Will Jack Headbang in the future?

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Will Jack Headbang in the future?

Post by jack1974 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:58 am

Well after the main game is out I wouldn't mind trying to experiment making some "nightmare versions" for the more hardcore players. Personally I HATE hard games, but seems that there's a good amount of people who like it :lol:

Solvus
Young scout

Post by Solvus » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:42 am

Do a voting poll of difficulty levels people are ok with playing?

Personally I play easy first time to see the story. 2nd time playing I focus on combat with hard and realize that the best equipment was limit more than expected, so were the abilities I didn't want to spend points on. More passive skills and/or equipment please.

peregrin
Young scout

Post by peregrin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:49 am

Hi,

to be clear, I'm not asking for particularly large amounts of saving and reloading. ;-) Anima's concept is, however, consistent with the idea of a colony cut off from external supplies. Having to manage your supplies emphasises that and increases immersion. On the other hand, a LLTQ-style notion of high-level dialogs can already help with that, and it is terribly annoying to have to go back to the beginning of the chapter because you couldn't foresee just how many battles you'd be fighting.

Some ideas:
  • Scouting/reconnaissance, as I suggested earlier, to give players the information that is actually needed to make strategic decisions about supplies
  • A small number of `get out of jail' cards: if you didn't plan ahead, you can get supplies/support from other factions, but at a price (affecting the storyline/epilogue/achievements), or a party member sacrifices themselves
  • Have the story schedule hard battles right after events that provide supplies (though that'll look rather silly if it happens more than once or twice)
Then again, don't you already have a colony simulator planned (and, hence, the potential necessity to back-track if you made poor decisions initially?)

-- peregrin

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:53 am

Solvus wrote:Personally I play easy first time to see the story. 2nd time playing I focus on combat with hard and realize that the best equipment was limit more than expected, so were the abilities I didn't want to spend points on. More passive skills and/or equipment please.
More equipment you mean more variety or more equipment slots?
Don't know if you refer to PS1 or Loren, because in Loren I had over 200 weapons and 200 armors... I thought that was enough ! But what I really would need to do is a random or pseudo-random item generator, and then manually do the unique/special items.
peregrin wrote:Then again, don't you already have a colony simulator planned (and, hence, the potential necessity to back-track if you made poor decisions initially?)
Yes, and the impact of that part could be much higher in the hardest difficulty levels, so for those who like to suffer :twisted: I think that should be already enough.
However I think that higher difficulty, IS fundamentally save/load. Otherwise how do you achieve higher difficulty? Harder=more likely to lose=more likely to reload. It's science! :mrgreen:

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:04 pm

Have to say though that of your 3 ideas, some are planned like the scouting/reconnaissance (in the pre-mission brief screen) and the hard battles right after you get some supplies is also something I had in mind. I didn't think about the "bonus card" idea though, is interesting :)

peregrin
Young scout

Post by peregrin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi,
jack1974 wrote: Otherwise how do you achieve higher difficulty? Harder=more likely to lose=more likely to reload. It's science! :mrgreen:
Well, under the assumption that players will always complete the game, you are right. But reloading to try a different strategy is very different from reloading to squeeze a different sequence of numbers out of the pseudo-random number generator.

By the way, when it comes to extra difficulty, another indie game, Eschalon, has an interesting strategy: players can choose to enable/disable game mechanics (such as having to manage food/water, or being allowed to save near fights). I'm not sure if that is what you had in mind, but I suspect that it may be easier to balance than scaling monster difficulty in four rather than in three levels.

-- peregrin

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:16 pm

Well I remember some battles in Loren that could be won using different strategies (not always, but often yes).
I know Eschalon guys personally, but never had time to play their games much (shame on me!). What you say is interesting, though to use that you need a RPG with much more gameplay elements. Don't think that would work in SOTW, but for PS2 maybe yes (ammo quantity or even water/food) and Loren too.
I am also a fan of letting the player decide when to face a tough battle, or when that is not possible for plot reason, give a good warning. Jumping into battle in hard difficulty is one thing, being warned and having time to prepare (maybe with a bit more grinding or crafting/buying some new items) is different.

Anyway, in general, I agree with all your suggestions (as well as many from other people), the only problem is having time to add the features needed to make them work in my games :lol:

Solvus
Young scout

Post by Solvus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:54 pm

jack1974 wrote:More equipment you mean more variety or more equipment slots?
Don't know if you refer to PS1 or Loren, because in Loren I had over 200 weapons and 200 armors... I thought that was enough ! But what I really would need to do is a random or pseudo-random item generator, and then manually do the unique/special items.
More variety, talking about Loren, well there was a point of level grinding then the equipment stuff didn't get any better on par. Like being lvl 20 but the equipment was mostly great at lvl 15-lvl 17? Been awhile since I played, remember especially that the daggers weren't that great either(which my MC used). I wonder if it is possible to have a weapon that lvls up with you and evolve that would be cool, limited of course

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:27 am

Yes, because I didn't really foresee people getting past level 17-18 :lol:
But as I said I think the only viable solution would be to have pseudo-random items like in Diablo or Torchlight, and then a few unique "handcrafted" items.

Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 am

I can easily see people passing level 18 - even if I did not in my recent playthrough. At least if you have the N'Mar expansion, you reach lvl 17 alone through main and some (maybe two thirds) sidequest, and random encounters. Once a player starts a bit of grinding in the towns, the party will go beyond. Of course this assumes you always use the same chars in combat.

Loren without N'Mar has IIRC no sidequests, there you will need a lot of grinding to reach level 20. (I would have to check my old saves to see what I reached last year, but with some grinding.)