"digital signature is corrupt or invalid" error

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

"digital signature is corrupt or invalid" error

Post by jack1974 »

Some users reported that warning, of course only using MS browsers (IE or Edge on Windows 10).
I discovered why. Technical details here http://aka.ms/sha1
Non-technical summary: MS decided to not trust an algorithm on a purely theoretical weakness (which I find a bit hilarious... we're signing games, not top secret software!!) and so marked as invalid all the installers I did.
Of course if you just use Chrome or Firefox (as I do) you won't see any message :mrgreen:
But in practice it means I need to rebuild/resign/reinstall ALL the Windows installers! :o Of all my games... that might take a while :oops:

For now I'll wait, because I was planning to do that already but when Ren'Py reached the new stable release (since also fixes some other issues). In any case even if you see those warnings, my games works just fine and aren't a threat to the world security :lol:
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: "digital signature is corrupt or invalid" error

Post by Troyen »

jack1974 wrote: Non-technical summary: MS decided to not trust an algorithm on a purely theoretical weakness (which I find a bit hilarious... we're signing games, not top secret software!!) and so marked as invalid all the installers I did.
Not-so-theoretical and even if it's just for games, opens up a potential malware vector. I think most browsers have moved up their sha1 deprecation date to mid-2016 from 2017, so you may want to resign your installers soon.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: "digital signature is corrupt or invalid" error

Post by jack1974 »

I got the new certificate, the problem is that I also wanted to wait to have a new stable Ren'Py version before updating 15+ games :oops:
Honestly I see many other indies who don't even sign their installers (like Hanako for example, so famous ones), so... well, anyway since I paid for the certificate I'll use it, but might wait a few weeks hoping to see a new stable release of Ren'Py.
For PSCD of course no, since I already used the latest Ren'Py version. I risked a bit but I like to support the developer by testing the system myself directly with my users :)