Wikia considerations...

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Wikia considerations...

Post by Miakoda »

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of establishing a wiki, especially for Loren the Amazon Princess as well as the world of Aravorn in general. I'm just curious what suggestions/ideas you have.

I do think the flagship entry should be Loren (and the sequel when it comes out) but should also be able to accommodate other games set in the world such as those already out (Magic Stones, Spirited Hearts) as well as ones that will be coming out (Loren 2, Spirited Hearts 2, Amber Magic Shop, Seasons of the Wolf, etc.)

There may well be guides/walkthroughs for the game, as well as characters, etc.

However, some other possible entries would include locales, timelines, races, bestiary, etc.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Wikia considerations...

Post by jack1974 »

Yes the main game is Loren, but the wiki could just be about the world of Aravorn. Then there would be the various games, but they should all share some common points (the races, laws, folklore, etc).
Where do you plan to host the wiki ? I admit I am not much an expert about that.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

I was thinking of the general free Wikia.

A good example is the Long Live the Queen Wiki
http://longlivethequeen.wikia.com/wiki/ ... Queen_Wiki

Or the Mass Effect Wiki
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_Wiki

Making it just about the world of Aravorn would be fine. And there would certainly be links to the various games, etc.

As for making it, there is a general tab at the top that says, 'Start a Wiki'
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool, I don't have much time now so if you want to do it and be the admin, you're welcome :mrgreen: I will contribute to it too of course.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:Cool, I don't have much time now so if you want to do it and be the admin, you're welcome :mrgreen: I will contribute to it too of course.
LOL...we are all at a premium for time. Its been all I can do to get time to fit in your games as it is. ;)

More seriously, it may look rather bare bones, etc. I know others will have good ideas on organization, etc.
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

I have an axe to grind with wikia. They can be rather fascist at times in the way they force interface changes on all their sites, making a mess of things. I still detest the way they dumbed down and oversimplified the menus a few years back, making it more cumbersome to find the pages that aren't important enough to make the handful of fixed spots that they allow, forcing sites like the Mass Effect wiki mentioned above to put a ton of links on the home page under Contents to get around the badly redesigned menus that were forced on them. Unfortunately I'm not not cognizant of a better alternative.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

P_Tigras wrote:I have an axe to grind with wikia. They can be rather fascist at times in the way they force interface changes on all their sites, making a mess of things. I still detest the way they dumbed down and oversimplified the menus a few years back, making it more cumbersome to find the pages that aren't important enough to make the handful of fixed spots on the menus, forcing sites like the Mass Effect wiki mentioned above to put a ton of links on the home page to get around the badly redesigned menus that were forced on them. Unfortunately I'm not not cognizant of a better alternative.
I do agree with you about the faults Wikia has. Heck, its only been about 4 months when they disabled anonymous posting for a good number of video game wiki sites.

Unfortunately, as you said, there aren't many better alternatives.
Last edited by Miakoda on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well I was wondering if was worth installing the wiki software (the one used by Wikipedia) on my server? that way at least you'd be sure there are no ads nor sudden changes?
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:Well I was wondering if was worth installing the wiki software (the one used by Wikipedia) on my server? that way at least you'd be sure there are no ads nor sudden changes?
Well, if you don't mind that would be great. I honestly don't know that much about installing the software itself. As I said above, I've only been a general contributor, not really an admin. I certainly am not an IT sort of person if something does go wrong. I certainly don't want to make more work on anyone else, either.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I wouldn't want to spend time on that either, even if probably installing it is not a big pain. I'll check if there's some paid solution without ads and then let you know, otherwise probably the only solution is to use wikia :oops: