State of the industry :)

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

State of the industry :)

Post by jack1974 »

All right, I released C14 Dating on Steam. It didn't go in popular new releases either, but I expected that (the game is doing fine, it's not a problem). I studied the market recently and it seems that now:
- either you release a game with a big discount (there's one right now with a 85% launch discount!!!!!!) or cheap
- you need something unique (like the game made by my friend Dave, March Of The Living)
- you are a big publisher with a lot of money to spend on ads (like my friend Cliff Harris and others)

I am none of the above :mrgreen:
I don't want to launch a game with a big discount like that after people bought it on my site at full price. I'm not going to do bundles anymore, and while I could do some big discount on Steam/direct, for sure only after a lot of months the game is out, otherwise it feels like I'm cheating my fans/customers :)
I might do some cheaper games if I can keep the production costs down, which basically means no long story, and more focus on gameplay, even if it's riskier for sure.
It's pretty clear that it can't be a VN or dating sim, unless it's a big name (like a port of a super successful VN in Japan or made by some popular indie). I might really try to do a roguelike one day.

Anyway, I also noticed there's an anime card game now in the popular releases, a port from a PS Vita game. I haven't played it, but the numbers are quite impressive, 500 cards! (PSCD has about 130-140). It has sexy images... :lol:

At this point it's pretty clear that to succeed on Steam you need sexy stuff. Loren had them and was my best selling game: initially thought was a coincidence, but now...!
So while I'll keep doing more tame games like C14 Dating and such, definitely will need to go back doing hot stuff (I know you will be all sad about this decision :lol:) I will always offer a censored option so people who don't want to see hot stuff can play the games normally.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: State of the industry :)

Post by jack1974 »

I just thought to add something before some people are scared: the sexy stuff in most games will be OPTIONAL, like in Loren. I *might* do some games in which it's the main focus though, like Huniepop & Co. But I'll be very upfront about it, even with a warning on the first game screen, so you know what you're getting into! :lol:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I approve of sexy card games. I put that one on my wishlist, but I'll be getting it for sure.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

If you do let me know if it's good :) it is not censored so probably is not like Huniepop or anything. Indeed it's enough to add some sexy outfit to make something more popular, it seems :lol:
chudah
Young scout

Post by chudah »

I know I mentioned this to you through Twitter, but I think the timing of C14 Dating's release may be affecting sales some. I have a lot of otome-loving friends on Steam and all of them seem very interested in C14, but with Ozmafia coming next week and several other otoge having released in the previous weeks (Dongezaka Labs has been porting their mobage to Steam), they just don't have the funds for it right now. No release discount has potential buyers holding off for now because there's no immediate benefit for buying it right away since the price won't be changing anytime soon. I'm not saying you NEED to have a discount, I understand why you don't, but just letting you know what I'm hearing.

I will definitely pick this up myself next week, but things are also tight for me with all these releases, and I just came back from vacation and all the spending that entails.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha yes, it's starting to be crowded on Steam for visual novels :lol:
That said, I still think what I posted above is valid. I know several female players who won't mind (or even ask for) more sexy stuff (both lesbian and straight players). I think as long as I make everything optional, or I make clear what kind of game it is if won't be optional, there shouldn't be any problems :) Besides it's not like I'm going to make hentai games or anything, just stuff a little more sexy.
chudah
Young scout

Post by chudah »

Well, I certainly don't mind sexier, as long as the story is good and characters interesting. I can forgive pretty much every other misgiving as long as the story and characters are well done.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes of course, I still want to do that :)
Katicflis
Young scout

Post by Katicflis »

People do not sit on steam refreshing the steam library looking for new games. No one is sitting there hitting 'refresh, refresh, refresh' looking for a new dating sim. Without a release sale you have NO visibility. It's gonna be every game you release on steam, sexy or not.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

jack1974 wrote:If you do let me know if it's good :)
It's a horrible grinding game, don't bother.