State of the industry :)

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: State of the industry :)

Post by jack1974 »

Nah I think you're overestimating that. For example, SOTW had no launch discount and was in popular new releases :)
Other games from indies I know did the same.
Besides there's a banner in the frontpage for every new release (the ones under the big capsule) and they get 1M impressions. So I don't think people are missing it, maybe are waiting for a sale later or as chudah said, don't have money because of all the releases this month (and upcoming ones).
Franka wrote: It's a horrible grinding game, don't bother.
Ouch. Shame, I was looking to play something else beside Hearthstone! I'll have to make my own sexy card game then :twisted:
chudah
Young scout

Post by chudah »

Katicflis wrote:People do not sit on steam refreshing the steam library looking for new games. No one is sitting there hitting 'refresh, refresh, refresh' looking for a new dating sim. Without a release sale you have NO visibility. It's gonna be every game you release on steam, sexy or not.
Well, I do think a lot of VN fans are aware of new releases. There are several Steam Groups that announce upcoming releases and keep the fanbase updated. No release discount hurts, though. It doesn't need to be anything big, just 10% off the first week would see more sales. Without a discount, there's nothing to spur someone to buy it RIGHT NOW rather than in 2+ weeks because they're not losing out on anything by waiting (other than the enjoyment of the game itself, of course). And with so many other releases this month, people are more likely to pick up a title that has a discount than one that doesn't, getting more bang for their buck so to speak.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I will try to do that launch discount in future games, my only concern is to be fair with people who bought the game directly. So I'll find a way to discount the game for them too of the same amount :)
OhHaiMe
Young scout

Post by OhHaiMe »

jack1974 wrote:Ouch. Shame, I was looking to play something else beside Hearthstone!
If you want to play an online competitive card game that is actually good and original then try Urban Rivals,The tactics and psychology in the gameplay is amazing. Plus It has a really good "Free to play" system that's really easy to earn good cards just by playing.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks will take a look :)
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

jack1974 wrote:I will try to do that launch discount in future games, my only concern is to be fair with people who bought the game directly. So I'll find a way to discount the game for them too of the same amount :)
Or better yet! (Well may be just me speaking here) Have a longer delay before releasing on Steam for the people who buy directly from your site, sort of like an early access for the game. This is after the prepurchases of the beta release and testing of the game. So basically after the people betaed the game and paid early for till you can launch the 1.0 version. When you launch it do it on your site one month before you release on Steam again selling a privilege to pay earlier, and when you do launch on Steam have a sale on that game to keep it fair.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yeah. With last two games took 1 month (more or less) to get on Steam, but they're super busy now so the new one might take more time (I have to email them several times to get an answer!).
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

jack1974 wrote:Ouch. Shame, I was looking to play something else beside Hearthstone! I'll have to make my own sexy card game then :twisted:
There's a new CCG called HEX that has a long single player campaign, where you get a lot of free cards. The rules are pretty much Magic the Gathering. It's not very sexy though. :wink:
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

There is this new card game coming out called shadowverse that I'm keeping my eye on. Looks nice, I just hope it's good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUUOqRZ-a1k
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

As someone who knows a lot about state game industry and even more of VN industry I thought I could offer some info that you might find useful.

The biggest events in game industry in last few years ware probably fall of AA game developers that started around end of 2011 witch opened up many possibilities for smaller indie developers and the rise of JRPGs and VNs ports to PC and localization that started around end of 2014. This means that 2012-2013 ware the best years for indie games and this was probably a huge factor in popularity of Loren.

Many of VN fans don't play and don't fallow OELVNs (Original English Language VNs) and don't hear about them. The only really well known OELVNs on most of VNs fans forums are the ones connected with one of big 3 VN localization companies (Sekai Project, Mangagamer, JAST USA). That said among people who do also read and fallow OELVNs Winter Wolfs are considered to be one of biggest if not the biggest OELVNs developers.

Based on pools recently done on Mangagamer website but also on upcoming titles of Sekai Project and JAST USA the VNs currently with biggest rise in popularity are GxG titles.