Will Jack Headbang in the future?

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Will Jack Headbang in the future?

Post by deathknight1728 »

Myawww!!! Its rock and roll baby. But yeah, I really need to talk about game music in these games. I think that the Planet Stronghold ending game music was some of the most epic/awesome rock and roll music Ive heard in a video game in a while. It even tops dynasty warriors as the game gets old after twenty minutes :roll:

Lorens was cool because it was more of an emotional game and I can respect that but the maker of the songs on PS was a genius.

I think Roger Steel might be a good game to lay a rockin track down on.

I think Seasons of the Wolf should take after Loren.

Im not sure about the vampire game in my head. Prally would go well. Im still not sure if Jack will be ready to howl like a wolf in the future. Oh well, we'll see what happens.
?
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Will Jack Headbang in the future?

Post by jack1974 »

Ehm the one you mentioned (PS1 and Loren) were just using royalty-free tracks :oops:
The new games will have original custom soundtrack though! PS2 has already a full soundtrack with many rock tracks. Though not a RPG, Roommates has a very good soundtrack too with custom theme song. SOTW music is quite good so far, hope to manage to make more videos in next week (when is less hot) so I can also show the music.
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

Thanks for that tidbit of news!

One of the things I am hoping will go in your new games is something strangely you share with Vogel in common. That is the ranged weapons having unlimited ammo. I don't mind if there is a set amount so long as the base weapons have an unlimited ammo. I think it might be the most helpful thing a game designer can do as it makes ranged just as fun as melee. Im probably going to try Loren out as a ranged character next, prally a thief as I played a warrior 1st time.

Its just very helpful and I'll be glad if you include that in all your new games.
?
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

I'm not a fan of unlimited ammo. That's totally unrealistic. Neither am I a fan of manually having to click a lot of buttons on the screen every time I need to reload, which in some fights can be multiple times. Reloading should never be a chore for the player, even if it does have an effect in game. Ammo shouldn't be scarce, and you should shouldn't have to scrounge around for it after every fight, but if you didn't bring enough ammo to finish out the fight, then you -should- be screwed.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Scarce Ammo can be fun. However, scarce Ammo completely changes the nature of the game. One should be aware of the fact.

If Ammo were plentiful in Day Z like in a CoD or whatever, the whole sneaking around would become pointless. But if an avarage FPS would suddenly restrict the amount of ammo to be had, the kids would run away screaming, and go back to whatever FPS gives the thrill of gunning down without pause. Not that one game is that much "better" than the other in principle, but they are different, and the crowd playing them is different too.

For a game like PS2, which is a story-based RPG with a bit of dating sim thrown in, I feel like it might not be such a good idea. Because, if I wanted to romance Rebecca but feel I cannot waste ammo on a sidequest, that would be a major bummer. Indeed, I think, really scarce ammo makes the whole game revolve about it. This would be poison for the story, romance and everything else.

Having seperate Ammo as items gives some flexibility in game design and game play. Do I use up the superbullets now, or wait for the next boss? But this is a different question to "scarce ammo". So I tend to agree with P_Tigras.

TL;DR: Scarce Ammo: Why not generally speaking, but rather not in PS2.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The ammo scarcity in PS2 would affect only the missions. In practice there would be:
- ammo reserves in the colony, and there of course would be UNLIMITED basic ammo, and LIMITED special ammo
- ammo reserves in the mission, so what you bring with you on the mission, which would be LIMITED, even the normal ammo.
So it's not like if you do a sidequest with Rebecca/Tom/Milo/Lakadema/etc you waste the normal ammo, maybe only the special ammo, but is a big difference from the example you made.

In any case it could be an option depending on difficulty levels... depending how much Anima want to be an evil designer 8) Jokes apart, of course will listen to the beta feedback about it and change the rules for easier difficulty levels if needed.
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

Actually Jack is the evil designer in this case, I'm the nice one for a change.
Under the current plan ammunition is finite during combat but infinite outside.

On the other hand during the initial brainstorming sessions I did pitch a version whit scare ammo and neither loot nor experience from battles. To create an atmosphere where battles are scary and best avoided, where you are on an outpost whose resources are running out. Maybe next time. :twisted:
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

That is for Planet Stronghold 3: Prepare To Die edition :lol:
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Anima_ wrote:On the other hand during the initial brainstorming sessions I did pitch a version whit scare ammo and neither loot nor experience from battles. To create an atmosphere where battles are scary and best avoided, where you are on an outpost whose resources are running out. Maybe next time. :twisted:
Sounds like fun. Really. Yes, it would be great fun to play such a game.

However, as I wrote before. it would totally change the game. And the traditional Winterwolves-character would be lost.
jack1974 wrote:So it's not like if you do a sidequest with Rebecca/Tom/Milo/Lakadema/etc you waste the normal ammo, maybe only the special ammo, but is a big difference from the example you made.
Yes, I knew the game will run as you outlined. It was just for the sake of discussion, exploring where it leads if you make ammo scarce.
That is for Planet Stronghold 3: Prepare To Die edition :lol:
Where can i preorder? ;-)
peregrin
Young scout

Post by peregrin »

Hi,
Anima_ wrote: On the other hand during the initial brainstorming sessions I did pitch a version whit scare ammo and neither loot nor experience from battles. To create an atmosphere where battles are scary and best avoided, where you are on an outpost whose resources are running out. Maybe next time. :twisted:
From an atmospheric POV this is an excellent idea, IMO. The main issue being that players may end up being entirely paranoid about resources and end up not using limited resources at all. However, this could work when coupled with a reconnaissance aspect, so that players can make an educated guess as to how many/what kinds of battles they need to fight until they are resupplied (`there's a big group of armoured things coming in, so let's save our armour-piercing shells for that'). Of course, any characters sent on reconnaissance missions may not be available in the battles...

...though this is slowly turning into a turn-based strategy game here. Next we'll be building settlers and barracks and the Great Pyramids of Mars^H^H^H^HPlanet Stronghold (I forgot, was that the actual planet's name?).
Not that there is anything wrong with that.

-- peregrin