in GOT there are several fun moments (like the Podrick "sex scene") and works well :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

fabulaparva wrote:
CruelLove wrote:Maybe. Mixing the two might also lead to either one feeling shallow or out of place, which can be detrimental to the story.
Got to agree with you there. And for the love of everything that is good (or evil,lol) in Aravorn, please no fake deaths!! *I'm looking at you, The Walking Dead and The Game of Thrones*

I don't think this has to be a bad thing, for example in SOTW
Spoiler:
I had never had problem with Rowinda's death at an end turning up to be fake and I liked how it was done.
So I think it all depends on how it is done.