Discussion about future games

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Discussion about future games

Post by jack1974 »

The thing is that it's really hard for me, but also for people in general to judge writing (or the results from an editor). That's why I usually give people a chance. Make one game, maybe two. Then I carefully read the various reviews/feedbacks. If a game has 96% positive rating on Steam (Heirs & Graces) it really means that that writer knows how to write (it has the highest rating of all my games despite people didn't like much the art!).
On the other hand if I see many repeated critics about someone, in particular if worked on multiple games, doesn't matter if I thought it was good/OK, because ultimately it's the market who makes the decision for me! :oops:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I have now coded 90% of Cursed Lands stuff. There's a boss fight I could code, but I prefer to have all the four vampire lieutentants texts, so I can compare the others and try to make each boss battle of similar difficulty (more or less).
Writer is going to write some optional sidequests and extra scenes. There's still a lot of texts missing and as I posted in the thread, the game already broke the 200,000 words barrier :lol:
It's a bit tragicomic but to be honest, even with "only" 6 romanceable characters (of which 2 homosexual only) if you want to build up their personality/backstory/etc so that the romances won't feel rushed, you probably need around 100k words JUST FOR THAT :mrgreen:

In this case also the scenes change depending who you recruit first, so there is almost double texts for the starting recruitment quests and the follow up "saving the other character" quest, so most texts won't be seen in a single playthrough. Hopefully people will want to play the game again to see the differences!

Anyways, I'm taking a break from CL this week to focus on Love Bites and code the base gameplay in case we manage to release the beta/preorder later this month :)
Katicflis
Young scout

Post by Katicflis »

I looooooove Miakoda's writing. It's so sad to think Love Bites is gonna be her last game with you. >.<
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Why will be her last game? I missed something? lol you know something I don't!
SimonStardust
Woods ranger

Post by SimonStardust »

Regarding writing styles:
I really hope in the future we will get lesser games using 2nd person narrative (or "the dreaded you-style" how I like to call it :,D)
It already screwed romances for me in PSCD and I know it's going to be the same with Love Bites. (Even though it's the game I'm looking most forward to. Sadly. :cry: )
I don't really know what it is... but it makes me cringe every time I'm reading romances written in 2nd person narrative - like I don't want to experience the story as if I was the MC. That's just... no... it's gross to me. :,D
I really love your games... so I will get them no matter what (except the yuri ones... just not my cup of tea), but 2nd person narrative really is something which makes me think twice about purchasing a game. (Lol... if it wasn't for the cool yaoi romances... I guess I really would skip Love Bites because of the narrative. :,D)
Beware! Peerons ahead! xD
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

jack1974 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:20 am Why will be her last game? I missed something? lol you know something I don't!
Well, you did just post you were writing all future games yourself... ;)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

SimonStardust wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:34 am I don't really know what it is... but it makes me cringe every time I'm reading romances written in 2nd person narrative - like I don't want to experience the story as if I was the MC.
But YOU are the MC!!! :lol:
In Cursed Lands it's first person, I think probably I prefer that one slightly better but I'm not so against second person. I guess it's personal tastes :)
Troyen wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:46 am Well, you did just post you were writing all future games yourself... ;)
Yes but it's obvious that I won't write ALL the games myself, from my latest blog post:
In practice I’ll still be using a few selected external writers who have proven to be reliable and also skilled, but mostly I’ll be back writing the games myself and use editors only.
I might just end up writing myself only the fantasy ones since those are really the most problematic (lots of things to take into account because of world building, etc). But for example a game set in college life? I wouldn't know where to start :)
I'm going to change from:
10 games ALL written by external writers (total madness just to manage/schedule/plan stuff)
to
4-5 games of which 2-3 by external writers max
but mostly, even if I write just one game at time myself, those will be released faster (probably one a year) since I am fully committed, have time, it's my job and only need to wait for an editor (which should be faster than writing a story from scratch).

And to be honest, Miakoda is already planning to help me with PS2, so for sure LB won't be her last game :mrgreen:
SimonStardust
Woods ranger

Post by SimonStardust »

jack1974 wrote:But YOU are the MC!!! :lol:
In Cursed Lands it's first person, I think probably I prefer that one slightly better but I'm not so against second person. I guess it's personal tastes :)
Actually... no. ^^;
The MC always has a name and a face. To make it really feel like I was the MC... it really had to be me.
For me playing games is actually experiencing the MCs story. So it feels kinda off to me to be addressed by the narrative. Especially during romances. (Well, I guess I'm just weird. :lol: )

First person on the contrary is my favourite kind of narrative. It's like the character is telling their story to you. ^^
Cursed Lands is one of the games where I really love the writing so far. I definitely will get it once it's out. ^^
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I don't remember which games of mine use what. I know Loren is 3rd person. Bionic Heart it's first person, like most of the games I wrote (I prefer to write 1st person myself, I find it easier).
I agree that Cursed Lands writing so far is really good, one of my favorites. Hopefully even the scenes I wrote myself will be good enough (but I think so, the writer reviewed/edited them and the result seems fine).
SimonStardust
Woods ranger

Post by SimonStardust »

Actually so far I had that problem only with PSCD to be honest. :lol: Maybe I over exaggerated because I liked that game so much and then I couldn't really enjoy the romances. :,D Same with Love Bites. (Yeah, but nothing is going to stop me from playing that one. Not even 2nd person narrative. :) )
Anyway, yes, I agree: I find first person easiest to write, too. ^^
Oh, I'm pretty sure the scenes will be fine. I enjoyed your writing back then in Spirited Heart and the original Planet Stronghold... (despite obvious grammar mistakes - but with an editor it should be all good, I think) ... and I actually learned English with your games. :lol: