about music/background effects

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

about music/background effects

Post by jack1974 »

What are your thoughts about what should be playing in the background while reading the VN part ?
I usually put the musics, though in some cases, especially in RPGs I also put background/ambient effects (for example if it's a forge you would hear the metal sounds, if it's the camp talk the fire sound from the campfire, etc).
I am not sure if always using the music could be repetitive. On the other hand, using the background effect could also make it seem a bit too silent :) So I'm not sure what would be the best way to go... ?
mizu_ki
Woods ranger

Re: about music/background effects

Post by mizu_ki »

I think adding background/ambient effects would be nice as long as it's not overdone. For instance, say you enter a café. I think a little clip of chatter would be nice; it might be too much to heard chattering throughout the whole scene though. I personally like the music but sometimes wish there were effects to make the scene whole. Imo, I think music (not the same song throughout the entire game :) ) and effects would be great. Another example or two, could be beeping sounds for a hospital or digging sounds for a dig site. :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK makes sense. For some games I already went with music only, but for QoT for example will look if I can add more sound effects :)
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

mizu_ki wrote:I think adding background/ambient effects would be nice as long as it's not overdone. For instance, say you enter a café. I think a little clip of chatter would be nice; it might be too much to heard chattering throughout the whole scene though. I personally like the music but sometimes wish there were effects to make the scene whole. Imo, I think music (not the same song throughout the entire game :) ) and effects would be great. Another example or two, could be beeping sounds for a hospital or digging sounds for a dig site. :mrgreen:
I largely concur with what is said here!
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

Especially where your games have a lot of text, having appropriate sound effects could help with immersion.