my games on GoG.com

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: my games on GoG.com

Post by jack1974 »

Well maybe I can try again later. To be honest I don't get much request from people/customers to have my games there, so I didn't bother to push/ask again :)
A major factor could be that my games are mostly ignored by press and probably they judge a game success by press coverage while (luckily for me!!) is not always the case.
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Luckily for us all, if the only games that ever sold well were the ones that got attention from the big press coverages, I would of missed out on many of my favorite games!, and that would be a sad place to live in.

So I'm glad it's not the case :)
senhua1980
Young scout

Post by senhua1980 »

Agreed, GOG prioritize the "big" name / promotion game first as they rejected several games considered being "too niche" but in other side they need to cater the habit of their customer which I already mentioned above. This create a "paradox" in their selection process as the "big" name/ promotion games usually marketed through : preorder exclusive content, DLC, high prices, DRM (even offline activation code is also being considered as a DRM to them), etc.

So I think until GOG can solve this "paradox". Their store cannot growth as like Humble or others.
This is very sadly I think because they were the first one who pioneered DRM free revolution.
senhua1980
Young scout

Post by senhua1980 »

Sylrissa wrote:Luckily for us all, if the only games that ever sold well were the ones that got attention from the big press coverages, I would of missed out on many of my favorite games!, and that would be a sad place to live in.

So I'm glad it's not the case :)
This is why I usually scoop http://nichegamer.net/ , http://www.siliconera.com/ , http://www.dsogaming.com/ .
I rarely go to the likes Gamespot, IGN, PC gamer, etc.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well you wouldn't find news about my games on those sites either :lol:
I've stopped chasing journalists 3-4 years back when I discovered that was a waste of my time, and to be honest talking with other indies the impact on sales is practically null. Better focus on social media and word of mouth IMHO. Reviews on big sites are only helpful to "convince" some portals that your "game is good". Probably because playing it or listening to the developer itself takes too much time/effort :wink:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Saw today Gog announced Hatoful Boyfriend. Well, I'm a bit at loss of word honestly. Not because I think my games are better than that one, but because so far their reply was that "my game is not a good fit" so yeah OK, they don't want visual novels, or dating sims, or manga, or whatever. But after today ? :o
If they reject my games again, it means it's personal :lol: and well ,their loss at this point.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:Saw today Gog announced Hatoful Boyfriend. Well, I'm a bit at loss of word honestly. Not because I think my games are better than that one, but because so far their reply was that "my game is not a good fit" so yeah OK, they don't want visual novels, or dating sims, or manga, or whatever. But after today ? :o
If they reject my games again, it means it's personal :lol: and well ,their loss at this point.
Yeah, I just saw this on GoG, and I had a WTF? moment. Like you said, some of their choices are rather...arbitrary.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well, in the end they'll all bow to the power of the wolves! MOUAHAHHA Resistance to romance is futile!
(12 published games on Steam + 2 to come in next months... :wink:)
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

They can't hold out forever!.

But seriously I'd say try submitting one more time, since if memory serves you mentioned that you haven't in a long time?, and hope for the best?, though no matter the outcome I'll always prefer to buy direct, so no skin off my nose, but It'd rub me the wrong way to see them still refuse you after this latest release. (since I always just assumed that they didn't like anime/manga art style games previously)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I tried submitting again a few days ago, before I saw this news. We'll see, though Loren is quite different anyway from that game :)