Discussion about future games

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Discussion about future games

Post by jack1974 »

Haha, well if it's done with some humor (dark humor obviously!) it could work :lol:
dasboot32
Young scout

Post by dasboot32 »

Maybe a game where you play as the lieutenant for an evil dictator. But halfway through the game you end up joining the heroes you were originally fighting against. Then later a DLC can come out where you have the choice to continue siding with the dictator.

But I cant totally see why most people wouldn't want to play as a murderous psychopath like Lord Raul Capello. They're hard to relate to and even harder to sympathize with.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

dasboot32 wrote: But I cant totally see why most people wouldn't want to play as a murderous psychopath like Lord Raul Capello. They're hard to relate to and even harder to sympathize with.
:twisted: :lol: Yes haha!
I think grey characters, or tough/moral choices like the example you made instead could be interesting to write and play :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:That's a risky topic, since I think it's rare for people wanting to side with "evil" characters.
If we talk about "grey" characters though, that would be interesting and many people could like it.
Actually it is not that rare for people to want to side with "Evil " characters from time to time, true in most of those stories enemies are also "Evil" so it tends to be Evil VS Evil story, like Anime Overlord for example.
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

jack1974 wrote:I think grey characters, or tough/moral choices like the example you made instead could be interesting to write and play :)
Indeed, I've always been fascinated by characters that blur the line between hero and villain. And far too few games allow one to play such a role.

It'd be really cool to see such. 8)
Kitirena
Young scout

Post by Kitirena »

Miakoda wrote:
kadakithis wrote:I love Westerns, and i love ancient fantasies that are based on old cultures. So Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greek, Ancient Persia and many others always make me curious. But always loved Westerns new and old.
Not that I mind fantasy games either, but they are all Western Europe derivatives. Heck, if a big game company did something with a Mayan aesthetic, I would be psyched.
I agree that a lot of Fantasy settings tend to look like medieval Europe, and most Steampunk settings look like Victorian-era Great Britain. Personally, I'd like to see something set in Meiji Reformation-era Japan, since it lends itself to a Steampunk or Gaslamp Fantasy setting beautifully. On the one hand, you have the samurai, ninja, geisha, etc. of medieval Japan, but on the other hand, you have all these 1800s era European powers bringing in new technologies and influences. It doesn't take that much of a stretch of the imagination to mix in yokai like kitsune, nekomata, etc. of Japanese mythology to make a wonderful Steampunk/Asian fantasy hybrid out of that era, plus it's not done to death like Medieval Europe or Victorian England.

Although I also agree that Central and South American cultures (i.e. Maya, Aztec/Olmec/Toltec, and Inca) represent a vastly underused opportunity as well, if handled well. I'd be curious to see something that incorporates those cultures, if it's done well, just for the novelty.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

Just had a thought, though I don't know how feasible it would be...but it would be interesting if in a dating sim if it was based on some of the old dating game shows...or something like the Bachelor/Bachelorette.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm I am not sure exactly what you mean, probably some popular US TV shows? like where strangers meet and then could fall in love? (we have stuff like that even here but not sure if this is what you meant).
I once had an idea about a game that started during a speed dating event, though it was more a horror/thriller than dating sim :lol:
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:Hmm I am not sure exactly what you mean, probably some popular US TV shows? like where strangers meet and then could fall in love? (we have stuff like that even here but not sure if this is what you meant).
I once had an idea about a game that started during a speed dating event, though it was more a horror/thriller than dating sim :lol:
That is the idea, though the ones I am thinking of are definitely American in nature. There is one person, and they talk to 3 or 4 contestants, asking them questions, etc...and then they go out on a date to see how compatible they are.

The Bachelor/Bachelorette works along the same lines, though with a few more people.

And a speed dating event could work...and horror/thriller is fine. For that matter, you could also go with a comedy as well. And it might work better as a scene within a game rather than a whole game.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes as scene probably is better, the whole game could be too much. Interesting idea, surely to be used in some future dating sim. Even as comedy as you said would be good I think :)