Cultural/Societal Flourishes (with Loren spoilers)

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Cultural/Societal Flourishes (with Loren spoilers)

Post by Miakoda »

A more serious post this time, but let me say I do love the cultural/societal flourishes you put in your games. I certainly hope you continue to do this in your future games (especially the rpgs). Obviously, a codex approach wouldn't work too well, but it certainly makes the world 'more real'.

A great example is in the Lorenverse (Okay, technically more accurate to say Aravorn, but Loren is cuter ;) ). When Loren finds her legendary blade, other characters were aghast at how blasé she was about it. It makes sense when one realizes that while the Empire and the elves knew the gods forged the weapons, the Amazons don't have those stories/beliefs...instead having a form of ancestress worship of their Great Mothers.

For that matter, I also like how you hint at societal tensions in other areas. While the Empire is nominally run by the wizards, one can also see that the military really doesn't get along with them. I imagine they may also be a check on each other's power.

Even small touches in other games are done well. If one plays Spirited Hearts, and plays as an elf on the Thyme path, you find out that in elvish tradition, one may duel another for another's hand in marriage...and the contest doesn't have to be in a melee fashion.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Cultural/Societal Flourishes (with Loren spoilers)

Post by jack1974 »

Yeah most of those are freely added by the writers, so I must be careful not to make mistakes in the next/other games. Ideally I should write a world building doc, but I miss a few hundred hours to do that :lol:
About the tensions, big stuff is going to happen in Loren 2 that ultimately will break the Human Empire in smaller factions. But can't say more about it now :wink:
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:Yeah most of those are freely added by the writers, so I must be careful not to make mistakes in the next/other games. Ideally I should write a world building doc, but I miss a few hundred hours to do that :lol:
About the tensions, big stuff is going to happen in Loren 2 that ultimately will break the Human Empire in smaller factions. But can't say more about it now :wink:
I think world building is awesome. I admit, I was one of those who loved the old Codex/Travelogues like in the Mass Effect/Dragon Age series. I'm highly tempted to collate material put forth in the gameworld ;)

And thanks for the spoiler on Loren 2, though you really didn't have to do so :)
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

I love world-building, creating cultures and such. I find it very important to fictional settings, and even something like seeing new character art could easily shape an entire race for me.

I'm really glad you picked up on the tensions between the military and the wizards in the Empire, because that will definitely come back up.

We may include a codex this time around, since I've written some entries already on the forum. Actually, I adore the idea of the player character being tasked with writing the encyclopedia as they travel. It probably won't be an exhaustive account of the world, but I'm sure even the basics would be appreciated by people who've never played the game before (or haven't played in a while).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Aleema wrote: We may include a codex this time around, since I've written some entries already on the forum. Actually, I adore the idea of the player character being tasked with writing the encyclopedia as they travel. It probably won't be an exhaustive account of the world, but I'm sure even the basics would be appreciated by people who've never played the game before (or haven't played in a while).
I approve this idea as well :)
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

Aleema wrote:I love world-building, creating cultures and such. I find it very important to fictional settings, and even something like seeing new character art could easily shape an entire race for me.

I'm really glad you picked up on the tensions between the military and the wizards in the Empire, because that will definitely come back up.

We may include a codex this time around, since I've written some entries already on the forum. Actually, I adore the idea of the player character being tasked with writing the encyclopedia as they travel. It probably won't be an exhaustive account of the world, but I'm sure even the basics would be appreciated by people who've never played the game before (or haven't played in a while).
This sounds wonderful! :)
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

I love world-building, creating cultures and such. I find it very important to fictional settings, and even something like seeing new character art could easily shape an entire race for me.
Heh, there is a reason I love games like Civilization. I know when I DM/ST tabletop games, I try to introduce some details as such, even if its just a small bit of info to help differentiate towns, groups, etc.
It also shows the world as being dynamic. For that matter, I would not be surprised if the Weald didn't have its own agenda, hidden even from the druids like Myrth. And btw, nice use of the Saxon word for 'forest'.
This actually would make sense as well. And would fit the ending of Loren 1 somewhat ^_^

And like Jack1974 and P_Tigras, I'd like it. Of course, not if it would delay you too much ;)