Comment to latest blog 10th september 2015

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
Alex81
Woods ranger

Comment to latest blog 10th september 2015

Post by Alex81 »

Heya, comments didn't work for for me at the blog, so thought I'd share a few thoughts here (feel free to move the post ,if in the wrong forum, thought this was the right one however)

"When you mentioned Choice of Games (and their "user-written Hosted Games brand"), you certainly managed to raise my interest.

I -love- these kinds of games, and have spent quite a few hours reading their like.
There are some true pearls published by Choice of Games, as well as the userwritten games they host/publish
Some of the user-written games are actually quite a bit better than CoG's own, others don't even come close to their standards. (good idea to read the free part of their games too)

Perhaps this is one of the reasons I like -most- of Winterwolves games so much, their very similar to the interactive book/novel format.

And though I can really really enjoy linear game experiences (loved Gears of War series), choice and branching storylines have always been my absolute favourite part of games.

It's the best difference between a game and movie (in my personal opinion) , that....the ending isn't truly set in stone, that you can have a say in which direction the plot goes.
Even if the main plot in many games remain the same, I still enjoy the idea that I can influence the main character(s) reaction to the plot.

A great movie is a fantastic experience, but it's exactly the same experience the next time you see it (even if you may notice subtle things, you didn't the first time around), a game?
Well a great game gives you choice, it's not necessearily the same experience each time around.

This is the reason I've always preferred games like RPGs ,-and- ones that give you meaningful choice of what happens next. Again, I often enjoy linear game experiences, but for me?
Choice is King

Winterwolves have excelled here, Seasons of the Wolf, Loren and Planet Stronghold gave you a choice of what character to play, and branching storylines (flee to the elves, or....)

So yes, I'm both curious and interested in seeing where this new project may take us :)

Also good luck with Dead but Alive : Southern England!
(going to try the demo again for sure)"
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Comment to latest blog 10th september 2015

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I prefer too when there is branching and alternate path/routes, than linear stories. The blog was about the different format, still you could call it a VN, but with B&W illustration and paragraphs to read instead of the "screenplay format".
A bit like Pillars Of Eternity scenes. I love those :)
Alex81
Woods ranger

Post by Alex81 »

The Pillar's of Eternity interactive cutscenes were great :) Wished there were more of those too
Excited for your upcoming project here for sure
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think I found an artist, but now my main problem is what setting to use :)
I was thinking to make a fantasy story set in Aravorn, I have a nice idea for it. I also have SEVERAL ideas for horror games with Vera Blanc character. I'm a bit reluctant about that one considering the poor sales, however is true that I wrote them myself... :lol: so, at least the writing shouldn't be of poor quality this time.
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

jack1974 wrote:I think I found an artist, but now my main problem is what setting to use :)
I was thinking to make a fantasy story set in Aravorn, I have a nice idea for it. I also have SEVERAL ideas for horror games with Vera Blanc character. I'm a bit reluctant about that one considering the poor sales, however is true that I wrote them myself... :lol: so, at least the writing shouldn't be of poor quality this time.

OMG! Are you serious about a new Vera Blanc release, or do you just like seeing me get excited?

Very respectfully,
fleet
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

It's one of the possibilities. But really the poor sales of first two titles makes this a true gamble, so it's the less likely option :mrgreen:
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

jack1974 wrote:It's one of the possibilities. But really the poor sales of first two titles makes this a true gamble, so it's the less likely option :mrgreen:
Oh, well, one can dream.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

tried to make quickly a mockup for the "old book style", reusing some clipart and on the right one of the original images for Loren intro comic (which I discarded later). I like the look, with a real artist doing the borders and everything would look nice.
The texts are from a Cursed Lands scene :) The choices are made up by me :lol:
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

Of course, one person doesn't a demographic make, but I could see myself playing something like this :) Then again, I do enjoy some basic text games (Choice of games), so something spruced up would garner my attention.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks :) Feedback on twitter was good too, but of course it's not really possible to draw conclusions. I might do one anyway in my "free time" just because I like the idea!