"alternate realities" for romances?

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: "alternate realities" for romances?

Post by Franka »

iWeasle wrote:
jack1974 wrote:Yes, actually the idea was related to that amazon expedition on N'Mar fighting the vampires. I wanted to experiment with different combat mechanics. An early disclaimer: everything will be just "for fun" done in my free time, as prototypes. I have already a lot of "official titles" to finish before :) and this would be one of those "shorter games".
Spoiler:
That said I was thinking that if you play as Karen, you could have the "forbidden" romance of Ryzom (the slave with who Karen escapes in Loren 1) or another amazon yet to be named. The "canon ending" would then be Ryzom of course since that's what happens in Loren 1. The other could have been just a romance that after some years ended.
An alternative is to introduce other amazon characters, that don't take part in Loren's story, and have only lesbian romances :mrgreen:
I don't think anyone but maybe the guy who said
Franka wrote: Always keeping in mind, of course, that an ending with a romance that won't last forever doesn't feel like some kind of moralizing punishment - the lesbian relationship was bound to end badly, because lesbians, for example.
this would have a problem with your final idea :mrgreen: .
No, that would be a misunderstanding. I was saying that if a romance is to end badly, it should be for story reasons, and not come across as some kind of moral judgement on behalf of the writer.
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

Franka wrote:
iWeasle wrote:
jack1974 wrote:Yes, actually the idea was related to that amazon expedition on N'Mar fighting the vampires. I wanted to experiment with different combat mechanics. An early disclaimer: everything will be just "for fun" done in my free time, as prototypes. I have already a lot of "official titles" to finish before :) and this would be one of those "shorter games".
Spoiler:
That said I was thinking that if you play as Karen, you could have the "forbidden" romance of Ryzom (the slave with who Karen escapes in Loren 1) or another amazon yet to be named. The "canon ending" would then be Ryzom of course since that's what happens in Loren 1. The other could have been just a romance that after some years ended.
An alternative is to introduce other amazon characters, that don't take part in Loren's story, and have only lesbian romances :mrgreen:
I don't think anyone but maybe the guy who said
Franka wrote: Always keeping in mind, of course, that an ending with a romance that won't last forever doesn't feel like some kind of moralizing punishment - the lesbian relationship was bound to end badly, because lesbians, for example.
this would have a problem with your final idea :mrgreen: .
No, that would be a misunderstanding. I was saying that if a romance is to end badly, it should be for story reasons, and not come across as some kind of moral judgement on behalf of the writer.
Oh, K den, sorry :lol: .
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

jack1974 wrote:There's also another consideration to do, that I've done privately with writers before: the different longevity of the various races.
For example, Saren being human won't be able to live long enough as Myrth, or Elenor will see Amukiki die before she turns middle age :mrgreen:
I've never touched such topics because they're quite dramatic... but as a matter of facts, humans live much less than most other races, so in theory they should only romance each other, otherwise they just know that they'll die sooner than their partner :cry:
That's always an option, and it doesn't necessarily have to be too heavy, you can treat it like the Asari do in Mass Effect, in which they know that they're going to outlive their partners so they just focus on making the most of the time they have, and afterwards, don't forget their past partners, but move on.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Franka wrote: No, that would be a misunderstanding. I was saying that if a romance is to end badly, it should be for story reasons, and not come across as some kind of moral judgement on behalf of the writer.
Yeah, you know me well enough to know that whenever happened was totally random. I would never want to "punish" any yuri/yaoi romances/characters :mrgreen: so in case of Karen that would be for story reason ONLY, because in start of Loren 1 she wouldn't be with a woman. Anyway, for now I'm just prototyping for fun :)
iWeasle wrote:That's always an option, and it doesn't necessarily have to be too heavy, you can treat it like the Asari do in Mass Effect, in which they know that they're going to outlive their partners so they just focus on making the most of the time they have, and afterwards, don't forget their past partners, but move on.
Yes of course. Though is still a bit sad :|
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

jack1974 wrote: Yes of course. Though is still a bit sad :|
Can't really argue with that.