ultimate romance poll!

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

what kind of romance you'd like to see / play ?

You may select up to 8 options

View results

Alex81
Woods ranger

Re: ultimate romance poll!

Post by Alex81 »

ValHallen wrote:
asskika wrote:
in every romance pool on the forum shows that G x G is what Winter Wolf's fans like the most.

Krimm is the best romance of SOTW, no need to feel sad for not romancing Chalassa.
But in Loren we got the short end of the stick, Myrth is one of the most boring character every and Karen is a hell of a Milf.
In PS I shall always be partial to Rebecca, don't care about the others, but I can understand why someone would want to romance Michelle.
NO .... I'm happy people have different opinions on these romances, but in regards to Krimm?
It's -really- really -really- the character I've had the most problem with, in any game (well, perhaps ...since a moment in FF7 I started hating Sephiroth, but enough about that)

Krimm, she's the only character that's made me go back to load an older save more than hour back in time, reason was .... The story didn't allow you to break things off with her after finding out about her real background story / about her tribe.
This was the moment I realized she was a monster (in my personal opinion) I could not simply say "'tis alright, let's continue on as if nothing happened"

There were darker themes in Seasons of the Wolf, and with Krimm you visited some of those.
Though for me it made it impossible for me to -want- to continue any romance (honestly, if they'd let me, I'd kick her out of the party, permanently).

Perhaps my reaction was, strong here, perhaps she's "no Sephiroth" ,she does explain herself quite well, where she's coming from, and and the reason for her actions. This is also one of the reasons the -one- thing I criticize SOTW for is the lack of options when comes to romances.
(as in my opinion, Shea's only "acceptable" romantic option was Riley) Fewer romance options means there's a bigger chance there's no "interesting ones" in the eyes of the players)

Riley's okay, I liked both Chalassa and Jariel's, perhaps especially Chalassa's as hers was TOUGH to get the happy ending => something to fight for)

Having experienced Krimm's romance too, now that I explored the new VN mode for SOTW, I'll agree it's a -good- romance, it's just not one I really want to pursuit.

=> I'm likely to try all romances ('cause I'm a competionist too), but there are certainly some I prefer to others.
This usually boils down to how well they're written (and how I react to different kinds of writing)
Krimm's a great character 'cause of the writing (otherwise I wouldn't really have -cared-) ,realizing the truth at that tribal camp, made the betrayal I felt feel very real => she had lied about a -really dark past)
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

I mean I agree with you. Krimm made having her in the party at all in future playthroughs frustrating because I feel there is no excuse, she is pretty darn evil, and kinda wish the guys had been a little dark to couteract both female romances. I will say Chalassa without cheats is harder to get a happy ending and without looking it up, probably not gonna happen.

As far as Karen vs Mryth I think that is more one to the other (personally I agree with you) but several on here wished they had Myrth and I feel its just a take on who likes what more. With 2 other options I dont think either lesbians or straight men were given any trouble.

But you gotta mention in PS there were 2 options for straight guys, and only one for lesbians who just talked about her boyfriend the entire romance. In roomates, straight guys got all 3 girls, and lesbians got 1. I don't think its unfair when 2 groups have the same number, but some characters are more popular than others. Thats hard to predict. Although telling Jack you want more similiar characters to the popular ones might help, but really its luck if you like what you got. Believe me, I'm a Bioware fan, and someday the option I want will be available, but until then gotta hope.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I can't for sure predict if a character will be popular or not :)
I mean in PSCD I had the feeling that Rigel, Charlotte, Galina and Kaden would be, and indeed they are (especially the last two considering the romance DLC is not even out!) but very often you have surprises.
The thing I'm trying to do in future games is to have an even amount of romances for all the genders and sexual orientations, even if it's not always possible as you can imagine :)
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

I totally get having equal numbers is not easy. Might work to switch back and forth if need be, more for this group one game, more for another group in the next, but that seems to raise hackles for whatever group has less, so hard to predict. I think we can agree not prefering options we have is just sometimes how it rolls.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

We can't all get exactly what we want, every single time. Nor are we entitled to. I have my personal preferences too, but the best romance I think we can get is one that you really feel the writer wanted to write. Sometimes we get romance tropes that feel like they're there because it's expected, those can be pretty uninteresting. Of course we can strongly disagree with what the writer has to say, but it's still more involving if there clearly was some spark to begin with.
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

Alex81 wrote:snip
Well the only thing I agree with you is that Krimm's romance is good.

Let me start saying she never has betrayed you, she has lied and ommited her past (just like Riley and Chalassa did), but in no way betrayed you.

You can think she is a monster, but she is just a human. She committed a mistake born of desire of vengeance and rage, but later she showed how regret for what she did, she payed for her crimes with years of being a slave, she learned with that and loathes any kind of slavery (and do everything to help the blacksmith's family) and when faced with the man who she wronged the most, while at first she tried to "regain her honor", she saw the futility of the course of action and put herself at his mercy to receive any punishment he would inflict to her. By that time she was not the same Krimm, in fact I would bet that if she could, she would have stopped herself from commiting that crime.

And that is the beautiful thing of her romance, is to see the bloodthirst Krimm who fought for honor, to become the Krimm that fought to free slaves, the Krimm that has the courage to face her past and mistake, and in the end see how motherhood changed her again, as she seeks a peaceful life for her children.

You can judge her all you want, but remember she did you no wrong and was forgiven by the man who she wronged the most. She is no psycopath without emotions (being ruled by her emotions are in fact her primary characteristic) and never betrayed you like Chalassa can do.
She is no more evil than Chalassa, Mesphit or Rei.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I agree with everything ValHallen said. Krimm grew up in the nomads world, with their culture. If she was born in Grimoire, maybe you could accuse her of being a bit psycho, but in their culture what she did to her tribe was "normal".
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

jack1974 wrote:I agree with everything ValHallen said. Krimm grew up in the nomads world, with their culture. If she was born in Grimoire, maybe you could accuse her of being a bit psycho, but in their culture what she did to her tribe was "normal".
True, but we can't help but judge the world through our own world view and values. Its why in period pieces the heros have modern values. I like Krimm was that way, and glad you were willing to go there, but can't ever like her. To me, she wasn't a psycho so much as selfish to the point of evil and while forgiven she crossed a line that I feel the characters just could never trust her.

But I love her as a character.
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

kadakithis wrote: True, but we can't help but judge the world through our own world view and values. Its why in period pieces the heros have modern values. I like Krimm was that way, and glad you were willing to go there, but can't ever like her. To me, she wasn't a psycho so much as selfish to the point of evil and while forgiven she crossed a line that I feel the characters just could never trust her.

But I love her as a character.
You can dislike her and distrust her, that's your opinion and I respect, but judging for one action that she clearly has remorse and wish to be punished? I think its not fair.
Alex81
Woods ranger

Post by Alex81 »

What makes a great character in a story is that they make you ,care, they get to you, as opposed to a -dull- character you won't even notice.
Krimm is one of those characters that really drew me into the game, she got a reaction out of me, as opposed to characters you barely even notice.

For me the turning point with my relationship with her was the events outside Shacklepit. Rushing to kill -every- last tribesman before her secret got out, I was simply mildly annoyed at first she didn't "stay in formation" and stay back when asked.

That she repented only -after- having been stopped kind of tipped the entire situation over in "too little, too late" territory.
It didn't sit right with me at all, I do regret I used the word "betrayal" in all this, as Krimm -had- done right by the party since joining, but as Kadakithis said? There are things people won't accept (easily) ,the nomads values -did- cause this to come about, that doesn't change the fact that I can't abide by those actions, no matter the reasoning